Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving a Eng Reg Car Across the Country.

Options
  • 18-11-2008 1:32am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok, meant to be collecting my new car this weekend from dublin to kerry. Its still on English plates so no Nct/Tax.

Now thats really worrying me incase I run into customs/gardai, so Im wondering seeing as I only bought the car would I be let off or would they think its just b/s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

You'd just get a warning first time. Happened to the OH a few weeks ago she had the car in the country a few weeks at that stage, customs guy just happened to spot her pull in home. He gave her the usual stern talking too took her details and told her get it sorted asap. She got an official warning.

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    ok, meant to be collecting my new car this weekend from dublin to kerry. Its still on English plates so no Nct/Tax.

Now thats really worrying me incase I run into customs/gardai, so Im wondering seeing as I only bought the car would I be let off or would they think its just b/s.

You will be fine. Im a few months on uk plates now and I have done a lot of driving and all I have seen is one Garda checkpoint and I was waved through. Dont know about anyone else but I have only seen a customs checkpoint once in my life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Alright thats not too bad so. like i dont mind getting a warning as I will be storing it for a few weeks till I get everything sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

RHCP, there is nothing wrong with driving your car across the country. You have 24 hours to bring the car through once its in your possession, gardai or customs dont even have the right to give you an official warning as long as you're still within the 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

R_H_C_P wrote: »

You should be fine but just keep the ferry receipt with you.

The VRO don't open at weekends, you have until the next working day to pay the VRT at your local VRO afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Alright, cheers for that guys.

Thats a huge worry off my chest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

You will be fine. Im a few months on uk plates now and I have done a lot of driving and all I have seen is one Garda checkpoint and I was waved through. Dont know about anyone else but I have only seen a customs checkpoint once in my life.

OOHhh you evil person :p your the reason the country is in bits not paying VRT or road tox grrrr :D:D

JoeySully wrote: »
    OOHhh you evil person :p your the reason the country is in bits not paying VRT or road tox grrrr :D:D

Im avoiding the auld tax alright but when I eventually clear the car I will be clearing it for free so Im only partly to blame for the state of the economy.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

uh oh, all last week the customs were parked outside Tralee town pulling in all Eng reg cars, seems like they have been given a kick up the a$$ to pull in revenue!

(what did you buy?)

But if you are going to change, it might be worth driving it down anyway....

Advertisement