Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Central Heating Noise

• 17-11-2008 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Our central heating boiler has started to make "kettling" noises:mad:. Does anyone know how much it would cost to get the system power flushed?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Depends on where you are. No more than €600 plus VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Isn't there a bottle of stuff (I have no idea what it actually is) that you can feed into the tank to stop the noise ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

What are kettling noises?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

SectionF wrote: »
    What are kettling noises?

Similar to the sound a kettle makes when it is boiling.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

My central heating did that when it had trouble with air entering the system.

• Advertisement

We had a system installed four years ago, and it made this sound in several - not all - radiators from the start, so it is not just a feature of old systems.

I believe that the installer has not made serious efforts to fix the problem, and I am seriously thinking of taking him to court. Before I do, does anyone know if there is a simple solution to this?

We had a system installed four years ago, and it made this sound in several - not all - radiators from the start, so it is not just a feature of old systems.

That type of noise from the rads sounds like air in the rads themselves rather than the boiler kettling. It may be a simple case of bleeding each rad, topping up the system and bleeding again until all the air has been erradicated. It could take a few attempts but assuming that you have no leaks from the rads & pipework there is no reason why all the air cannot be removed from system. The pressure gauge at the boiler is your friend for this job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

We were quote €700 to do the job but thankfully our neighbours work colleague who did it for €250. The job entailed putting a de-scaler in the system for 24hrs (i think), then flushing out 2/3 times and then adding a Inhibitor to help keep the system(now closed) clean in the future. Unfortunately some gunk got into the heat exchanger and this had to be replaced (€130) :D

Now the radiators are boiling hot and boiler very quite:D

crosstownk wrote: »
    That type of noise from the rads sounds like air in the rads themselves rather than the boiler kettling. It may be a simple case of bleeding each rad, topping up the system and bleeding again until all the air has been erradicated. It could take a few attempts but assuming that you have no leaks from the rads & pipework there is no reason why all the air cannot be removed from system. The pressure gauge at the boiler is your friend for this job.
    Thanks for that. We've tried bleeding and topping up, as has the installer. It seems to me that whenever we intervene do something like that that the noise stops, but only temporarily. Once the system settles down again the noises return. My fear is that we do actually have a leak hidden somewhere.

My fear is that we do actually have a leak hidden somewhere.

I'd be inclined to agree with you.

But you need to monitor the system pressure - either when the system is cold or fully heated. My system pressure is about 0.8bar when cold and 1.6 when fully heated. It never looses pressure unless I bleed. I had an extension built a while back and a new boiler installed so I had a few teething problems including two old dodgey, leaking rad valves but it's all sorted now.

Keep an eye on the system pressure daily and top up if you have to. See how long it takes for the pressure to drop (if at all) and take things from there. Report your findings here, if you like.

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to agree with you.

But you need to monitor the system pressure - either when the system is cold or fully heated. My system pressure is about 0.8bar when cold and 1.6 when fully heated. It never looses pressure unless I bleed. I had an extension built a while back and a new boiler installed so I had a few teething problems including two old dodgey, leaking rad valves but it's all sorted now.

Keep an eye on the system pressure daily and top up if you have to. See how long it takes for the pressure to drop (if at all) and take things from there. Report your findings here, if you like.
    I'll do that - thanks!

Advertisement