Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work getting me down.

Options
  • 17-11-2008 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

I seem to have lost all interest in work nowadays i love my job spend a fortune on gear for work but i find over the last few months ive become disenchanted with work a guy that i liked working with a few months ago kept me motivated i actually liked what i was doing unfortunately he moved and its been downhill since then plus i see other people i work with not doing a tap so its not very motivating now if i get a job to do it always seems to take me ages not down to laziness but my heart doesnt seem to be with it any advice would be greatly appreciated :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I know exactly how you feel. Maybe you should take up a hobby outside of work to give you an interest. Please don't let yourself become too disinterested in your work, take pride in what you do. I work with people who couldn't care less about the job and they seem to get on better than me but I don't like to let myself down and won't become like them. Also theres 1 guy who is great but when he is out or away the whole job atmosphere changes for the worst so I understand how you feel regarding the guy who left your job. chin up and keep the faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I've found the best cure to being disinterested in a job is to start doing a good job! For example, start coming in earlier, start taking on more work, etc.

When I feel I'm doing a good job I'm always happier in work and more productive.

A holiday might help you sort your head out as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

mendusa wrote: »
    I seem to have lost all interest in work nowadays i love my job spend a fortune on gear for work but i find over the last few months ive become disenchanted with work a guy that i liked working with a few months ago kept me motivated i actually liked what i was doing unfortunately he moved and its been downhill since then plus i see other people i work with not doing a tap so its not very motivating now if i get a job to do it always seems to take me ages not down to laziness but my heart doesnt seem to be with it any advice would be greatly appreciated :(
    Maybe you should be an English teacher? You learn all sorts of cool stuff, grammar for instance, it's a wonderful thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

How do you know they are not working? Some experienced people can make tasks look so easy that it appears they are not working, also there is a hard man attitude among the Irish to let on they are not working hard, while in fact they are doing their share but not letting the other workers know.
    In these hard times shirkers will be quickly found out and let go.
    Also beware of the workers who bad-mouth the boss but behind your back will toady up to him and tell on you or anyone who is not doing their share......
    It is perhaps wiser not to let personal relationships get mixed up with work.
    If at all possible date outside the workplace and keep your personal life to yourself. I have seen soured relationships between workmates lead to embarrassment, victimisation etc. Its not worth it.
    Things as simple as the boss knowing who has the biggest debts, mortgages etc can lead to them giving the worst work and worst conditions to those they think are more desperate. Keep your financial affairs to yourself and tell them nothing. In these hard times if at all possible learn to save.
    We all have to engage in conversation at work, chose your companions carefully, keep with the positive people who are proud of their work and avoid the bitter, negative people you'll find in every workplace. Seek out an area of work you enjoy, become an expert in it through courses, the internet and people who are experts in it. Find out how a person you admire got their job and see if you can do likewise.
    If like me you find yourself in a job you hate and have tried a few different takes on it and are getting nowhere then look for another job. Preferably, it is easier to get a job from a job because your bargaining power is stronger but if your health is suffering over a job don't be afraid to leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭ALFIET

This sounds like overall you have gotten a little down in dumps with life.:(

So yes try to take up a hobby - something you are interested in.:)

Forget about others.. you have no control over them or their work You do over yours though. Chin up and face the world mentality. Work hard. Take pride in your work no matter how insignificant things may seem

We’re conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments. But great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.:o

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID,~BUT~THEY WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well ... dance!:p

And if in a few months you are still feeling this down in the dumps, please talk to someone, your GP, a professional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Mendusa sounds like you need a kick start again, maybe a break or as the other posters said a hobby. try to rejuvenate yourself.

sometimes you can get into a rut. take the good advise that the others gave, sometimes when life gives you lemons you should make lemonade , it that doesnt work break out the tequila and salt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Maybe you should be an English teacher? You learn all sorts of cool stuff, grammar for instance, it's a wonderful thing.

+1

Advertisement