Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cronin resigns as Waterford United Football Club manager

• 17-11-2008 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Cronin Resigns - Breakingnews.ie

I'm surprised to hear this! He was only in the paper last week having agreed to stay on. I have to admit I've been less than 100% in attending the games but did the real fans here see this one coming? I know missing promotion was disappointing, but in financial terms with the number of top clubs struggling, maybe staying in the division we're in could be a blessing in disguise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Very bad news if I was being honest. Cronin was an unbelievably committed manager and brought some badly needed stability to the club (he was our longest serving manager since the days of Jimmy McGeough iirc).

The best case scenario is a similarly well-respected and experienced manager enters the fray and persuades the vast majority of the squad to stay on and challenge for promotion again.

The worst case scenario is things don't work out, players decide to leave, we wander aimlessly from manager to manager while slowly fading into 1st division abyss as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

seems like not many people have much interest in this issue, its sad to see but i think it is the beginning of the end for waterford united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

daftdave wrote: »
    seems like not many people have much interest in this issue, its sad to see but i think it is the beginning of the end for waterford united.

Think five pages on the fans forum would seem to indicate there is a huge interest in this!!

http://www.btid.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1740&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Not a surprise really, he'd threatened to go more than once and the rumour is he's off to Shams.
    He was working in Dublin, without an assistant manager, so it was always going to be hard for him. He never connected with the supporters in the way that McGeough or foxy Tommy did. It's hard to believe that it's only 10 years or so since we had 8000 at the cup semi down here, couldn't see it happening now.
    I think whoever comes in is on a hiding to nothing given the local apathy and resulting tiny budget. The money problems throughout the LOI might be a blessing in disguise though. If the FAI can force clubs to better manage their finances it might level the playing field a bit. I don't think a professional LOI is sustainable but that's for another forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭jkelly85

it is a pity cos he was a good manager. not to sure who will come in as the new manager. paul power i think would do a great job again but weather he would come back to waterford is another question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

big blow to Waterford United FC if im honest, he was a good manager, shame to lose him but i cn understand him leaving........

the club is really in troubled waters for the forseeable future imo

Advertisement