Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chip and PIn ATM cards

Options
  • 17-11-2008 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I got a replacement ATM card from TSB but it has chin and pin although it is not laser. What is this for. The only thing I can use it for is withdrawing money so I have to use a pin everytime anyway.

Thanks,
    Kaz.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Well I'm not sure really, but I know it can be handy if your magnet is damaged. The strip on my card, which is laser, is unreadable but luckily ATMs with a chip reader and the laser machines in shops can still use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Maybe they are planning on rolling out chip-enabled ATM machines? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You sure it's not Maestro ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Kazbah wrote: »
    Hi All,

I got a replacement ATM card from TSB but it has chin and pin although it is not laser. What is this for. The only thing I can use it for is withdrawing money so I have to use a pin everytime anyway.

Thanks,
    Kaz.

All the banks are doing this, even for ATM cards, harder to skim a Chip&Pin card...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

It comes on all new ATM cards for PTSB. Its for chip readers in ATMs, an extra security feature.

Anyway, as you may have guessed its still just an ATM card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement