Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find religion interesting?

Options
  • 18-11-2008 1:13am
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Although you may lack belief, do you still find religion/religious stories to be of interest?

Personally I've always enjoyed old testament type stories, in the same way I would enjoy Greek mythology. The cheesy lessons and supernatural explanations for now logical things in life appeal to me somehow.

Anybody agree?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

If I didn't find it interesting i wouldn't post in Christianity, or here for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I do find it interesting alright, I find the New Testament a fascinating subject, not so much the Old Testament though, its too ridiculous for my liking really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

As it has played such a massive part in shaping the vast majority known human cultures, from a cultural and historical point of view I certainly find it a very interesting topic. If not the finer details of course.

I admit to enjoying a wander around old churches and catherdrals now and again as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just as an insight into the human mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Murder, intrigue, rape, incest, genocide, war, magical powers, ghosts, ghouls, Romans, prostitutes, criminals, jails, lions, bears, boxes that eventually melt Nazi's, Egyptian Pharohs, virgin births, entire seas being parted by octagenarians, muscles, swords, witches, demons, snakes, cannibalism, vengeful gods, far off lands, table condiments and people rising from the dead but arent zombies ...

... and Peter Jackson will direct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Just as an insight into the human mind.

Precisely. It's interesting to observe the dynamics of religion, how different people absorb and portray it, how they react to and live with it.

The material itself would hold little interest to me, if I wanted to read a preachy-styled epic I woulda' gone for Lord of the Rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I find it very interesting, I love trying to figure out how its such a force in society and using it to gain insight into how the mind works. I like the stories and the buildings and the mystery.

As far as scripture goes for me the bible is a good read, the Qur’an is a bit boring, the bhagavad gita has some nice pictures and the Principia Discordia just rocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Although you may lack belief, do you still find religion/religious stories to be of interest?

Personally I've always enjoyed old testament type stories, in the same way I would enjoy Greek mythology. The cheesy lessons and supernatural explanations for now logical things in life appeal to me somehow.

Anybody agree?

I find religion fascinating because I find humans fascinating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Do you find religion interesting?

Yes. It's fascinating that otherwise intelligent people can believe or at least claim to believe all sorts of bizarre and even impossible things when those same things come under the banner of religion. There's obviously a powerful psychological effect at work and I find that interesting, especially since it's so ubiquitous throughout society and across many different cultures. For that reason, and not to mention it's impact on cultural development, it can't be dismissed out of hand as it obviously fulfills a need in alot of people's minds that rationalised thought does not. Why that is I do not know exactly, but the process of trying to understand it a little better is interesting nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Yes. It's fascinating that otherwise intelligent people can believe or at least claim to believe all sorts of bizarre and even impossible things when those same things come under the banner of religion. There's obviously a powerful psychological effect at work and I find that interesting, especially since it's so ubiquitous throughout society and across many different cultures. For that reason, and not to mention it's impact on cultural development, it can't be dismissed out of hand as it obviously fulfills a need in alot of people's minds that rationalised thought does not. Why that is I do not know exactly, but the process of trying to understand it a little better is interesting nonetheless.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I just can't get enough reading material on this kind of stuff. It's totally compelling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Yes very interesting, Im going to Isreal next february and enjoying the bible !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Of course I find it interesting. But then I always have read way too much on stuff I don't subscribe to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

I find it interesting alright, but more from a sociological and psychological perspective than theological. I don't really have as much interest in what people believe, rather I'm interested in why they believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The bible contains some of the best comedy and fiction I have ever read.
    I love a good read of Gideons when I am stuck in a hotel somewhere and bored.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

It depends how you mean. I'm extremely interested in religion because I am deeply opposed to it.

I love the mythology of some religions, like old Greek and Norse. I find the monothesims rather bland, and the fact they are my ideological anti-theses further takes away from their entertainment value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Wicknight wrote: »
    I find religion fascinating because I find humans fascinating :)
    +1:)

Advertisement