Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Home Phone & Broadband for €29 for 1st 6 months, then €49 - any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

jor el wrote: »
    Only eircom can activate a line, but there is no minimum contract, unless you order additional services from them at the same time.

You don't need to be a Vodafone customer already in order to get home phone and broadband from them.

Folks,

Just spotted this now. Any update on people who have changed over from Eircom? How fast was it? Good, Bad points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

switched early from bt to voda to get the savings straight away, other than a small hitch in setting up the modem its been plain sailing. went from a min of 50 per month to 35, so its a no brainer for me. no difference in quality or other problems so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

same here, no difference except 3 times faster bb with much cheaper price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

TheDriver wrote: »
    same here, no difference except 3 times faster bb with much cheaper price.

Thanks folks. Looks like its defo a no brainer. Will be calling them tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

I am strongly thinking about switching to Vodafone today as I am absolutely fed up with Eircom. I was 5 days late paying a bill of €42.65 and have been charged €18.15 fee and threatened with telephone and BB services being suspended with separate reconnection fees for both. After their service this year alone!!!

My Eircom package is:
    Eircom Talktime - €25.61pm
    BB Home Plus To Go - €24.79pm

My BB Speed is 3mbs and download allowance is 30GB

I believe Vodafone are my best option. I can see on their website that I woild get the following for €45.00pm:
    • Connect for free to this package.
    • 40GB download limit.
    • Up to 384 Kbps upload speeds.
    • Unlimited upload limit.
    • You will also get free anytime local & national calls and landline to mobile calls for only 20c per minute.
    • All for only €45 per month (inc. VAT).
    My real question is will my email address and landline number change, and do I have to let Eircom know what I am planning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You keep your number. Your email stays the same, only need to change a setting in outlook if you use it.
    And vodafone will let Eircom know, apparently, Some would say tell Eircom yourself though.

TheDriver wrote: »
    You keep your number. Your email stays the same, only need to change a setting in outlook if you use it.
    And vodafone will let Eircom know, apparently, Some would say tell Eircom yourself though.

Thanks for that, will be on the phone to Vodafone tonight!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭siblers

jackie.du wrote: »
    they have a 30GB cap which I don't like, but last month i went over to 32GB, they didn't increase my bill.but they don't throttle my speed of download.

Can you pay extra for more DL allowance? 30gb is pittance really but it's so much cheaper than Eircom it's nearly worth it. The crowd who do the Eircom billing are absolute idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

its a shame you cant buy additional download limit. 40gb soon goes as ive found out. I would go for the 7mb package but its strange them saying i cant get 7mb connection (But my neighbour has 7mb from eircom)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Is this proper BB, do they send out a router?

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »
    its a shame you cant buy additional download limit. 40gb soon goes as ive found out. I would go for the 7mb package but its strange them saying i cant get 7mb connection (But my neighbour has 7mb from eircom)

Why does the 40GB soon go? Is this just an introductory offer that they then take away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

cardol wrote: »
    Why does the 40GB soon go? Is this just an introductory offer that they then take away?

No. It's your monthly download allowance on the 3mb package. It goes quickly if you download alot. If you don't, it's plenty.

Is there much of a wait to get your modem and be hooked up etc ?

EDIT: Just noticed this. For anyone making the change there is €40 cashback if it's done via www.bethrifty.ie . Link is here : http://www.bethrifty.ie/Vodafone-ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

On their forum they say :
    There are plans to offer the opportunity to purchase an additional 30gb download capacity for €3.99 per month, this will be available from the end of this week.

and that was posted on the 28 September 2009 - 12:06 PM So hopefully you can buy extra download capacity

chilly wrote: »
    Is there much of a wait to get your modem and be hooked up etc ?

EDIT: Just noticed this. For anyone making the change there is €40 cashback if it's done via www.bethrifty.ie . Link is here : http://www.bethrifty.ie/Vodafone-ie

This is a good site. I have just registered with them, and then I contacted Vodafone who say they haven't heard of them, but as there as no charge to change from Eircom to Vodafone, it doesn't really apply in this case. It takes 10 days for the landline change to take effect and 21 days for the BB change to take effect, and services continue as normal until then with no interuptions at all. Vodafone will use the existing Eircom modem and Eircom are OK with that.
    Also, Eircom informed me there is no termination fee, but this may be particular to my case only. Vodafone handles the changeover, and Eircom then send out a final bill.

This is a good site. I have just registered with them, and then I contacted Vodafone who say they haven't heard of them, but as there as no charge to change from Eircom to Vodafone, it doesn't really apply in this case. It takes 10 days for the landline change to take effect and 21 days for the BB change to take effect, and services continue as normal until then with no interuptions at all. Vodafone will use the existing Eircom modem and Eircom are OK with that.
    Also, Eircom informed me there is no termination fee, but this may be particular to mycase only. Vodafone handles the changeover, and Eircom then send out a finalbill.

Thanks for that Cardol.If there's no interuption of service I would definitely be interested in changing.I will ring Eircom tonight and hope I'll escape any leaving fees too.

I use bethrifty quite alot so I'd be confident that the deal listed on their site would be the genuine article. The vodafone phone staff might not know about it as it only applied to customers who sign up with them online.Give it a try if you're planning to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Hi

Im with perlico who as you know are owned by vodafone. As people who use vodafone broadband are now being given the option for increased download capacity for 3.99 euro-does anyone know if perlico will be offering a similar deal for their customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 MKMaguire

We switched landline service and have a 'bundle' for calls, including mobile and international, also broadband. Our business account is 'bespoke' pricing for our needs and we have direct contact with an A/c manager. Because we were happy with service we nominated 5 referrals so now we get a phone bill, huge savings, and a cheque every month! The way to go, because our phone bills are paid for by that monthly cheque and lots more besides!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

just ordered it a min ago and was told that i'd get the wireless router free, on the website it says its only free if ordered online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

i rang vd there a few mins ago and i can only get 1mb as the line is so ****e.iam with ifa telecome /eircom and the dude from vd said that i needed to know how long i was with ifa telecome to find out if there would be a disconnection charge even if there is ill prob chage as iam paying far more than what vd are offering

http://new.ifatelecom.ie/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=w8hdnFyvKx0%3d&tabid=108&language=en-US

on paragraph 9 about the cancellation does it mean ill have to pay to disconnect and will i have to get a router of vd??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

your neighbours connection is probably marginal or only 3mb but eircom are letting them pay for 7mb?
    Also, Eircom informed me there is no termination fee, but this may be particular to my case only. Vodafone handles the changeover, and Eircom then send out a final bill.
    it should not take that long as that is their expected maximum times for switching over to vodafone, my phone was switched in 4days and broadband was switched about a week after that:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 packiepa

Does any one know if i can pay my bill in installments every week like i can with eircom? Just ordered vodafone at home last week and i had to set up a direct debit for this.. I was on phone to customer support and they hadnt a clue what i was on about and after i had told them how i pay my eircom bill they said . Yes this can be done like eircom.. The problem is i cant seem to find any info anywhere about this form of payment.. All i can find is credit card payment of direct debit. The person on the phone was hesitant when telling me it can be done..

packiepa wrote: »
    Does any one know if i can pay my bill in installments every week like i can with eircom? Just ordered vodafone at home last week and i had to set up a direct debit for this.. I was on phone to customer support and they hadnt a clue what i was on about and after i had told them how i pay my eircom bill they said . Yes this can be done like eircom.. The problem is i cant seem to find any info anywhere about this form of payment.. All i can find is credit card payment of direct debit. The person on the phone was hesitant when telling me it can be done..

I would think it's possible to pay weekly. I used to do that with Eircom. If you get VF's account number and sort code, you than then pay online from your bank account to VF 's account weekly. Or, register with VF - https://broadband.vodafone.ie/myaccount/myaccount/login. There is an option to pay your bill and it lets you put in whatever amount you like.:)

It is certainly easier to follow than the Eircom website and nicer to look at :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 packiepa

Yes i know i can do it that way, i can pay threw online banking etc etc, but my mother looks after all my bills as she gets a cheque from my dad from work every week,, she went beserk when i told her i had switched, she usuasly pays 10- 20 off my eircom bill in post office and she used a paper bill from eircom in order to do so.. but i cant find anything about if this is available with vodafone and the support number was not very helpfull:confused:

packiepa wrote: »
    Yes i know i can do it that way, i can pay threw online banking etc etc, but my mother looks after all my bills as she gets a cheque from my dad from work every week,, she went beserk when i told her i had switched, she usuasly pays 10- 20 off my eircom bill in post office and she used a paper bill from eircom in order to do so.. but i cant find anything about if this is available with vodafone and the support number was not very helpfull:confused:

Can't think of anything to say to that! :rolleyes: Except lucky you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The only reason I can't think of swaping is for support, I know as **** as Eircom can be, they said they would send out an engineer to my place to sort it, if I have trouble with it through Vodafone, what will my options be if it goes balls up (which of course it will) like have they any authority to have engineers checking out the exchange?

Will my line stats,eg. attentuation etc,remain the same if I switch from Eircom to vodafone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Can anyone tell me Vodafone's equivalent package to this:

Eircom's Talktime and Broadband Home Plus-

Talktime - Line Rental, Unlimited Local and National Calls, 5% off Mobiles off peak, 10% off International Mobiles, 10c a min calls to Britain/US and free eircom mailbox.

Broadband Home Plus - 3MB with a 30GB limit

In their ad, Vodafone say they can beat Eircom by 20% on any of their packages. Is this true? Is anyone on a similar pasckage to this on Vodafone?

Thanks

christo82 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me Vodafone's equivalent package to this:

Eircom's Talktime and Broadband Home Plus-

Talktime - Line Rental, Unlimited Local and National Calls, 5% off Mobiles off peak, 10% off International Mobiles, 10c a min calls to Britain/US and free eircom mailbox.

Broadband Home Plus - 3MB with a 30GB limit

In their ad, Vodafone say they can beat Eircom by 20% on any of their packages. Is this true? Is anyone on a similar pasckage to this on Vodafone?

Thanks

The equivalent Vodafone package is the €45 monthly package. If you follow the link - http://www.vodafone.ie/homebroadband/?ts=1255696885605 - and click "more about..." there is then the option to compare with other packages.

P.S. Love all the ads on TV lately about everyone moving back to Eircom!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 MKMaguire

I find it amusing to read all the comments and twists about 'the phone bill'! As I said before, the way to go is get a bill and the same month get a cheque ... which pays that phone bill, electricity, gas, house insurance and mortgage and still some left for that extra sun holiday!

Advertisement