Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Meh' Becomes an official word!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

crap, wrong place to post
    feel free to delete... sorry mods. :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

About fúcking time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think this is the right place... sorry if not!

Actually I am not sorry. Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Meh!

The English language is getting very sophisticated :rolleyes:!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

thanks for telling us about this. Me life is changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Great news altogether!!!

Now maybe next year the typical teenage response of "nnnnyeeh"will be included.

Hi Darren, is this your horse?

"nnnyeeh"

Do you spend a lot of time looking after it?

"nnnyeeh"

I'd say all that equipment cost a lot of money?

"nnnyeeh"

So! what next? "Done" "Seen" Them lads thats makin' them bewks should purr in them words cos we all uses them.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I've been saying Meh for years. Finally, some recognition!! :P

For those who value the beauty and sophistication of the English language, it is particularly disheartening to discover that the English dictionaries are now becoming polluted by fabricated, American sitcom gibberish.

While The Simpsons cartoons are funny and entertaining, it is appalling that they should be perceived as a source of new ‘words’ to add to the English dictionaries, no matter how widely the catchphrases from the show are used. These are made up, cartoon character utterances and should not be given currency as part of the English language.

The term ‘meh’ is not the first of these to enter the English lexicons. Homer’s expression ‘D’oh!’ (scripted as an annoyed grunt), was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%27oh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

@The Raven:
    Meh is a perfectly cromulent word.

The Raven. wrote: »
    For those who value the beauty and sophistication of the English language, it is particularly disheartening to discover that the English dictionaries are now becoming polluted by fabricated, American sitcom gibberish.

While The Simpsons cartoons are funny and entertaining, it is appalling that they should be perceived as a source of new ‘words’ to add to the English dictionaries, no matter how widely the catchphrases from the show are used. These are made up, cartoon character utterances and should not be given currency as part of the English language.

The term ‘meh’ is not the first of these to enter the English lexicons. Homer’s expression ‘D’oh!’ (scripted as an annoyed grunt), was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%27oh

One man that was funny and entertaining that totally threw the english language a curve ball around the 16th century and created these words:
    Nouns:
    accused, addiction, alligator, amazement, anchovies, assassination, backing, bandit, bedroom, bump, buzzers, courtship, critic, dauntless, dawn, design, dickens, discontent, embrace, employer, engagements, excitements, exposure, eyeball, fixture, futurity, glow, gust, hint, immediacy, investments, kickshaws, leapfrog, luggage, manager, mimic, misgiving, mountaineer, ode, outbreak, pageantry, pedant, perusal, questioning, reinforcement, retirement, roadway, rumination, savagery, scuffles, shudders, switch, tardiness, transcendence, urging, watchdog, wormhole, zany

Verbs:
    besmirch, bet, blanket, cake, cater, champion, compromise, cow, denote, deracinate, dialogue, dislocate, divest, drug, dwindle, elbow, enmesh, film, forward, gossip, grovel, hobnob, humour, hurry, impedes, jet, jig, label, lapse, lower, misquote, negotiate, numb, pander, partner, petition, puke, rant, reword, secure, submerge, swagger, torture, unclog
    Adjectives:
    aerial, auspicious, baseless, beached, bloodstained, blushing, circumstantial, consanguineous, deafening, disgraceful, domineering, enrapt, epileptic, equivocal, eventful, fashionable, foregone, frugal, generous, gloomy, gnarled, hush, inaudible, invulnerable, jaded, juiced, lackluster, laughable, lonely, lustrous, madcap, majestic, marketable, monumental, nervy, noiseless, oscene, olympian, premeditated, promethean, quarrelsome, radiance, rancorous, reclusive, remorseless, rival, sacrificial, sanctimonious, softhearted, splitting, stealthy, traditional, tranquil, unmitigated, unreal, varied, vaulting, viewless, widowed, worthless, yelping
    Adverbs:
    importantly, instinctively, obsequiously, threateningly, tightly, trippingly, unaware[/FONT]

Thats a lot of words....

I dont need to patronize anyone by stating the obvious and saying who it is.

But just in case....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shakespeare

One man that was funny and entertaining that totally threw the english language a curve ball around the 16th century and created these words:

Many words and phrases have been accredited to Shakespeare. No doubt a lot of the accreditation is genuine, but as the Wikipedia article says: ‘it is often difficult, if not often impossible, to determine the true origin of a word…’ The Oxford English Dictionary cites words in Shakespeare’s works as the ‘earliest examples’, but some at least may have existed in spoken language prior to that.

I notice your list of words is not on the Wikipedia site, unless I have missed a link. I have seen some of them on various sites of questionable origin, the only full list being:

http://www.rhymezone.com/g/shakespeare/coinages//

However, Shakespeare is widely regarded as the greatest writer of the English language, and the epitome of intellectual genius in English drama. He has made an enormous contribution in terms of standardization and extention of the written vocabularly with rich, colourful and expressive new words and phrases.

On the other hand, The Simpsons are appreciated on a level that is the complete opposite. The sitcom is enjoyed primarily for its primitive and farcical nature.

It is regrettable that some English lexicographers are ignoring this distinction and lowering the standard of the hitherto most respected English dictionaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Meh became a word recorded by certain lexicographers.

There are no official words in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Talliesin wrote: »
    Meh became a word recorded by certain lexicographers.

There are no official words in English.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Meh

Meh is used to describe any and every word possible, including:
    Yes
    No
    maybe
    kind of
    never
    always
    ok
    alright
    no thankyou
    yes please
    look bitch i really dont care so just shut the **** up
    if you want
    whatever
    If you wnat
    i dont want to really
    well
    shut up
    i dont really care
    no honestly, i dont care...

...and is never explained on which is actually used...
    "you wanna come round mine?"
    "meh"
    "whats that mean"
    (told all of the definitions above)
    "so which one? yes or no?"
    "meh"
    "that a yes?"
    "meh"
    "a no??"
    "meh"
    "a maybe???"
    "meh?"
    "maybe???"
    "meh"
    "look please tell me"
    "meh"......
    ( source : urban dictionary.....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Remember when "smackdown" became an official word ?
    next intrnt abbrev. will become official words.
    gtfo.... wtf....stfu....tbh...imo....yore ma

buy buy Queens English

Remember when "smackdown" became an official word ?
    next intrnt abbrev. will become official words.
    gtfo.... wtf....stfu....tbh...imo....yore ma

buy buy Queens English

At least the term ‘smackdown’ has a clear definition, notwithstanding its origins:

Smackdown: a severe beating or defeat; a decisive setback. (Dictionary.com)

The term ‘meh’ makes no more sense that a goat’s grunt.

The ‘terms’: gtfo, wtf, stfu, tbh and imo, commonly referred to as ‘Internet slang’, are abbreviations of words that already exist in dictionaries, while ‘yore ma’ is a slang phrase. It appears unlikely that any of these will be added to anything other than slang dictionaries, although anything is possible :(!

It is regrettable that the English language is not protected by a linguistic governance body such as the Académie Française or Dansk Sprognævn. It is badly needed to stop the deterioration at this point in time.

What wasn't clear in what I said?

• Advertisement

Talliesin wrote: »

What wasn't clear in what I said?

Ha, i cant even remember, i must have been very tired or something. :o

Sorry Talliesin

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It is regrettable that the English language is not protected by a linguistic governance body such as the Académie Française or Dansk Sprognævn. It is badly needed to stop the deterioration at this point in time.

Set one up on Facebook?

Thanks for the suggestion, Pickarooney. The two institutions I mentioned are official regulatory bodies, consisting of elected members for whom it is a life-long commitment. The Académie Française was officially established in 1635 by Cardinal Richelieu, and restored in 1803 by Napoleon Bonaparte.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acad%C3%A9mie_fran%C3%A7aise

The Dansk Sprognævn was established in 1955 as part of the Danish Ministry of Culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dansk_Sprogn%C3%A6vn

Given these circumstances, for me to set up an English equivalent might cause some raised eyebrows, even if I did have the time :)!!

Clearly this is why French and Danish are spoken by so many more people around the world than English...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

It is regrettable that the English language is not protected by a linguistic governance body such as the Académie Française or Dansk Sprognævn. It is badly needed to stop the deterioration at this point in time.[/QUOTE]
    - The Raven

I don't agree with you. Languages evolve and that's the beauty of them. The world changes and develops as do languages so that we can express ourselves in a relevant way.

dolliemix wrote: »
    I don't agree with you. Languages evolve and that's the beauty of them. The world changes and develops as do languages so that we can express ourselves in a relevant way.

Dolliemix, I think you are missing the point here. There is a difference between the deterioration of language and the necessity to add new words to cater for an ever-changing world. The function of these institutions is obviously not to deny the extension of languages, but to protect them from descending into unintelligible anarchy.

Advertisement