Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you get a letter with just a speeding gun?

Options
  • 17-11-2008 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭

Hi ,I was over the speed limit recently, only by a few km/hr but still, when i realised it I slowed down but noticed a garda car with a guard holding the gun right at where I would have been speeding.He seemed to be completey ignoring me and was focusing on where I had been driving.
    I did a search in this forum and I noticed alot of talk of gatso vans? Is there a big difference? Can I still get a letter with this guy or is he just out to catch people there and then.
    Other than that incident I have no worries as it was once off and was bad timing.
    Any help would be really appreciated. I dont really fancy ringing the guards and saying "Hi, I was speeding do you know if I was caught or not?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

wylo wrote: »
    Hi ,I was over the speed limit recently, only by a few km/hr but still, when i realised it I slowed down but noticed a garda car with a guard holding the gun right at where I would have been speeding.He seemed to be completey ignoring me and was focusing on where I had been driving.
    I did a search in this forum and I noticed alot of talk of gatso vans? Is there a big difference? Can I still get a letter with this guy or is he just out to catch people there and then.
    Other than that incident I have no worries as it was once off and was bad timing.
    Any help would be really appreciated. I dont really fancy ringing the guards and saying "Hi, I was speeding do you know if I was caught or not?"

If he did not stop you your safe lad, with handheld devices they stop you on spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

No. You wont get a letter if it was just a guard with a gun

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

think you will be fine unless he had it on a tripod(the ones with the camera on it) or there was a gatzo van.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

cheers for replies lads, appreciate it, yea he was just sitting in the car with the window down holding the gun out the window,
    thatll be the last time, a fine and penalty points is the last thing I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

If you were only a few km/h over the limit don't be too worried, most gards are actually humans, they will give you a few km/h this way or that.

They appreciate it's hard to drive exactly at the speed limit, so it's give or take a few km/h, and there are so many variables to be wrong, speedo over/under reading etc, gun inaccuricies ( which there are plenty of )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

wylo wrote: »
    Gatso:
    g232.jpg
    This camera which was burnt out in the UK. There about 20 cameras like this across Louth, Meath & Dublin but there are only about three with actual film in them at any one time - the film is allegedly rotated from time to time.
    Two serve as 'ambler gambler' cameras, one on the N4 at Kilmainham and the other used to be at Donnybrook but was removed several months ago to God knows where.

Gatso Van:
    gatso_m1.jpg
    The vans are unmarked and come in white (08-D-6xxxx), red, green & blue IIRC. They have blacked out rear windows with a small square cut out of the black window sticker where the camera peeps out.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Oh in relation to my first pic, this is possibly what happened to it. tsk tsk tsk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

kbannon wrote: »
    Gatso:

Gatso Van:
    gatso_m1.jpg
    The vans are unmarked and come in white (08-D-6xxxx).

That old transit in the pic you posted is still in use on a regular basis on the M1 (in the 80k) Northbound.

Advertisement