Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise removal filter

Options
  • 17-11-2008 9:02pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was reading about a noise removal filter for IRC called Robot9000 whose basic premise is that any message which is an exact replica of an existing message is rejected.

http://blag.xkcd.com/2008/01/14/robot9000-and-xkcd-signal-attacking-noise-in-chat/

I think, if there was any way to incorporate this perl script into boards it would be a fantastic way to get rid of the
    +1
    Yore Ma
    I for one
    bollocks that pollutes AH among other forums.

Probably nothing useful in this suggestion, but just thought I'd put it out there.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yóre ma.
    y0re ma
    yore m@

Bit pointless seeing as it can easily be bypassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I don't think they'd need that script anyway. There's a trap for duplicate posts already which stops you reposting the same post soon after the old one. That feature could probably be tweaked to cover all previous posts and not just very recent ones.

Anyway as AC said, it would be too easy to get around. Also there are many legitimate situations where one post would be an exact duplicate of another.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

javaboy wrote: »
    I don't think they'd need that script anyway. There's a trap for duplicate posts already which stops you reposting the same post soon after the old one. That feature could probably be tweaked to cover all previous posts and not just very recent ones.

Anyway as AC said, it would be too easy to get around. Also there are many legitimate situations where one post would be an exact duplicate of another.

The point is not to ban people from using certain phrases, it's just to force you to think of something original (and an original spelling for 'yore ma' in one million AH posts would soon become tricky).

What legitimate reasons are there for posting exact duplicate posts? Both of you effectively said '-1' but it was nice to read your reasons :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The point is not to ban people from using certain phrases, it's just to force you to think of something original (and an original spelling for 'yore ma' in one million AH posts would soon become tricky).

yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! It's really not that hard to come up with an alternative spelling for it.
    What legitimate reasons are there for posting exact duplicate posts? Both of you effectively said '-1' but it was nice to read your reasons :)

Plenty of reasons. Just do a search for all the posts by actorseeksjob on virus removal. I'd imagine alot of them would be carbon copies but ask the users he has helped if they were useless posts that didn't deserve to be posted and I'd say they be quick to shoot you down.

If I see a duplicate thread I lock it and post a link to the other thread. One day there was about 4 or 5 thread all about the same thing. I just locked the smallest ones and posted a link to the biggest thread. I really wouldn't want to add in an extra word or two just to make it unique.

If someone asks for recommendations for a game/movie/book/whatever then you could easily get duplicate posts in that thread alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Check the motors forum for the thread on what size engine you drive. Now you might say that thread is more suited to a poll but if you look there are a huge number of unique answers so a poll wouldn't cover it. But then again about a hundred people probably wrote 2.0 and nothing else. Imagine how annoying it would be when you're not spamming or using some jaded internet meme but still have to jump through circles to post a simple answer.

I know where you're coming from but tbh the only place where I can see it being justified is on a few specific cases like "Yore Ma" and "+1". And as proven my AC, it wouldn't even work in those cases as it could so easily be gotten around.

The ideas unworkable. There's no demand for it. You haven't done your research. And for those reasons.... I'm out. :D

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    The ideas unworkable. There's no demand for it. You haven't done your research. And for those reasons.... I'm out. :D

With one dragon out, he only has four dragons left well three if you don't include Debra Meeden who doesn't really count as she never invests in anything, ever.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

But, but, I cashed in all my shares in thumnailquote to invest in this winner of an idea!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement