Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2005 audi tdi is not purring like a kitten :(

Options
  • 18-11-2008 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

ok, heres the situation

bought a cheap exfleet car,
    Put original timing belt kit with tensioner into it, along with new fan belt & tensioner, new fuel pump air & oil filter. (all parts original)

YET she still sounds quite loud when ideling almost like a tractor! (but not as loud obviously)

is there anything else i could replace??

there is 200km on the clock which is around 130,000 car has a full service history and apart from the noise situation drives 100% in all other area's

any help would be apricated

p.s its an Audi 2.0 TDI 6 speed manual 140bhp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I always found the VAG TDi to be noisy and course than other diesels out there, even the newer 2.0 TDi.

Is it louder since the T/Belt was changed or has it been like that since you bought it?

Could it be a sound proofing problem rather than mechanical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

spongbob wrote: »
    ok, heres the situation

Put original timing belt kit with tensioner into it, along with new fan belt & tensioner, new fuel pump air & oil filter. (all parts original)

YET she still sounds quite loud when ideling almost like a tractor! (but not as loud obviously)

there is 200km on the clock which is around 130,000 car has a full service history and apart from the noise situation drives 100% in all other area's

They're loud anyway, and get louder with mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Normal I would imagine.
    I started up my Octavia TDi after a couple of months being away and I thought it sounded like a tractor too... but just got used to it! I wouldnt worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

try an an oil & filter change too.

Extra smokey?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They never did sound like kittens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

When the engine gets warmer they seem to quieten down a little. I've noticed a big difference between the 1.9TDI & the 2.0TDI. I used to have a 1.9TDI A4 and it was very loud in comparison the the 2.0TDI passat I currently drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

YET she still sounds quite loud when ideling almost like a tractor!

Sorry but thats what you have bought ...........a tractor.

Any diesel with only 4 cylinders especially will sound like this.Theres nowt you can do.

What kind of sound were you expecting mate,have you had diesel experience in a car before?

diesels seem to get louder with age, anyone know why? Must be a mechanical reason

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It's not a Black 2005 C plate with a Tow Bar is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

diesels seem to get louder with age, anyone know why? Must be a mechanical reason

Because they're inferior to petrols, that's why;).

Sorry, don't have a proper explanation.

Anyway the PD engines like the one found in the OPs car always sounded like a right bag of spanners, even by 4 cylinder diesel standards they're loud(though the 1.9 is a fair bit louder).

Weirdly enough the VAG 1.4 TDI is quieter, even though it's only got 3 cylinders and also has PD technology.

If you want an engine that purrs like a kitten, you need a 6 cylinder petrol, especially a straight 6, though they make a very sporting growl if you start taking them beyond 3,000 rpm.

At low revs they are wonderfully smooth and under low throttle and/or low revs they are extremely quiet engines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

ok, heres the situation

Its never going to be as smooth or quiet as most of its competitors.
    What about a sound proofing kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

thanks for the help lads.,

i still dont think it should be this loud, i also have a tdRedI estate a4, 1997 with 150,000 miles and it still drives like new and no way half as noisy..

and yeah R.O.R it does happen to be 2005 C reg toe bar car

what ever it is i will pay to get fixed after all i did get it cheap.

cheers

how can you rate them as tractors the power in them is great, touching 130mph

joeperry wrote: »
    Sorry but thats what you have bought ...........a tractor.

Any diesel with only 4 cylinders especially will sound like this.Theres nowt you can do.

What kind of sound were you expecting mate,have you had diesel experience in a car before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I got my timing belt changed today in a 1.9tdi 130bhp passat at main dealer. I gave it an oil service the weekend with the fully synthetic oil (507.00), new oil filter, new air filter and pollen filter all OEM. I noticed since that it runs a lot smoother and its more economical and less noisy. Im putting it down to high quality oil and engine breaths easier as the old air filter was quiet dirty. The down side is that for 5liters of that oil was 75euro.

thanks for the heads up man, i got the oil and coolant changed when the timing belt was done, on friday last. not sure whuch oil was used i wasnt there to see it, the noise was in it befor the service and still there now..

i wonder if there is a bearing gone

was informed today that the problem with the loud ideling noise is coming from the aultinator and that i need to replace the aultinator 'pully & tensionor' = aprox 100euro w/out labour cost. Does anyone know if this is a common fault.

as i say iv put a new alloriginals Timing belt Kit into it, along with fan belt and Tennsionor, water pump and the rest oi, coolant, filters break pads ect

Advertisement