Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how's everybody doing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Eoinsku wrote: »
    I also play Walcott / Vela / V Persie as strikers, although V Persie is fairly arse. I think he has some 'motivational problems' in playing for me. Bendtner will be sold to raise funds for other purchases.

There's more than just arrows forward and back though. There's the tempo you play (quick), width (wide) creativity (a fair bit), use of playmaker, losts of through balls and rarely crossing, target man to run onto balls, closing down opposition midfielders, sending opposition wingers onto their weak feet etc.

I have the same problem with RVP and the 'motivational problems', Dutch bastard... :p
    I'm interested to see that you use a playmaker and a target man. Never used a target man with Arsenal and rarely gone for the playmaker.
    Who do you use as your playmaker as a matter of curiosity? Fab?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

So is it worth it?

I'm waiting til after my exams to avoid addiction. :P

Hearing awful rumours on the SI forums and elsewhere about the state of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eoinsku

Frisbee wrote: »
    I have the same problem with RVP and the 'motivational problems', Dutch bastard... :p
    I'm interested to see that you use a playmaker and a target man. Never used a target man with Arsenal and rarely gone for the playmaker.
    Who do you use as your playmaker as a matter of curiosity? Fab?

I don't use a target man - was a bit of a mistake in my earlier post... But I have my striker run on to through balls rather than played to feet or to head. Adebayor is playing striker and has scored about 25 goals this season, and it's only just gone into January.

Yeah, Fabregas is the playmaker - no better man! Haven't seen much difference between using a playmaker and not, to be honest.

Eoinsku wrote: »
    I don't use a target man - was a bit of a mistake in my earlier post... But I have my striker run on to through balls rather than played to feet or to head. Adebayor is playing striker and has scored about 25 goals this season, and it's only just gone into January.

Yeah, Fabregas is the playmaker - no better man! Haven't seen much difference between using a playmaker and not, to be honest.

How do you ask someone to run onto the ball if their not designated as your targetman? The only way I can see to ask this of one of them is to ask it through 'Target Man Supply'?

I found the best way to use a Playmaker in 08 was to have a DM with a lot of creative freedom and a good passing attribute. Miguel Veloso was perfect..

I'm finding the Board to be very annoying.
    Started as Arsenal and didn't buy anyone.

Won Manager of the month for September and November.

My November was like this

Arsenal 2 - 0 Spurs EPL
    United 0 - 2 Arsenal EPL
    Arsenal 3 - 0 Ranger Champions Cup Group Stage
    Chelsea 0 - 1 Arsenal EPL
    Liverpool 0 - 3 Arsenal League Cup Quarter Final

I then beat Villareal 3-0 at home in the Champions Cup with basically a reserve team.
    However the board are disappointed in me because I drew 1-1 away to Fiorentina earlier on in the Group Stage, even though I've now qualified most likely top of the group, just have to play Fiorentina at home.

Also the board are disappointed in me for the club recording losses even though I haven't bought anyone!

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Does anybody know a way of actually signing Stephen Appiah? He's been on a free since July (in real life too) over a contract dispute at Fenerbache. Tried to sign him loads of times for various clubs but he never gets granted a work permit. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eoinsku

Carturo wrote: »
    Does anybody know a way of actually signing Stephen Appiah? He's been on a free since July (in real life too) over a contract dispute at Fenerbache. Tried to sign him loads of times for various clubs but he never gets granted a work permit. :mad:

You should maange in a league which doesn't have work permit restrictions, like France. I would have thought Appiah would get a WP on an appeal at the very least.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I would strongly advise people have a look at fm-britains analysis of the tactical side of things in FM2009. They had access to the beta and have done fantastic research into it. I like that they don't give you a one-formation-beats-all just explain how it works and how to go about making your team play the way you want to. They analyse 8 well known managers and their typical approaches and examine how to achieve the same in FM2009. They include 72 tactics with well known formations as well as a few experimental ones. Regardless though read their analysis it's invaluable. It will require you sign up to their forum but well worth it imo.

http://www.fm-britain.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=8967

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I decided to start with Ireland. Don't have much time at the minute so just doing this so I can go on holiday during the game weeks.

So far I've beaten Georgia away 4-1, and drew with Montenegro 2-2 after getting Reid sent off after 9 minutes, and I beat Cyprus 2nil.

Decided to play Traps way and I must admit it's working:D

Doyle holding up the ball while Keane has a free role with two deep lying midfielders. Haven't noticed all the injuries yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

musician wrote: »
    I would strongly advise people have a look at fm-britains analysis of the tactical side of things in FM2009. They had access to the beta and have done fantastic research into it. I like that they don't give you a one-formation-beats-all just explain how it works and how to go about making your team play the way you want to. They analyse 8 well known managers and their typical approaches and examine how to achieve the same in FM2009. They include 72 tactics with well known formations as well as a few experimental ones. Regardless though read their analysis it's invaluable. It will require you sign up to their forum but well worth it imo.

http://www.fm-britain.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=8967

+1 to this. i've been reading their articles for a while now, some great stuff there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

+1 to this. i've been reading their articles for a while now, some great stuff there.

Me too, their research and information mean that you can actually succeed and play a career in FM rather than just play the odd game for 1/2 seasons and then get bored.

I've got a game going as Kidderminster, playing with a variation of the Rule Of One style formation as described in the TT&F forums. One midfielder holding and one supporting the striker. A striker dropping off to play link up between the midfield and a tall, strong target man.

Going well so far, 14 games played with 10 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats. Team is starting to gel now and we are second in the league. Damn Histon.

Advertisement