Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccommend me a card for €100 yoyos...

Options
  • 18-11-2008 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭

...new or second hand. Availability is slow in the latter so not too keen - currently have a 7900GTX combined with the spec in sig. nVidia preferably.

Opinions please :D

Oh, and one thing - does 8800=9800 now? Nothing 8800 seems to be available new any more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can still get 8800GT and 8800GTS cards new but they're in shorter supply, the 9600GT is an original piece, but the 9600GSO is a rebadged 8800GS, the 9800GT a rebadged 8800GT and the 9800GTX a slightly faster version of the 8800GTS 512mb.

For 100 euro....At the moment Peats have a 9800GT for 109 euro which is about as good as it gets for that price range, still a great card and much faster then a 7900GTX. I would have suggested 2nd hand but there's very little to be had at the moment. There is a guy selling a Club3d 512mb 8800GTS with no one interested at 130 on adverts so maybe he'll drop to 100-110 - there was also someone willing to sell a 640mb 8800GTS for around the 75-80 euro mark, with no takers last time I checked. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

There is a Nvidia 7950 GX2 for sale on adverts at the moment going for €50! id snap that up if i were on the market for a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Right, severance pay just came in (only a summer job) and was more than expected so lets double the budget. Maximum €200, what do we think?

Cheers for the opinions so far lads. 9800GT looks class, but now that I can go for a bit more...:P

jetski wrote: »
    There is a Nvidia 7950 GX2 for sale on adverts at the moment going for €50! id snap that up if i were on the market for a card.

Wouldn't recommend that, had one before and it was a nightmare in more modern games. COD4 ran horribly, it's SLI optimization for old gen cards is terrible, basically runs as a single 7950GT, Medal of Honor Airborne was a similar story - performance with Sli enabled in the CP was 50% that of a single 7950GT -having to keep manually switching between Sli set to on and off for different games gets tiresome very quickly (I'm aware you can make profiles for games, that didn't work at all, I had to install older forceware drivers and disable Sli entirely for said games).

Maybe a good card back in the day for older Dx9 titles like FEAR, BF2, Far Cry, Half Life 2/Source games and so on, but for the latest ones it's quite crap in the overall picture.

For 200 it's a bit tricky, that will get you a 4850 with 50 quid left over (or only 20 or 30 if you get the 1gb version), but for another 40 you'd get a 4870 which is a beast. No card really right on the 200 mark that's worth it to be honest (9800GTX+ hovers closer, but is more or less neck and neck with 512mb 4850 so it's pointless unless you specifically want Nvidia)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭CJTobin

nVidea Geforce 6200 for under €50, if that interests you:

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1228969

It's midrange, but I'm sure it could hold it's own with the latest cards out there atm. It's PCI though, not PCI-E, but it could definately soup up an older machine.

CJTobin wrote: »

It's midrange, but I'm sure it could hold it's own with the latest cards out there atm. It's PCI though, not PCI-E, but it could definately soup up an older machine.

Is that a joke??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Theres a warranty replacement 4870 on dabs.ie for €205.......plus €13 for shipping.

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=55PF&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=4870&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

if not that, the 4850 is the next card down for ATI they go for about €160 at peats or on dabs.ie.

For 200 it's a bit tricky, that will get you a 4850 with 50 quid left over (or only 20 or 30 if you get the 1gb version), but for another 40 you'd get a 4870 which is a beast.
    Spunge wrote: »
    Theres a warranty replacement 4870 on dabs.ie for €205.......plus €13 for shipping.

Thanks. Looks like I might go for a 4870. Stretching it, but I suppose it's an investment :D Depends how my offer of 180 on 2x8800GTX on adverts goes.

Never ventured into ATi territory before, apart from an old PCI card - what's the most reputbale reseller/rebrand to go for, Sapphire etc? Was looking at this @€;239. 1GB better than the 512MB I presume, or is that a marketing ploy?

Is that a joke??

My reaction exactly. I got rid of one of those out of my last PC, and upgraded to the 7600GT i had before this one. Think it's growing dust on a shelf inside, no need to buy one :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Get a 4850, works well on most games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Go for the HD4870 - I got one myself and haven't looked back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Is that a joke??
    Heh heh.. Thats worse than the card he wants to upgrade :rolleyes:

To stir this once more before I buy -

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1637125/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-4870-1-gb-gddr5.html

This worth the price? Or should I keep it to a 512MB for €50-60 less? And anyone reccommend a better place to buy from/better brand etc, dont particuarly like pix, or dabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I have a 4870 512MB (also Sapphire) sitting here as it doesnt have the res support I want. If you want to make an offer on it PM me.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I have a 4870 512MB (also Sapphire) sitting here as it doesnt have the res support I want. If you want to make an offer on it PM me.

You seem to have everything I need. Think I'll buy new though, I want something new and shiny. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    You seem to have everything I need. Think I'll buy new though, I want something new and shiny. :)

One could say that shows I buy poorly (ie everything)!

To stir this once more before I buy -

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1637125/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-4870-1-gb-gddr5.html

This worth the price? Or should I keep it to a 512MB for €50-60 less? And anyone reccommend a better place to buy from/better brand etc, dont particuarly like pix, or dabs.

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Anyone?

I hear Elara.ie are good. :D

Anyone?

If your monitor is over 22" then go for it if its under then don't bother :)

Buy from Komplett, 1Gb overclocked model only 279.

Caved when I walked into Peats and saw a 512 HD4870 for €249. It's a monster, I'm well chuffed :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement