Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rockabilly licks

Options
  • 18-11-2008 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any good ones?

Just looking for something to mess around with. Having trouble coming up with anything vaguely rockabilly sounding myself. :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

The mixolydian scale is your friend.

Alot of the early 'Billy players such as Cliff Gallup of Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps fame had serious jazz chops, and you can hear this bleeding into their leads. I've copped most of my rockabilly licks from stealing bits here and there from jazz players like Charlie Christian.

Also, check out Brian Setzer and hold on to your hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

fish-head wrote: »
    The mixolydian scale is your friend.

Alot of the early 'Billy players such as Cliff Gallup of Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps fame had serious jazz chops, and you can hear this bleeding into their leads. I've copped most of my rockabilly licks from stealing bits here and there from jazz players like Charlie Christian.

Also, check out Brian Setzer and hold on to your hat.

Thanks, I'll have a look at some of their stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnnystress

Check out Dublin based Mike Brookfield

www.mikebrookfield.com

Loads of his stuff, rockabilly, jazz, classic rock etc on Youtube

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=vjgGsjSjjjY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Is he on here? I know someone on here has one of those Tyler Burning Waters... :confused:

Advertisement