Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drifting off...

Options
  • 18-11-2008 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭

You're in your bed, lovely, cosy and warm, under the cover, snuggly, about to wander off into dream land and then BAM! you get this falling sensation.

Your whole body kind off....jerks. Hard to descirbe, just wondering how common it is, and is there an explanation for it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

I know neither the cause nor how common it is, but I do know it happens me on occasion and it scares the living daylights out of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

yea happens to me quite a bit

Happens to me the odd time. Not very often though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I often trip as I am about to fall asleep, its very annoying. I would say something like that would be fairly common, since everyone moves around when sleeping, whether they know it or not. Some take more effort to settle in than others though perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

happens to me on average once a weekish,scares the bejaysus out of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I get that a lot too! That feeling of falling down stairs of off something :( Happens me way too often too for my liking!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think it's great fun, usually drifting off having a dream when I trip or something in the dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

happens to me all the time. Its never tripping or anything it just happens. Barman in my local said its cos i drink way to much but never heard that before so ignored him lol

yea i get it maybe once every two weeks... its a weird feelin cause for me, i kinda know im about to jerk.

last year, i jerked so badly that i punched a glass of water on my dresser... good thing no one was in bed beside me....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

IvySlayer wrote: »
    you get this falling sensation.
    Falling to sleep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Falling to sleep?

More like failing.

Yeah like falling to the ground when you're nodding off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Supposedly, it comes from deep in our brains, due to the fact that humans evolved from tree dwelling species. If the animal was sleeping in a tree and started to slip off it's branch, the instinct is to startle oneself awake and grab onto something. We have lived on the ground for a few million years now, yet that instinct is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Supposedly, it comes from deep in our brains, due to the fact that humans evolved from tree dwelling species. If the animal was sleeping in a tree and started to slip off it's branch, the instinct is to startle oneself awake and grab onto something. We have lived on the ground for a few million years now, yet that instinct is still there.

Watch QI do we :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭riff-raff

normally it happens just as I'm falling out of bed !! just before I hit the floor:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

My ex used to be really bad for twitching as he was falling to sleep
    The first night we were allowed to sleep in the same bed in my parents house he lashed out and gave me black eye!
    Needless to say my Dad had some questions for him the next morning

Advertisement