Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educational DVD for babies

Options
  • 17-11-2008 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My friend will have a 3 month old by Christmas and I'd like to get her something a bit different ...

I was wondering what you think of those baby educational dvd's, ones that help early development, with word flashes and colours etc?

If you think they're useful and might be a good present, what would you recommend?

Thanks a mil!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Does your friend really want her baby sitting in front of the TV all day from such a young age.

Get something interactive. Stimulating their mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Baby Einstein have quite a selection and they are bi lingual - English and French.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Blisterman wrote: »
    Does your friend really want her baby sitting in front of the TV all day from such a young age.

They're not sitting in front of the tv all day - they're 20 mins long usually, and are great if Mum wants a few mins to wash her hair and put on the dinner. Nothing wrong with that.

I've read up on a few Baby Einstein dvd's and they look great. They're really supposed to grab their attention and help develop parts of their brain. The reviews on Amazon are pretty unanamous!

This is my friends first baby so I'm sure she has mountains of clothes and toys, I wanted to get something a bit different, and since she has to travel, it can't be bulky either.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

+1 for Baby Einstein.

We got the boxset of about 12 DVD's on eBay for €50 and really found them good. Going on 18 months now and we are using the animal discs to good avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yep...Baby Einstein. Got the full box set of 24 of them on ebay for about 30 euro. Thought they would be copies but it was the original box set still wrapped.
    They are very good and grabs their attention for a while. We use them for some "quiet time" for about 20 mins a day usually to calm them down around bedtime so we can bath one in peace while the other watches a dvd.

They love some of them (Baby Neptune in particular) but only have a passing interest in others and the dvds range in suitability from 0 to 2 years roughly I think.
    Blisterman wrote: »

Nothing wrong IMHO with limited exposure to tv for a little while. Obviously you aren't going to sit a baby in front of the tv all day. They will get bored anyway after a while so it wouldn't work for very long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

There is a Brainy Baby range of DVDs available too, hear good things about Baby Einstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

another vote for baby einstein. very good dvds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

another plus for baby einstein.

There's something incredibly soothing about them.

Cool thanks everyone! I've just bought Baby Mozart from the Baby Einstein range!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

sniff sniff...everyone who suggested Baby Einstien got thanks bar me...I feel so neglected :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Good choice. We got that for our child last christmas and she loved it. It helps with all sort of development and comes highly recommended.

Ludo wrote: »
    sniff sniff...everyone who suggested Baby Einstien got thanks bar me...I feel so neglected :(

Sorry!!!!! Rectified that now!! Cheers everyone :D

Advertisement