Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roadworks Speed Limit Order M4/N4 Leixlip

• 18-11-2008 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Does anybody know if Kildare County Council ever issued a Roadworks Speed Limit Order on the N4 Leixlip by-pass. The old limit was 80km/h and the roadwork signs say 60km/h but I can't find any County Council order (as required under the Road Traffic Act 2004).

As such, is the 60km/h limit just a guide or actually regulatory and enforceable? I ask because I was doing about 75km/h today and I passed a stationary Gatso van. I'm guessing I got points and I deserve them as it was a very obvious white van but I'd be interested to know what others think....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

It was certainly published in the local paper.

Is that part of the road Kildare or Dublin ?

I think it's Dublin because the border ( I am open to correction ) is the river isn't it ?

Interesting I have not seen a GATSO van there , can't think where it would be safe to park one up TBH.

The lanes are very narrow, and a lot of lane changing going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunshimmer

It was a little before the Newcastle underpass. So I'm not sure what that counts as? They had moved some cones on the left there and parked two white vans, one at a slight angle to the road, back facing the traffic.

The Leixlip by-pass is listed on the Garda website as one of the potential spots for the new Gatsos. I'm pretty certain that's what it was. High roof transit with a fan thingy.

It was dark too but I think they have infrared so I'd say I'm done. Feeling a bit hard done by. The road was quiet and I wasn't much over the 60k :(

Although to be fair, there have been a lot of accidents along there lately, particulary around The Spa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Under bye-laws, the default limit is 50km/h in that area, the M4 from the county boundary to the Leixlip Interchange is 120km/h, the N4 from the Leixlip Interchange to Liffey Valley is 80km/h. Thereafter the N4 is 60km/h as far as the city boundary.

From 985m west the Leixlip Interchange to 470m west of the Leixlip Interchange is 80km/h under a RWSLO.

From 470m west of the Leixlip Interchange to 650m west of the Newcastle Road is 60km/h under a RWSLO.

From 650m west of the Newcastle Road to 490m east of the Newcastle Road is 50km/h under a RWSLO.

From 490m east of the Newcastle Road to 400m east of the Ballydowd overbridge is 60km/h under a RWSLO.

http://roads.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=246
    http://roads.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=228
    http://roads.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=229

There will be advisory speed limits - ending with a 5, e.g. 35, 45 km/h which are advisory which means the garda won't do you for sppeding (but may do you for careless dangerous driving), but its your fault if you hit something.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

sunshimmer wrote: »
    Feeling a bit hard done by. The road was quiet and I wasn't much over the 60k :(

Yeah, sure.
    I was doing about 75km/h today

Come on Samson, I did say 'to be fair, there have been accidents along there'. Everyone feels a little hard done by when roadworks speed limits are in place. I'm not a particularly fast driver. Guys bomb down that road doing well over 120k all the time.

2 points for 3 years for driving under the usual speed limit on an empty road at night.

Thanks BTW to everyone else!! :)

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »

From 985m west the Leixlip Interchange to 470m west of the Leixlip Interchange is 80km/h under a RWSLO.

From 470m west of the Leixlip Interchange to 650m west of the Newcastle Road is 60km/h under a RWSLO.

From 650m west of the Newcastle Road to 490m east of the Newcastle Road is 50km/h under a RWSLO.

From 490m east of the Newcastle Road to 400m east of the Ballydowd overbridge is 60km/h under a RWSLO.

That's very comprehensive Victor!!! Thanks for that!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Come on Samson, I did say 'to be fair, there have been accidents along there'. Everyone feels a little hard done by when roadworks speed limits are in place. I'm not a particularly fast driver. Guys bomb down that road doing well over 120k all the time.

They shouldn't be - that piece of road is a mess at the moment and people will cause accidents going at 120kph!

My most hated bit is trying to get out at the Spa Hotel on slip - there is a STOP sign here but those obeying it will often find themselves with an impatient person behind them trying to overtake!

Or there was the R148 ->N4 eastbound on-slip until very recently - another STOP sign, cars going too fast on the N4 mainline made it impossible to get out here. Been rectified recently though with a merging lane (warning though, it lane drops for Lucan).

Mind you, and not to make it excuses, there have been some stupid speed limits on the N4 Lucan Road in the past where there was no roadworks. The 40mph / 60 km/h RWSL for what was it, eight years after the Liffey Valley roadworks were completed (the RWSLO was never withdrawn, the Council refused to do so until the dispute with the Hermitage Golf Club over the closing of the median at the Foxhunter was done). The limit was totally inappropriate (the road had, after all, originally opened with as NSL (60mph speed limit)) and simply annoyed people. When they did finally lift the RWSLO they slapped a permanent 80 km/h limit when most people believed the original 100 km/h limit would be restored.

Meanwhile there was the most cynically positioned GATSO in the country - opposite the Spa Hotel right where the speed limit dropped suddenly by 40 km/h (from 120 km/h -> 80 km/h). The amount of people who suddenly broke right before it to avoid getting caught, I am surprised there were not more accidents. That GATSO has only just been removed with the roadworks.

None of which is to justify people breaking the law - which they shouldn't be - but there should be some amount of common sense...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

It was a little before the Newcastle underpass. So I'm not sure what that counts as? They had moved some cones on the left there and parked two white vans, one at a slight angle to the road, back facing the traffic.

The Leixlip by-pass is listed on the Garda website as one of the potential spots for the new Gatsos. I'm pretty certain that's what it was. High roof transit with a fan thingy.

It was dark too but I think they have infrared so I'd say I'm done. Feeling a bit hard done by. The road was quiet and I wasn't much over the 60k :(

Although to be fair, there have been a lot of accidents along there lately, particulary around The Spa.

Sunshimmer if these vans where on the city bound side of road your ok, they are work vechiles, they are there everyday and the big one is an iveco daily that is kitted out for sleeping in, some polish guys working there use it. It has a airconditioning hatch on the roof and a small t.v antenna. But just to be sure take it handier in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

According to RTE news the courts today threw out hundredss of speeding trials due to the failures of Fingal, DCC and SDCC to publish the relevant byelaws in Iris Oifigiuil (sp?) which is required by law for the bye laws to be enforcable. The DPP asked for an adjiurnment but the judge disagreed and struck them all out. People who were found guilty on the relevant stretches of road will be due a refund of fines paid and points removed from their licences etc.

link http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1119/roads.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Advertisement
Advertisement