Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT CO2 emissions test

Options
  • 17-11-2008 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on passing NCT emissions test when your car is drinking oil. Its a 1.4 petrol VW golf 99.

Appreciate any ideas,cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I've put two through that were drinking oil. One passed fine, the other needed the cat to be done. Apparently oil gets clogged up in it, blocks and damages it. I think it was 230 incl vat.

Firslty i'd reccomend, give it a good service, and through in one of those petrol supplements to clear it out and take it for a good ride out the dual carrage way before putting it through. Put it throught the nct, if it fails it fails, then you can start worrying about bigger money problems. If it passes, happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

cheers, sounds like the best low cost solution. just wanna pass it and then hand it over to brother before I get myself a new car.

napapa wrote: »
    cheers, sounds like the best low cost solution. just wanna pass it and then hand it over to brother before I get myself a new car.

Lol, rightly so too. Have you put it through already or are you just planning ahead?
    If you wanted to get the drinking oil bit sorted it's the valve stem oils seals that cause it. With the right fella, it shouldn't cost TOO much to get sorted.

NCT not up til march but want to get it done before that.Guessed it was seals alright but me thinks it would cost a lot more than the cars worth in todays market anyways

As far as i know, you can do it 3 months before on a car that has already had it's first Nct. So it'll be Jan before you can do it. I heard of a fella getting the seals done for €250. I need to get them done on my own, but i'll just keep topping it with oil for the time being:D

• Advertisement

250 yoyos:eek: where the hell was that.I'm like yourself keep topping it up with some good auld 15W. Have you got a golf too?

napapa wrote: »
    250 yoyos:eek: where the hell was that.I'm like yourself keep topping it up with some good auld 15W. Have you got a golf too?

I have:D,had another and sold it two weeks back
    golfforvag.jpg

Have springs for it, so it won't be a Toureg for much longer, although i've been saying that for the last two months.

jaysus just like mine, comfortline???looking at getting the new MK6 but not sure with the way things are going,motor industry looks fooked.

It's a comfortline alright, wouldn't go near a baseline.

I saw the Mk6 lately in the local Vw. Wasn't hugely impressed, although it was a crappy colour and bad wheels. Must get a look at the inside. Apparently the blue lights arew gone:o
    DSC00038.jpg

apparently so...hahaha was in germany recently and popped into dealer to have a look.not bad finish inside and out but nothing spectacular.

Not having alloys on a new model you are trying to sell is a shocking sin!!!What are they at :mad: the fools...

• Advertisement

here is a pic of it with proper wheels

second attempt:mad:

Advertisement