Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron Grip Warlord (PC Game)

Options
  • 18-11-2008 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else tried this? I downloaded the free demo and its a complete blast. I am thinking of paying $24.99 for the full version.

Its an indie game that is an unusual combination of rts, fps and tower defence game. You have to defend your town against wave after wave of oncoming troops and vehicles. Online multiplayer (Co-op mode) plays like Company of heroes on acid.

Be warned the graphics are based on Quake 3 engine so they aren't pretty but at least it should run on fairly low spec hardware.

It has single player mode with bots but the difficulty level on anything above easy setting is extreme because the bots are useless. I advise using single player easy setting to figure out what is going on and then switch to multiplayer for more fun.

Game website here (demo = 400MB download allows single player and multiplayer access to one map)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

will give it a go, though I'm not impressed that they are trumpeting the demo as free on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Sounds interesting, I'll give it a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

It can be a bit intimidating at first because it combines so many concepts. Here are a few tips on the first level for a newbie.

0. Start off in single player mode on easy difficulty setting to get the hang of the game. When you feel a bit confident I reccommend jumping into a multiplayer match. Anything above Easy on single player mode is extremely difficult because the bots are not much use. I am still trying to win one match on medium difficulty setting in single player mode. Multiplayer mode is a lot easier and is a complete blast.

1. The town you have to defend is laid out in a spiral. Enemy tanks have to snake their way around (anti-clockwise) to get to your base at the top. Most enemy troops follow this route as well but some of them will thread their way through buildings and gaps in the blockades.

2.Enemies are blue, friendlies are red.

3. The objective of the game is to get the enemies morale down to zero before they get theirs to zero. Killing stuff reduces their morale. You or your colleagues being killed reduces your morale. As long as your base (at the top of the hill stands your morale will slowly increase so it is important to defend your base and to rebuild it if it ever gets destroyed. If the enemy officer (blue star) is present then the enemies morale will slowly increase. In practise it is vital to kill the enemy officer if you want to get their morale down to zero.

4. You spawn in FPS mode normal WASD controls and mouselook works.

5. You buy upgrades and stuff using "power" which accumulates when you kill stuff. Hit M for the upgrade menu. I reccommend getting a light or heavy machine gun quickly because they are much easier to use than the default musket. You will also need to buy a bazooka in order to kill enemy tanks. Land mines are cheap and powerful - I reccommend buying them as soon as you get a feeling for the map and know the routes that enemies are likely to take.

6. The "G" key switches to a top down map where you can buy and place structures. Most folks stick to fps mode at first but once you get the hang of things a well placed machine gun nest can wreak havoc. The one structure I reccommend buying almost immediately is the support station. Once you build one you can stand beside it for a few seconds to replenish your health and ammo. As far as I know this is the only way to get extra ammo.

7. Power (cash) is tight at the start of the game so spend it selectively. I haevn't tried all the upgrades yet but I generally spend my power on a support station first, then land mines, then either a machine gun nest or a machine gun, then a bazooka. Just make sure you have the bazooka before any enemy tanks get to your base or you are toast.

Advertisement