Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how's everybody doing?

Options
  • 17-11-2008 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

How have you started your FM09 life?

I'm at the end of October (I like to take my time ;)) with Peterborough and we're 13th with a game in hand over most of the rest of the league, 3 points off of the play off spots. Which for me is pretty good considering the media prediction at the start of the season was for us to finish 18th.

I'm not counting my chickens though, a nice safe mid-table position would do me nicely.

So how about you guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I've been sacked twice. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,966 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I started off as Man United, as I always do to get a hang of the game and a handle on the tactics. After starting a new game cause I sucked bad in the first one I have united top of the table at the begining of november. Not had any massive games yet though, toughest was Liveprool at home, which I won 2-1.

Not liking the injuries, used the patched game and still get too many. At one point I was missing my 3 first choice CMs, my RB, my LB, at CB and a winger. Each picking up 2 month injuries. very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭camel toe

i enjoy playing the LOI and Argentinian league the most but to get the hang of things i'm managing reading in championship. quite enjoyable actually but there is some areas u really need to improve on like centre midfield but hunt and doyle r the best players in league.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

This game makes no bloody sense, either that or I am doing something drastically wrong.

So I was managaing Spurs, doing ok mid table , happy days. Then , Pool sack Frank Rijkaard in March, having only hired him in December as Rafa left Juventus.

Pool approach me asking would I like to take charge of the club, I didnt want to quit Spurs in March as I still had the Fa Cup to play for. Anyways I accept but on the condition I can join the pool in May, they agree Happy Days for Appy Arry.

So I win the Fa Cup, all is well and I join Pool.

I have a nice transfer kitty so I bring in, Navarro, Lennon(as he was class at Spurs for me), I sign Robinho( This makes no sense got him for 22 mill, just after City Sacked Hughes), I also pick up a guy by the name of Chamaoukh from Bordeaux and finally fat Ronnie( signed him on a free in January and scored 13 goals for Spurs , so I signed him for pool for 1.25 mill and thought hed be good for the bench.

Now the strangeness begins, as I progress (note I am in October) my team gets a serious Injury every game, which makes no sense. Now I have hardly any first team left as most are out with long term injurys.

Kuyt - N'Gog

Riera-Plessis-Benayoun-Lennon

Navarro-Hyppia-Degen-Carra

Itandje

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I've been sacked twice. :(
    I hear ya buddy.

I have Fulham sitting in 19th spot after 12 games and things are looking bad :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

So so , took over Spurs and brought in the following.

*Micheal Owen 5.75 Million
    *Moutinho 15 Million
    *Belleti
    *John Fleck (RECOMMEND HIM FROM RANGERS 17 YEARS OLD AND HAS HIT 5 GOALS IN 4 GAMES ALREADY)

Pre season was awful we didn't pick up a single win as the team wasn't working well together, lost the two opening premiership games then beat Chelsea 4-1 in the derby, went on to loose again next then beat man utd 2-1, we seem to be picking up now 8'th in the table and unbeaten in 5 =)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Started off with Arsenal and I'm currently third. Toughest game so far was Pool at Anfield which I won 3-2. Didn't bring anyone in but starting to wish I had with the amount of injuries.
    Even after downloading the patch I have:

Fabregas, Clichy, Denilson, Eboue, Walcott, Ramsey out for between 2 and 3 months each.

Some players find it hard to motivate themselves to play for me, Mainly RVP who is having a 'mare of a season.

And Adebayor doesn't like Bendtner and won't play with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,966 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i really hope they release a new patch to sort out the injuries, simply way, WAY too many, with most lasting for 2 months. Stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sevenie

New to FM, started yesterday with Liverpool, still finding my way around. The Demo would not play well on my Laptop but the Game plays ok. Still in preseason. Do people actually play the Match??? If so at what speed?? I have read people on here who are nearly in the 2nd season how is that possible, it only came out Friday??

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

hey all,
    just wondering wat the verdict is on FM09? thinkin bout getting it, the last couple i've ran on my comp though have been pretty slow for my liking? anyone download theirs or you all bought them? wats the mun u need to run it well? thanks a mill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

sorry i meant *min not mun

Likewise with the injury problems, they just keep on coming the patch didn't sort them out right were going to need another one. I like the game but overall it's a little slower than 08, i've started only watching the match in 3d for the big games as it just takes too long to watch every single match and let it load etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eamo87

Apart from the initial patch, has there been any announcement for another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Chong wrote: »
    This game makes no bloody sense, either that or I am doing something drastically wrong.

So I was managaing Spurs, doing ok mid table , happy days. Then , Pool sack Frank Rijkaard in March, having only hired him in December as Rafa left Juventus.

Pool approach me asking would I like to take charge of the club, I didnt want to quit Spurs in March as I still had the Fa Cup to play for. Anyways I accept but on the condition I can join the pool in May, they agree Happy Days for Appy Arry.

So I win the Fa Cup, all is well and I join Pool.

I have a nice transfer kitty so I bring in, Navarro, Lennon(as he was class at Spurs for me), I sign Robinho( This makes no sense got him for 22 mill, just after City Sacked Hughes), I also pick up a guy by the name of Chamaoukh from Bordeaux and finally fat Ronnie( signed him on a free in January and scored 13 goals for Spurs , so I signed him for pool for 1.25 mill and thought hed be good for the bench.

Now the strangeness begins, as I progress (note I am in October) my team gets a serious Injury every game, which makes no sense. Now I have hardly any first team left as most are out with long term injurys.

Kuyt - N'Gog

Riera-Plessis-Benayoun-Lennon

Navarro-Hyppia-Degen-Carra

Itandje
    Football Manager Update:

So I continued on last night with the pool, gradually getting worse, with nothing but a youth squad left as a result of injuries, I lose 3 games on the trot and I am shown the door.

As it just so happens the day I am given the boot Spurs sack Frank de Boer as their manager and then welcome me back with open arms, DELIGHTED.

When I join them they are 14th, I am now in March, and I am 7th with a gap of 9 points between 7th and 1st. I have won the league cup , in the 6th round of Fa Cup, Quarters I think of Uefa Cup and still challenging for the league.

A complete change of fortunes. Appy Arry lives on !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Eamo87 wrote: »
    Apart from the initial patch, has there been any announcement for another one?
    SI have said there will be a second patch however it will most likely arrive at the end of January when they can include a data update.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eoinsku

I started with Arsenal, and went straight to working on the flaky midfield. I brought in Yaya Toure (Barca and Aquilani ~£15M each). Started off 4-4-2 but a that didn't seem to work for me. So, I went for a 4-3-2-1 approach, to protect the defense and have a pacy, direct attack. It took a while to get right (& still lots of room for improvement), but seems to be doing well now - beat Man U at Old Trafford in the CC, and just hammered Liverpool 4-1 at Emirates. The early season form (4-4-2 and starting 4-3-2-1) means I don't have a shot of the title, so I'm gunning for the Champs League and Carling Cup.

BUGS: the game crashes every so often so I would recommend saving after each game or two.

INJURIES: shocking! Like everyone else, I seem to get injuries almost every game, most of which result in 1-3 month absences.

PLAYERS: I bought Douglas Costa (Gremio - linked with Man U & Real in real life), Fabian Delph (Leeds), Jose Baxter (Everton), Daniel Opare (Real madrid), Nicolas Millian (Colo Colo) and a couple others, but they're still some way off the first team.

Yaya Toure is doing the business, and Aquilani is starting to now, after settling in/improving the language.

Best thing to do is to get your scouts to check on youth leagues in UK, Spain & France, and senior leagues in Brazil & Argentina. They are typically cheap, and have buy-out clauses.

FREE: Fat Ronaldo and Steven Appiah aren't bad, but for mid-table teams only

Also, I've heard a rumour about being sacked after the first season (regardless of performance) with some downloaded (cracked) games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Eoinsku wrote: »
    I started with Arsenal, and went straight to working on the flaky midfield. I brought in Yaya Toure (Barca and Aquilani ~£15M each). Started off 4-4-2 but a that didn't seem to work for me. So, I went for a 4-3-2-1 approach, to protect the defense and have a pacy, direct attack. It took a while to get right (& still lots of room for improvement), but seems to be doing well now - beat Man U at Old Trafford in the CC, and just hammered Liverpool 4-1 at Emirates. The early season form (4-4-2 and starting 4-3-2-1) means I don't have a shot of the title, so I'm gunning for the Champs League and Carling Cup.

interesting enough when i was playing the demo i found exactly the same problems as Arsenal. 4-4-2 just doesn't work with them, went for the wide 4-3-2-1 meself, bought Ashley Young for AML and Inler for the DM position, (both pretty good buys, the two players with the highest ratings in the squad but they were pretty pricy) and all of a sudden I was thrashing teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Started a new game with Man City last night. Beat Juevenes 11-0 in the first leg of UEFA qualifier! Biggest win ever for me. Only played one game of the season so far - away to Man Utd - drew 1-1.

I've just signed Santa Cruz for 19m.

Santa Cruz

Robinho Wright-Phillips

Kompany Elano Fernandes

Garrido Dunne Richards Zabalyeta

Hart

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eamo87

Daemonic wrote: »
    SI have said there will be a second patch however it will most likely arrive at the end of January when they can include a data update.

Cheers Daemonic. Hopefully this will fix most of the bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Doing awful at the moment. Just can't create chances. All out attack for 45 mins and I get even get a shot at goal.

Can someone give me some advice (attacking) on playing a 4-4-2 formation relying on wingers and tall strong strikers?

Cheers...

• Advertisement

glenjamin wrote: »
    Doing awful at the moment. Just can't create chances. All out attack for 45 mins and I get even get a shot at goal.

Can someone give me some advice (attacking) on playing a 4-4-2 formation relying on wingers and tall strong strikers?

Cheers...

don't, drop the support striker into the midfield and play 4-3-3, and have forward runs set for all but the DM. In FM08 anyway the norm would be play to have the big striker set at lower mentality than the rest so he comes a bit deeper and allows the wingers and support striker run onto the knockdowns. but this doesn't appear to be working in the new version from what i've been able to tell. So far anyway I've found it more effective to use the big strikers as a lone front man in 09 and just have a very attacking midfield to support him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

what settings should i have my laptop on to ensure maximum speed for the game to run??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Eoinsku wrote: »
    interesting enough when i was playing the demo i found exactly the same problems as Arsenal. 4-4-2 just doesn't work with them, went for the wide 4-3-2-1 meself, bought Ashley Young for AML and Inler for the DM position, (both pretty good buys, the two players with the highest ratings in the squad but they were pretty pricy) and all of a sudden I was thrashing teams.

What kind of line-ups do you two generally put out with the 4-3-2-1?
    I mean have you sold any strikers? As I couldn't see RVP, Ade, Eduardo, Vela, Bendnter being left on the bench for several games in a row?

I've Been playing a 4-4-2 like:

Almunia
    Sagna----Gallas---Toure----Clichy
    Walcott----Fab---Song
    Nasri
    RVP
    Ade

With arrows going forward on Theo and Nasri, and an arrow backwards on Song.
    Reguar changes would be Eboue instead of Walcott, Denilson/Song, Diaby/Fab, RVP/Vela, Gallas or Toure for Djourou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭d6

i use the 3-5-2 formation with my chelsea side at home just and yet 2 b beaten it the league in 1 and 1/2 year

Cech

Carvalho---Terry----Alex
    Lennon----Essien--- Veloso---Fat Frank
    Kalou
    Balotelli
    Drogba

Frisbee wrote: »
    What kind of line-ups do you two generally put out with the 4-3-2-1?
    I mean have you sold any strikers? As I couldn't see RVP, Ade, Eduardo, Vela, Bendnter being left on the bench for several games in a row?

I've Been playing a 4-4-2 like:

Almunia
    Sagna----Gallas---Toure----Clichy
    Walcott----Fab---Song
    Nasri
    RVP
    Ade

With arrows going forward on Theo and Nasri, and an arrow backwards on Song.
    Reguar changes would be Eboue instead of Walcott, Denilson/Song, Diaby/Fab, RVP/Vela, Gallas or Toure for Djourou.

only played the demo so far, so i guess the patch may have changed things, but by and large i was getting so many injuries that i didn't have this headache. Ade if available, apart from that anyone else who was willing. often found myself having to play RVP in the AML position because of injuries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eoinsku

only played the demo so far, so i guess the patch may have changed things, but by and large i was getting so many injuries that i didn't have this headache. Ade if available, apart from that anyone else who was willing. often found myself having to play RVP in the AML position because of injuries too.

That's basically what happened to me. There are so many injuries that the problem isn't keeping them happy, but having enough players fit! Eduardo takes until Christmas to get back. Rosicky is out until November, and then got injured almost straight away for 2 months. Then there are injuries at different times for Walcott, Nasri, Vela and Van Persie. Bendtner is pants, so I don't play him. My team is as follows:

Almunia
    Sagna (arrows forward) - Gallas - Toure - Clichy (a/f)
    Aquilani (a/f) - Yaya Toure (a/b) - Fabregas (a/f)
    Walcott
    Nasri
    Adebayor

I also play Walcott / Vela / V Persie as strikers, although V Persie is fairly arse. I think he has some 'motivational problems' in playing for me. Bendtner will be sold to raise funds for other purchases.

There's more than just arrows forward and back though. There's the tempo you play (quick), width (wide) creativity (a fair bit), use of playmaker, losts of through balls and rarely crossing, target man to run onto balls, closing down opposition midfielders, sending opposition wingers onto their weak feet etc.

I'm playing with spurs, lining up with a 4-2-2-2 my first team (When I bloody have it) is this.

Gomes

G.Bale----L.King----J.Woodgate----Belletti

Moutinho----Modric

D.Bently
    Des Santos

Owen
    Pavlychenkho

It's going ok so far, Mid table team isn't gelling to well, injurys are killing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Irishcrx wrote: »
    I'm playing with spurs, lining up with a 4-2-2-2 my first team (When I bloody have it) is this.

Gomes

G.Bale----L.King----J.Woodgate----Belletti

Moutinho----Modric

D.Bently
    Des Santos

Owen
    Pavlychenkho

It's going ok so far, Mid table team isn't gelling to well, injurys are killing me.

4-4-2 never works for me! Unless it's in a diamond formation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭shano_88

almunia

sagna---toure---gallas---clichy--

wallcott---palombo--fab--nasri--

----trezeguet
    van persie----

what you think? any ideas on goalkepper to buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭glenjamin

shano_88 wrote: »

what you think? any ideas on goalkepper to buy?

Enyeama, Ochoa, Kameni, Boruc, Neuer, Landreau, Leo Franco, Ustari to name a few.

Advertisement