Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cage of Truth this Saturday

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

Roper, everyone on here knows you have a show coming up so you can stop mentioning it in every second post.;)
    My problem is not with individual things on there own but more the sum of them.
    1. People standing around a venue blocking your view instead of sitting in designated seats is annoying but bearable.
    2. Idiots screaming stupid comments with no knowlege of the sport and simply there to see a fight is annoying but bearable and its not a case of 'Imagine coming to a fight show to see a fight'. To drunks throwing digs at each other is a fight, MMA is more then that.
    3. Fighters having to push through a crowd is unprofessional and while it doesn't affect me personally, i just think it looks terrible.
    Each of these things on there own would bug me but not play on my mind to much but together they make for a sh1t night out regardless of how good the fights are.
    In relation to the drinking, i think you should keep it at the bar. There's no denying that spectating sports and drinking go hand in hand but again i just don't think it looks well when combined with things i mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Roper, everyone on here knows you have a show coming up so you can stop mentioning it in every second post.;)
    One thing I love is people who try to be smart. The winking emoticon doesn't make your comment any less offensive. You said my show was too expensive, now you're saying that CoT was badly run, yet in the same breath it's all how big a supporter of Irish MMA you are. Listen I wasn't trying to promote my show on this thread, but even if I was I'm not going to apologise for actually trying to do something as opposed to trying to pi55 on other's efforts. If you're so annoyed, why didn't you approach anyone on Saturday night at the show instead of whining on the internet about it? I already know the answer to that, because this way is easy. So you're a big supporter of Irish MMA, but not so big so as to shell out an extra €5 for a show, and not so big as to come on here and run down one of Ireland's longest running promotions on which many an Irish fighter has been given their first opportunity to fight.

Clive has said it better than I can. Here we have a thread about a great MMA show with some cracking fights and rather than the discussion being about how good they were, instead we have people complaining that they didn't like the way people were standing in the crowd. PCA put on excellent, professional shows. I've fought on the cards for the guys twice now and I've been given the best of treatment. Nobody is perfect though and I'm sure the organisers would address any genuine grievances that went through the proper channels, but I doubt anyone who is complaining will actually do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

I NEVER said CoT was badly run, so don't be putting words in my mouth.
    Why don't i approach someone on the night? Are you serious? tell me this, when your running your show will you really have time for some random stranger telling you what he didn't like about your show?
    I NEVER ran down any promotion, my comments were generalised. I simply asked if anyone felt the same on the issue raised by Colm O'Reilly about the crowd.
    So now, instead of ranting back and forth here with me why not just accept that i had an opinion on an issue and while you and others may not agree with it some others have so just leave it at that.
    PM me if you wanna talk further about this.

The crowd got a bit messy, but none more than to be expected. Richie did a good job of keeping them excited and also moving them back to keep the walkways clear.
    Am i alone in thinking that selling drink + no crowd control barriers surrounding the cage and entrance way of fighters is a complete disaster?
    I wasn't at this show but i have been to the previous ones and couldn't help but feel that a bunch of lads standing around with cans just cheapens the image of the sport.
    Yes, it's like you're reading from the same book alright. "a bit messy" and "complete disaster" are hardly the same now are they?

Just go back in your box. Criticising things you weren't even at. I'm ashamed of myself for even bothering with you for this long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Folks,

last time i checked JK was a pretty decent skin who is more than happy to answer the questions that people put to him ( at least, he has answered every PM i ever sent him, fair play to him as we have never met ).

He also strikes me as the type of guy who plans on improving his Promotion from show to show so i'm sure he would happily listen to peoples concerns.

The funniest thing is that he is easily contactable, i would say about as easy to contact as posting on this message board.

If you have what you feel is a genuine concern about any Irish Promotion ( as we will be hosting such talk ) then thats all good, you can raise it here.

That will not stop me pointing out much better, more fruitful ways to go about showing how much you support Irish MMA, such as sending a quick message to the people who run the shows.

It will also not stop other people from disagreeing with you.

Personally, i have been to a couple of Irish MMA shows. I always enjoyed them and had a great night. However, i think it would be stupid of me to comment on any show that i was not at , including this one.

Just my two cents.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    at least, he has answered every PM i ever sent him, fair play to him as we have never met .
    I :( when people don't write back to my PM's!!

Dragan wrote: »
    However, i think it would be stupid of me to comment on any show that i was not at , including this one.

QFT.

I :( when people don't write back to my PM's!!

Quite you. I am actually researching the subject matter for you! lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ok, after initially commenting on the show earlier, I decided to read all sides of the argument before commenting further.

Re. my comments "on the scene before me" when I entered the hall. Well initially it did look awful, and I'd imagine slightly intimidating to some. But someone later in the thread mentioned the cage being at floor level so the crowd had to stand for a better view of the bouts..

With that said, I'll completely withdraw my earlier comments.

Re. expensive shows. Well I've no idea about the logistics behind running an MMA show, but I've no reason to doubt everything Roper has said re. the planning, organisation and expense of putting on a show, so are they expensive.. In the early days I attended every show I could, and loved the scene. But these days there's a lot more shows taking place annually, so in that respect for me they've become too expensive, so now I pick the shows which I know a particular fight will take place and catch the news on the rest here and through the grape vine.

Roper, best of luck with your show. I genuinely wish I could get to it, but work dictates otherwise.

As for C.o.T and any other show which JK is behind, I think I've been to them all and their always a showcase of Irish MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

Judomad wrote: »
    unofficail results

Robbie Hickey (RMMA) v Ronan Birmingham (PBS) 70kgs (C) dunno???

Anybody able to tell me the results of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Ronan Birmingham won I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

Ronan Birmingham won I think

Thanks lad,

Would you know him? Cos im out of the country atm and cant get into contact with the ronan i know that started mma in pbs. trying to find out if its him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

I'd say get in touch with the PBS coach Mark Leonard or contact the gym

http://www.pointblankgym.com/contact.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Clive wrote: »
    First, I just like to say that I was drinking from a lovely plastic pint glass (two of them actually). The same plastic glasses I used to drink from in university (full of knacks UCD is I swear) and the same plastic glasses people will be drinking from at the UFC in January (except that Good Counsel didn't charge € 6.50). I've been to MMA events that haven't had drink served and while a few people might have brought their kids or girlfriends that otherwise wouldn't have - these are not the core demographic that MMA attracts. Go into town any night and you'll see it - the minute a fight breaks out, nearly every 18-30 year old male will stop to watch.

Let me say this clearly: events without drink will not attract casual fans.
    Take a group of guys who might have caught a UFC on television and tell them that there's an event on down the road with no drink and they probably won't go. Phrase it as "we'll go, watch some fights, have a few beers and then head into town afterwards" and you can convince that group. Some people may not like that reality - they may think that MMA should be happy families sitting in an orderly fashion and applauding guard-passing, and maybe they're right, maybe it should be - but it's not going to happen.

Next crowd control. Yes, it's annoying when you can't see at an event, but even with tiered, assigned seating this can happen (see the "I had a giggle thread"). As regards people around the entrance - yes it's annoying to have to get past people to get to the cage/ring, but that's tempered by the feeling you get as a fighter when you step out of the ring/cage, win or lose - and you have this crowd of people you've never met slapping you on the back and telling you you did well (and even offering to buy you one of those evil alcoholic beverages if you're lucky).

If anyone wants to volunteer to spend the next event herding people back from the walkways, I'm sure the promoters would love to hear from you.

Finally "the image of the sport". Firstly, nobody owns MMA to say what the image of the sport is or should be. It is, ultimately, the people who are in there doing things that set the image.

Anyone who knows me will attest that I have many (many!) things I don't like in MMA (and related activities such as sub wrasslin') and that occasioanally I like a good bitch and moan as much as anyone. However, if you don't like the way the sport is going, then get in there and make a difference, otherwise, you're just complaining on the internet.

I think somebody said earlier that there would be no events without spectators - this is simply not true. It would be a huge step back, but I have no doubt that most of active fighters in Ireland would pay to fight if it was the only way.
    Hmmmm well thought out articulated arguments......... Begone witch!
    I'm glad I'm not a promoter, imagine the only feedback being complaints about minor issues, better prepare yourself now Roper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I actually think this Drunkmonkey chap probably has some valid points. Better security would be a huge help with crowd control. I know skangers were causing hassle at least two of the Ring of Truths I competed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

oztots wrote: »
    Thanks lad,

Would you know him? Cos im out of the country atm and cant get into contact with the ronan i know that started mma in pbs. trying to find out if its him

Its him and Ronan indeed won by first round arm bar after a good fight.
    PM me and I can pass on your well wishes.

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    I actually think this Drunkmonkey chap probably has some valid points. Better security would be a huge help with crowd control. I know skangers were causing hassle at least two of the Ring of Truths I competed on.

Surprisingly I agree, and even agree a little bit with him. My gripe is with the fact that he didn't even attend the show, and I also have some issues with him regarding his totally unsolicited post criticising my show :)

Tim_Murphy wrote: »

I was at one of them. Myself and a mate kept clearing the ring area during your fight with Roddy actually.

I don't know. I'm licensed for this type of thing and could pull a group of 3 or 4 lads who would all know their stuff and be licensed as well.

Would there be any point though? I mean, surely MMA promoters have access to all kinds of blokes who will stand around and do a bit of crowd control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Roper wrote: »
    Surprisingly I agree, and even agree a little bit with him. My gripe is with the fact that he didn't even attend the show, and I also have some issues with him regarding his totally unsolicited post criticising my show :)
    Let me get the ball rolling by saying I was disappointed by your show which has not happened yet

Advertisement