Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 9 (notes on another playthrough-spoilers)

Options
  • 18-11-2008 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭

I am just past the annihilation of Cleyra. I know the story is going to get worse but the pacing storywise really has been excellent.

This is arguably the best representation of war in a FF. Arms dealer comes in, certain leader can't help but new all the new toys etc (results in the damn near extermination of one race in particular).

Last time I played this I remember Beatrix being someone who was kind of caught up in Brahne's thirst for power but this time around I have noticed it has taken until the destruction of Cleyra for her to show any remorse (even then it was more like anger that Eidolons were used rather than soldiers). She is alot more callice then I remember in the two encounters as well (using her sword to hold down a Cleyrain diplomat "you miserable rat"-theres actually alot of that, serious tints of racism Versus the Burmecians/Cleyrans).

Also the way the balance of power is on the Mist Continent when the game starts is very reminiscent of Europe Pre-WW1 in many ways. I love the way there are essentially three major powers who keep the world in steady balance until Brahne gets her hands on better technology.

Obviously there are huge elements of discriminatio apparant even at this early stage of the game with regards Vivi and the Black Mages too-Burmecian Dan and his family and the use of the word Bastard (something which is used alot in this game thus far).

Anyway, I had more thoughts as I was playing but I can't remember them all now-the simplicity of the storyline though-war between 3 big nations-is one of the game's real pluses at this point.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Although I found the story very simple, it's quite close to the storyline of FFIV and seems to be based on that game as well, what sets it apart from the other RPGs with simple stories is that it's remarkably well written. As JRPG players we owe an awful lot to the excellent writing in Vagrant Story that seemed to spell a massive increase in effort from Squares localisation teams.

I remember being surprised at how dark FFIX was in the early parts of the game but it really died away soon after. Still the excellent locations, battle system and characters kept the game moving along nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

COuldn't agree with the OP any more. My favourite game of all time, theres just something about the story thats so moving and reels you in like no other. It just froze in my mind til this very day some eight years later. I still have to play through it at least once a year

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Was thinking of FF9 recently. Think I might start playing it again, simple one of the best games I ever played along with FF10. Really enjoyed these games

Advertisement