Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where is the money in law??

• 17-11-2008 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

NOTE: this thread is declared a recession free zone....

with that said, in ireland, what area of law on average has the highest remuneration level??

is it commercial/company law?? i heard criminal lawyers work for pennies, any truth to this??

is there, or will there in the next ten years be money to be made in the legal field??

and yes i am aware of the misconceptions that everyone in the legal field is paid bucket-loads, but im just curious as to above questions!

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

You'll be surviving on SU vouchers and goodie bags for a long while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Just show me the money!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

king-stew wrote: »
    is it commercial/company law?? i heard criminal lawyers work for pennies, any truth to this??

No, but compared to other areas it's relatively badly paid, especially if you consider the amount of time it takes for a barrister to prepare for a circuit court criminal case as against say a high court med neg case. They get twice the money for a fraction of the work in the latter. For solicitors the divide is even greater.

Also, the top guys in nieche civil areas can command exclusivity fees, whereas the best criminal lawyers are stuck, for the most part, with legal aid fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

sorry i did mean to say in comparison to other areas!

what are the niche markets?? intellectual property and that sort??

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

king-stew wrote: »
    sorry i did mean to say in comparison to other areas!

what are the niche markets?? intellectual property and that sort??

The biggest nieche of all is not based on what you know but who you know i.e. there are a select group of senior counsel who have been chairman of the bar council, att gen etc and they command massive fees. Likewise, there are certain solicitors firms who get the big lucrative government/insurance company cases and getting such work is probably the niechiest of all work.

Other than that, it's hard to identify nieces because it's usually a case of someone getting the reputation when there isn't much work available in a certain field e.g. IP, but then it suddenly takes off and they find themselves the go to guy with little or no competition. Eventually people hear that it is a lucrative nieche market and come flooding in, and then some other area keeps popping up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement