Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving to UCD

Options
  • 17-11-2008 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Just got a new job, in UCD. Most days I would have to drive in, others I could get the 145, but I'm just wondering if anyone else takes this route..

What would be the best route to take? M50/ M11?

How long does it take to get in in the mornings?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Depends on what time of day you are going in. If i was ever going to ucd, i found the best route was up the m50 and take the dundrum exit and pass the beacon hospital and keep going striaght in!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Get the 84X less than a hour from kilcoole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

As I said i need my car most days for going places after work.

It'd be the usual 9am start. I was thinking of the Dundrum exit, have seen it at rush hour 5.30 / 6 but not in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Moobui

I have to be in for 9 and I need to take the Owenstown entrance. I was going down the N11 and it was taking anything from 1hr 15 mins to nearly 2 hours if it was raining. I now take the M50 instead of going straight at the Beacon I turn right and then left at the lights where the LUAS crosses, straight here then left at the end of this road (I think it's the kilmacud rd) then immediately right, straight again until the end of this road, left on to fosters avenue and right on to Owenstown Park. I leave from Delgany around 8 and am there for 8.45/8.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I use the M11/M50 and take the Dundrum exit, head towards Goatstown as far as the The Goat, and take a right down Fosters Avenue. There are just too many sets of lights on the N11. I go off-peak though, so miss the worst of the traffic.

It's pretty bad at the moment because of some roadworks - the exit road is down to one lane until the traffic lights at the top, causing a tailback all the way back to the motorway.

• Advertisement

Moobui wrote: »
    I have to be in for 9 and I need to take the Owenstown entrance. I was going down the N11 and it was taking anything from 1hr 15 mins to nearly 2 hours if it was raining. I now take the M50 instead of going straight at the Beacon I turn right and then left at the lights where the LUAS crosses, straight here then left at the end of this road (I think it's the kilmacud rd) then immediately right, straight again until the end of this road, left on to fosters avenue and right on to Owenstown Park. I leave from Delgany around 8 and am there for 8.45/8.50.

I was thinking of that way but I'd get lost in the estates!
    eoin_s wrote: »
    I use the M11/M50 and take the Dundrum exit, head towards Goatstown as far as the The Goat, and take a right down Fosters Avenue. There are just too many sets of lights on the N11. I go off-peak though, so miss the worst of the traffic.

It's pretty bad at the moment because of some roadworks - the exit road is down to one lane until the traffic lights at the top, causing a tailback all the way back to the motorway.

Yeah this is the route i took on friday, worked out fine, left at 8.10 was there for 8.45.

Actually it took me longer to get home on Friday evening, leaving work at 3, took me just an hour to get home, traffic was crap going up towards the goat, going by Mt Anville. Weird!

thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Moobui

The one I have described doesn't entail going through any estates it's a straight road where you turn off at the luas and then straight again, through a series of mini roundabouts until you get to Foster's avenue. It sounds like the one you took is quicker though so I must give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I usually have to be in by 9am as well but go in for 7 instead! I have an informal arrangement with my colleagues (flexi-time). I use the M50 and Sandyford exit, past the Beacon and Goat straight onto Clonskeagh road and use the Clonskeagh entrance for UCD at the back. The way back is the same which is good at avoiding Mt Anville as this is always packed. Depending where you want to park I would go that way (I use the car park at the Health Sciences Centre.) Usually get back home around 3.

Yeah that's the way I'm taking, I'm working in Nova so need to take the Nova entrance!

I could be in for earlier but my hours are 9-5.30...i like my time in bed!!

It's not taking too long to get home either, left at 5.40 today and was in bray for 6.15 suppose it all depends on the weather too!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭seadog9

Hi Everyone,

Just got a new job, in UCD. Most days I would have to drive in, others I could get the 145, but I'm just wondering if anyone else takes this route..

What would be the best route to take? M50/ M11?

How long does it take to get in in the mornings?

thanks!

I do this trip everyday myself, I generally go on the M11 and enter UCD through the Clonskeagh entrance, takes an hour from central Wicklow in the morning and only 40mins during less busy times.

However parking there is atrocious many a time I've been blocked in for hours and there has even been damage done to my car with no explanation:mad:

So maybe entering from the M50 would yield better results! Though it seems to take that bit longer in the busy morning traffic.

• Advertisement

Was doing m50, take beacon exit and down by the goat but the m50 seems to crawl along when i've been in it. so have now been going up by enniskerry, stepaside and coming out at kilgobbin at the beacon exit. it's been quicker have to say!

Advertisement