Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Tree

Options
  • 17-11-2008 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭

So,any opinions on the christmas tree on the Shannon?
    It was lit up this evening.looks a bit strange,must be the first of its kind in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

we took the kids for a drive to see the lights,,christmas tree was nice,,from a distance,,,at least they wont be robbing the balls off it this yr,,lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It is the same yoke they had outside Penneys last year isn't it?

some coup getting Jonah Lomu all the same.

I'm in exile at the moment so I'll have to wait before passing judgement. Unless anyone can post up a pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I think it looks good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Saw it at a glance today, looks really nice in the dark (I saw it being constructed in the rain yesterday afternoon, it didn't look great then)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Looks incredibly out of place IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

heh, let the scummers try and vandalise that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

like it, that whole view of the city looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It is the same one as last year, only out on the river on a platform. It looks class.

RonMexico wrote: »
    It is the same one as last year, only out on the river on a platform. It looks class.
    slightly changed, bit taller, and that windmill thing is gone off it. from what i could tell the lights looked brighter too, back to using plain old electricity...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

it looks different. the idea isn't bad.

unfortunately it's already broken... teh pic was taken about 30mins ago.

Have you ever noticed that there is a kind of a pyramind on top of the tourist information? with a few fairy lights it could be transformed into a chrismastree as well. especially as there is no decoration whatsoever (AFAICR)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Looks like something they can fix fairly easily (apart from putting somebody on the platform!)

@Billy the Squid, those pictures are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Hmmm obviously an expensive piece like that outside Pennys overnight with scummers about was a bad idea.

It like the idea of all that electricity and all that water and tidal conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It absolutely drives me mad that so many lights are broken already!!! :eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

I don't mean to be bringing up old threads but when is the "Tree" going to be taken down. It's now mid March and its still up. It's a joke, are they leaving it up for next Christmas?

I believe it's being kept as Limerick's symbol of hope, that object both of our hate and our affection. In short, our "dark knight", if you will :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

An File wrote: »
    I believe it's being kept as Limerick's symbol of hope, that object both of our hate and our affection. In short, our "dark knight", if you will :pac:

Yeah, It's either that or they just couldnt be arsed moving the damm thing...lazy feckers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

The tug boat has gone awol and Giligan has been freaking out for the past 2 months about it. Looks like they are going to put a big shamrock on it now, or disguise it as the easter bunny :D

All that tree is doing now is collecting rust and bird sh1t. As long as they dont turn it on again. It was a pain as it's right outside my bedroom window, it was like day when it was on!

• Advertisement

Saw this around lunchtime today.
    Hope you're happy now, BravoMike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

the city's official christmas tree has been removed after paddy's day. only in limerick...

Woo Hoo it's gone. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Unbelievable, almost 3 months after Christmas:eek:

its being put up again in 3 weeks for riverfest, and then taken down in october, before being put back in the middle of november for xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Bring it back *shakes fist*:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I kinda miss it

When I moved into my new apartment the tree was just put up right outside. In the first few days of it being up the lights were on all the time during the night. When I went to bed it was like having someone shine a massive torch in my window so much so you could read a newspaper at 3 in the morning without turning any lights in the bedroom on.
    It's funny only in Ireland would you have a Christmas tree still up for Paddy's day and then put it outside a busy bar and nightclub (Sinbin) only to have a few drunken people climb it :eek:
    Sorry bout the rant but it's gone now thank God.

• Advertisement
Advertisement