Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turtle advice?

Options
  • 17-11-2008 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I have a pet turtle/terrapin (yellow bellied) 8 months now and he has grown quite a bit but his shell has gone patchy and faded. It is not soft and it is not anything growing on it and i am little worried. He is always hungry looking for food and I have given him more calcium sticks but that has not helped his shell but i have seen him eating the neutraliser stone. Maybe it is something to do with that... can anyone offer any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Photo's might help.
    Also.. . are you aware that the shell colour can fade as they age, especially if you had the Turtle since it was a hatchling ?
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

What are you feeding him?

Try adding variety - cheese, vegetables, fruit, cooked chicken, prawns etc ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The shell could be shedding - my guys do this often - every now & then I give my turtles a nice wash & scrub the shells & often pieces are lose & pull off to reveal stunning shiny shells underneath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tantina

I feed him pellets, reptomin sticks, supa shrimp and the ocasional fresh prawn, fruit or veg! I'll try some chicken tomo. Didnt know you could give them cheese??

I think you will be ok . Its just shedding. Just keep an eye on it and if it gets bigger go to the Vet. but going by that picture all seems fine .

If your worried anyway you can bring him to the vet .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tantina

ok thanks for de advice!:)

Advertisement