Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will happen when Vaclav is prez?

Options
  • 17-11-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭

It seems the President of the Czech Republic Vaclav Klaus is to take up to role of President of the EU soon so my question is. What's gonna happen? We know he's an Anti-EU figure and seems to be against the Lisbon Treaty so what dose that mean? Do you think he might take a different direction with the treaty? i don't mean will he stop it but will he try to do something to falter the Treaty? dose he have the power to do so? It seems to me that trouble might be brewing and maybe it might spell even worse problems in the future. All i can say now is don't say i told you so

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I don't know.

Alternate question;

What power does the Prez really have to turn the ship of the EU to his own private agenda?

Mmmmmm??????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

dresden8 wrote: »
    I don't know.

Alternate question;

What power does the Prez really have to turn the ship of the EU to his own private agenda?

Mmmmmm??????????????

Relatively little, although to listen to all the comments about Sarkozy you'd never think so...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Eurosceptic2008

A lot will depend on the Czech Constitutional Court. The Czech Senate referred the Treaty to the court some months ago to test its constitutionality. If it decides the Treaty is not constitutional, a referendum may be needed. President Klaus has a veto on laws that do not change the constitutio and would probably use it, but that veto can be overturned by a simple majority in both houses. The Court is expected to rule on 25th November. As an opponent of the Treaty, this is my greatest hope for stopping the Treaty and a second referendum in its tracks. If the Court finds that the Treaty is unconstitutional, then it can only pass with the approval of 60% of both the lower and upper houses of the Czech parliament. Following elections this year the ruling party (the ODS -also the party of President Klaus and pro-Lisbon PM Mirek Topolanek) fell from 45 to 35 seats, with their coalition partners the Christian Democrats and Greens on 7 and 1 respectively. The anti-Lisbon Communist party has 3 seats. Much of the opposition to Lisbon had been coming from a Eurosceptic faction of the ODS in the Senate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I doubt he will become a president of anything anymore..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Riddle101

WooPeeA wrote: »
    I doubt he will become a president of anything anymore..

What dose that mean? he is going to be president, once it's the Czech Republic's turn for the EU presidency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Riddle101 wrote: »
    What dose that mean? he is going to be president, once it's the Czech Republic's turn for the EU presidency

Will the Czech prime minister not be EU president?

John_C wrote: »
    Will the Czech prime minister not be EU president?

Not sure - but wasn't Bertie, as opposed to Mary, the President of the Council?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Yes, 'twas Bertie.

obl wrote: »
    Yes, 'twas Bertie.

Yes - I don't think it will be Klaus at all. It will be the Czech Prime Minister.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Yes - I don't think it will be Klaus at all. It will be the Czech Prime Minister.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

It will in fact be neither. It is a little known fact that Sarkozy doesn't chair or co-ordinate the French Presidencies term in office, rather it is left to Bernard Kouchner and Sarkozy has chosen not to intervene in the day to day operations. This is because the Presidency of the Council of the European Union is not a position held by a person but rather an entire government and as such it left to the incumbent government to operate as it sees fit. Similarly it will be neither the President nor the Prime Minister but rather the Minister for Foreign Affairs who will be responsible for the operation of the Czech Presidency.

• Advertisement

sink wrote: »
    It will in fact be neither. It is a little known fact that Sarkozy doesn't chair or co-ordinate the French Presidencies term in office, rather it is left to Bernard Kouchner and Sarkozy has chosen not to intervene in the day to day operations. This is because the Presidency of the Council of the European Union is not a position held by a person but rather an entire government and as such it left to the incumbent government to operate as it sees fit. Similarly it will be neither the President nor the Prime Minister but rather the Minister for Foreign Affairs who will be responsible for the operation of the Czech Presidency.

I stand corrected! Thank you for the clarification.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Riddle101

sink wrote: »

Thank you. however since the Minster of Foreign Affairs is responsible dosen't that mean he may still act on the orders of the President or Prime Minster, i mean i would assume that the MA will still take orders from the Powers that be? considering that he is still under the PM or Prez, maybe not the Prez but i woud still be surprised if Vaclav didn't have any influence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Thank you. however since the Minster of Foreign Affairs is responsible dosen't that mean he may still act on the orders of the President or Prime Minster, i mean i would assume that the MA will still take orders from the Powers that be? considering that he is still under the PM or Prez, maybe not the Prez but i woud still be surprised if Vaclav didn't have any influence

True it's just a technicality. The Presidency has no real power to push any agenda that is not supported by the 26 other European Council members. It is purely an administrative role with no executive or legislative power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Eurosceptic2008

According to a user called Wer on politics.ie, the president can prevent ratification of the treaty by refusing to sign. In part it comes down to an interpretation of whether Lisbon consitutes a treaty arising from the Accession Treaty or something beyond that (sortof like our 1972 Accession treaty).

BTW the Czech Constitutional Court has just ruled the Treaty is constitutional.

BTW the Czech Constitutional Court has just ruled the Treaty is constitutional.
    Now Parliament has to accept the Treaty, which will probably happen.

After that only presidential signature is needed to make the Treaty a fact in Czech.

If he won't sign this document, it will mean that he's bloody ignorant who doesn't care about what democratically chosen Parliament and nation really want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Now Parliament has to accept the Treaty, which will probably happen.

After that only presidential signature is needed to make the Treaty a fact in Czech.

If he won't sign this document, it will mean that he's bloody ignorant who doesn't care about what democratically chosen Parliament and nation really want.

According to The Irish Times, he'll only sign the ratification of the Treaty if Ireland also does, irrespective of what happens in both houses of their own parliament:
    wrote:
    If both houses of parliament finally ratify the treaty, Mr Klaus would be expected to sign it into law. After months of speculation, he revealed yesterday that he would be prepared to do that - if Ireland also approves the charter.
    "If everybody agrees that the Lisbon Treaty . . . must be, that there is only one person who would want to block it by not signing, and that person is the Czech president - I will not do this," he said.

This was yesterday, before the Czech court ruling, so it will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

According to The Irish Times, he'll only sign the ratification of the Treaty if Ireland also does, irrespective of what happens in both houses of their own parliament:
    Ireland and Irish government should solve this problem without pressure of Czech president... if that is his intention. There's enough problems with CIA agents libertas..

Advertisement