Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

challenges facing laois

Options
  • 18-11-2008 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

what are the challenges facing laois in 2009 and beyond,when the health service is as bad as in a third world nation,when jobs are coming to laois in terms of retail its only part time,very little full time jobs on offer but yet you see on local papers from around the county local politicians opening them UP and calling it a boost for the area,then you see PICTURES OF them giving out golf awards MAKES ME SICK,and so on like nottings happening at all,the situation is so serious that most hard working people or middle class people of our county are not given a chance,to get a well payin job,to drive there morgages away and get there lifes back,because if it takes 30 years to repay a morgage with a job,then how long without??[thank god i dont have one]Not only are politicians to blame but so are all the county councils of ireland not just in laois....................SO WITH LOCAL and european elections coming up im thinking,,LETS CHANGE THE WAY OUR COUNTY COUNCIL WORKS FIRST THEN OUR POLITICIANS!!!,WHEN YOU CLEAN A HOUSE YOU DONT JUST CLEAN A ROOM!!!!!!!!!!:mad: ,or we can live like this forever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Um..having a bad day there jonbravo? You might get more of a response here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=99

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

would i be better off moving this thread??not a bad day for me yet,but it will be soon bad for all!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

All you have done there is go on a rant...not try and discuss ''challenges'' facing laois...it's the nation that is facing a challenge not just laois.

And just so your aware writing in CAPS on boards is seen as shouting and can be considered offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Gareth28

kmart6 wrote: »
    All you have done there is go on a rant...not try and discuss ''challenges'' facing laois...it's the nation that is facing a challenge not just laois.

And just so your aware writing in CAPS on boards is seen as shouting and can be considered offensive.

Well done kmart..... i expect nothing else from you than to run people down. Caps aint "considered" offensive... since when did you write up the rule book! And he was just starting up a thread... and a valid one at that. Rant or no rant. So lets keep it on track kmart and elaborate on the "challenges".

i just think we should think small first aka'laois',all i have to offer is my own views,if i had answers i wouldnt have posted in at all,would love to read your own views on this subject??thanks all for your posts,[caps rule i dont understand but if anyone feels like its offensive,then consider this a big,SORRY;-]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭token56

Laois has the same problems as most of the rest of the country.
    Education: A lack of room in both primary and secondary schools and ever increasing class sizes. The promise of new schools but with them not being delivered and certainly never being delivered in the time scale promised. Look at Patrican College Ballyfin as an example. It should have been closed years ago and all the students should be in the new school which was promised. But now they have to suffice with prefabs and second rate facilities. Maybe this is an extreme example I dont know.
    Health: Its hard to discuss specifically in relation to Laois as all the problems which occur in Laois are widespread across the country. For example lack of staff and lack of facilities. For example there is a brand new A&E department lying ideal because there is not enough staff to open it, although I hear it is due to open in the new year. Now I realise times are hard and the government is cutting back but this has been lying ideal for well over a year now, its crazy really. Sometimes it feels like Laois is being left behind in terms of quality health services with alot obviously going to Tullamore and such which makes sense for more than one reasons if the governments plan is still for localized centres of excellence. But basic things like enough beds and staff to man the facilities which are there should not be overlooked.
    Jobs: Again the whole country is being hit by unemployment but it is being felt pretty hard in laois at the moment. Recent figures showed the since this time last year unemployment figures have increased by 86%, with the national average being 60% and counties like offaly being 51%. How can there be such a difference I am not sure. Alot of jobs in Laois are/were in the construction sector and this has been hit particularly bad, the retail sector also provides alot of the jobs at the moment and things are not going particularly well there either with alot of people being let go.
    To be fair the public sector employs quiet alot of people in Laois which means secure jobs too, well hopefully. But Laois does not have alot of large scale industrial type employers and hasn't had for a few years now and this doesn't seem like its going to change now. Who is to blame for this probably the government/IDA but I think its more important to look at what can be done rather than who to blame. As for what can be done, I honestly dont know but Laois needs some major investment to create jobs, along with more investment from the government in things like high quality broadband and other basic infastructure if Laois is to attract any sort of outside investment which would create major jobs.

Just my thoughts.

some very good points there,in terms of jobs lets make our mountain our heart,we need to make more from it in terms of tourism,log cabins,sporting events like rally,just thinking of a few ways to create jobs,am...............wind farms maybe,theres a lot more to laois then just a jail,a theme park would be nice haha

Gareth28 wrote: »
    Well done kmart..... i expect nothing else from you than to run people down. Caps aint "considered" offensive... since when did you write up the rule book! And he was just starting up a thread... and a valid one at that. Rant or no rant. So lets keep it on track kmart and elaborate on the "challenges".
    Oh yeah I'm really running people down by saying that:rolleyes:It is considered shouting at people not only on Boards but online generally, a poster might be angry but that doesn't mean they need to type like that! If you were to look around Boards you will see it being said to people, I never said I'm making up the rules, but that goes as one of the unwritten rules around Boards always has!

im new to boards in general but thanks for filling me in on that kmart6:-]

Yeah I noticed that...so that's wht I was saying it...but other new members to this site feel the need to have a go at me for informing new posters of things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Challanges facing Laois are same as the challanges that are facing the whole country,the important thing is how do we as a county address the situation.Lets look at the positives...excellent central location close to Dublin with good road net work both into and throughout the county and a pretty decent railservice...decent selection of large shops in Portlaois and lots of other shops in Portlaois and the rest of Laois towns....we live in relatively safe secure environment.Some things that we can do are 1.shop local and spend money in our county where possible,2.promote Laois where possible i.e. organise events that will bring in visitors,3.give our Local Representatives a mandate to attract/demand outside investment and make them accountable to carry that mandate out,4.we need to put a strong voice in Leinster House to demand that we get the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Yeah I noticed that...so that's wht I was saying it...but other new members to this site feel the need to have a go at me for informing new posters of things!

do you get picked on it other forums or is it just here?.....bein clique n all that!;)

this is not about kmart6,thats his or hers problem

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Gareth28

MAN SCREW THAT ... YOU CAN WRITE ANYWAY YOU WANT AND I INTEND TO DO SO... ! CAPS ALL THE WAY! YYYYEEEHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..........

is that the end of the caps war now haha

Advertisement