Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most fuel efficient cars on Irish market

Options
  • 17-11-2008 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

With all the increase in costs and recession could we get a thread started for the most economical cars on the irish market?

Which car is the most fuel efficient. I was born into the metric era so preferably could we measure them in km per litre or alternatively in m.p.g - I dont know how to convert between the two.

Cars like Toyota Yaris are traditionally easy on petrol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

culabula88 wrote: »

Cars like Toyota Yaris are traditionally easy on petrol.

For starters, switching to diesel is the way to go - lower CO2 and a lot more MPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Fuel efficiency is only one small aspect of the costs of running a typically sized car in Ireland. The whole-of-life costs need to be taken into account as well as depreciation, the cost of initial outlay and the cost of financing the purchase. What you use the car for should also be taken into account.

For instance, if you buy a Yaris on finance and change it every two years you may well spend more on it compared with someone who buys a Golf for cash and keeps it for five years. The most important thing is to buy a car that meets your needs, that you like, and that you can afford to run. It helps if its reliable and doesn't depreciate like a stone. Buying a car for fuel efficiency alone will not be enough unless you're very single-minded - I know - I used to run a Corolla diesel. Also, if you cover a lot of distance a small high mileage car may well be harder to get rid of than a larger high mileage car. My sister once put up 70,000 miles in three years on a Yaris - she saved a fortune on fuel and servicing was cheap but the car was almost unsaleable afterwards.

Edit:

Sustainable Energy Ireland have a list of the top 10 most fuel efficient cars (not sure that all are for on sale in Ireland). They are:

FORD New Fiesta, 2009 Model Year Onwards 1.6 Duratorq TDCi (90PS) (+DPF)
    SEAT Ibiza 1.4 TDI 80PS Ecomotion Diesel
    VOLKSWAGEN Polo 3 / 5 Door 1.4 TDI (80 PS) BLUEMOTION 1 with DPF Diesel
    TOYOTA Prius 1.5 VVT-i Hybrid Petrol Hybrid
    MINI MINI Hatchback R56 MINI Cooper D Hatchback - with particle filter
    TOYOTA Aygo 1.0 VVT-i 3 & 5 door Petrol
    CITROEN C1 1.0i 3 & 5 door Petrol
    PEUGEOT 107 1.0 (68 bhp) 3 door Petrol
    HONDA Civic Hybrid 1.4 IMA ES Petrol Electric
    MINI MINI Clubman R55 MINI Cooper D Clubman - with particle filter

Advertisement