Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TNA sign British Gladiator

• 17-11-2008 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

tnawrestling.com
    TNA recently signed UK "Gladiator" star Nick Aldis, who was in the United States two weeks ago to prepare for his upcoming debut in TNA. Aldis was known as "Oblivion" on the UK version of Gladiator. TNAwrestling.com will be providing more info on Aldis on the coming days! Aldis joins Doug Williams as the newest TNA UK roster members.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Aldis

gladiators-oblivion-lg.jpg

He does have a decent look.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

He does have a decent look.

His promos on Gladiators never did anything for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Neither for me. He always came across as a little silly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

he was trying to be the 21st century Wolf but failed imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

he was trying to be the 21st century Wolf but failed imo.

There's only one wolfman!

I thought initially Oblivion was defo trying to be wolf but then realised that people were just laughing at him, so then he decided to be the bumbling idiot type heel! I thought it worked to an extent, although the delivery of his promos wasn't great in my opinion (which is why people didnt take him seriously as the wolf type character in the 1st place).

I'd read somewhere that Aldis was a wrestler before he got into gladiators. Believe it or not, the guy is only 22 or something like that despite the fact that he looks about 30! I reckon he has the physique and all round look to make it in the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Not much info here but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Aldis
    Nick Aldis

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    Nick Aldis (born in Docking, Norfolk, England) is a British professional wrestler and television personality. He is a former National Swimming Championships competitor as well as a former National Level Tennis Player. He is currently taking time away from Wrestling to appear on the UK revival of Gladiators (where he is known by his Gladiator alias "Oblivion" or "The Big O" for short).

URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Nick_Aldis&action=edit&section=1"]edit[/URL Wrestling career

Nick has been training to be a professional wrestler since the age of 14. He turned pro at just 16 with his first appearance happening at the same show as WWE legend Jake "the Snake" Roberts.[1]
    Nick started his professional wrestling career with Ricky Knight and WAW and after making a successful start headed south to Dropkixx Academy under Frank Rimer, Tony Scarlo and Vince Randell, and later John Ritchie and John Hall. He has also had the chance to train with and get advice from Doug Williams, Jonny Storm, Mel Stuart and many more including former World Champion Wayne Bridges.
    Nick has competed against some of the UK's top names including Charlie Rage, Phil Powers, Ricky Knight and the UK Pitbulls. His most successful outing came in his Premier Wrestling Debut at the packed-out Worthing Assembly Hall against Doug Williams where he earned a gutsy pinfall during his 2 falls to 1 loss to the Anarchist.[2]

URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Nick_Aldis&action=edit&section=2"]edit[/URL Acting

Nick's first acting role was as 'The Judge' in 'The Thunderdome Games', his character was a take-no-prisoners boss of an underground motorbike stunt competition. His next role is as 'Igor' in Snow White and the Seven Dwarves alongside Caitlan Stasey and Liza Goddard at Norwich Theatre Royal opening December 16th 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Have to agree that his Gladiator work sucked, hopefully no one in the states has seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

6th wrote: »
    Have to agree that his Gladiator work sucked, hopefully no one in the states has seen it.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He got over more than anyone else in that series. big O is the only one I remember

Bubs101 wrote: »
    He got over more than anyone else in that series. big O is the only one I remember

Would that also not be because he was on every advertisement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

On a semi related note the line up for TNAs UK Tour looks strong, Yeah Oblivion tried but he was lacking in the charisma stakes, TNA don't have any kind of development unless its on the job so is this guy good enough to come straight in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Would that also not be because he was on every advertisement?

Atlas, Panther and that german one were on everything as well. Even from crowd reaction Oblivion was most over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What German one?

Personally I always liked Oblivion on Gladiators. He did he job well by getting booed. Re his charisma, well this was his first big gig, so he wasn't all that bad. Hope it works out for him with TNA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I wonder how much they got him for ?

gimmick wrote: »
    What German one?

Personally I always liked Oblivion on Gladiators. He did he job well by getting booed. Re his charisma, well this was his first big gig, so he wasn't all that bad. Hope it works out for him with TNA.

HELLGA!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

She is not in the Bristish version though, she is in American I'd say?

Whoops yeah you are right, its battle axe i meant but she aint german

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

EdK wrote: »
    Whoops yeah you are right, its battle axe i meant but she aint german

Kind of ruined her look when she spoke with a screeching liverpudlian accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

dsmythy wrote: »
    Kind of ruined her look when she spoke with a screeching liverpudlian accent.

You thought she looked good?
    GTFO:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

callaway92 wrote: »
    You thought she looked good?
    GTFO:P

No no no. She was called Battleaxe. Something meaner should of come out of her.

I wonder how much they got him for ?

He seems relatively unknown in the indys so i guess just the opportunity to go to TNA would have been enough.

At least we know that he will get a decent amount of airtime. Unlike the majority of the new signings for WWE who just job and never move anywhere for a few months.
    HELLGA!;)

Ha ha. She (battleaxe) was funny.
    dsmythy wrote: »
    No no no. She was called Battleaxe. Something meaner should of come out of her.

Did anyone else apart from me rather the american one?

• Advertisement

I preferred the American one, The UK version had to many finicky little rules, that and Ian Wright is a tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

never liked him on Gladiators

He kinda looks like Vladimir Kozlov from SD in that pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Damn, I think he is good on the mic.:o Or maybe I'm just saying that in comparison to his fellow Gladiators, because they are all ****ing awful.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I preferred the American one, The UK version had to many finicky little rules, that and Ian Wright is a tool

Not a football fan no??...He can be very funny

I am actually and he was a great fussball player with humble origins and went on to be a cocky tool, he really showed himself up on that overweight kids shoe he did too

Brutus Magnus Is Coming To TNA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inoc4mmiIgA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Sorry for the bump but watched this guy the weekend for a few minutes and he wasnt "too" bad. The finishing move sucks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

Seem to be alright on the mic though. "anyones got the bollox" nice line :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxk-bw9rzl8&NR=1

He has potential, with a bit of time and work he could be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Didn't TNA kind of give up on him after his PPV match though?

Fozzy wrote: »
    Didn't TNA kind of give up on him after his PPV match though?

How?

Advertisement