Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

FM signal

Options
  • 18-11-2008 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

This is more directed at people who live (and drive) in rural areas.

Anyone else notice that FM signals can be much better (or worse) depending on the actual car radio?

I've had 3 radios in my car over the last month, the one i have now has gps, bluetooth, ipod, dvd etc cost a good deal but the FM signal is rubbish. The other one is a sony radio, few years old, the signal quality is better, but not great. Then i have a goodmans (argos) radio, worth about a fiver, but the FM reception is excellent.

I just figured at this stage, with FM being around for donkeys years, the aerial would be the factor that dictates how good an FM signal is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

op i noticed this too. I recently removed my stock radio and replaced with a brand name. The reception improved greatly and also clarity.
    I find some things that have loads of features like one radio you mentioned seem to fair out poorly on FM radio's as they expect you to spend more time using other features.

An example i guess is recently i had to use a basic handset (mobile) while my other was in repair. The basic handset held better reception in my house (which is in a bad signal area) compared to my feature packed phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

congo_90 wrote: »
    I find some things that have loads of features like one radio you mentioned seem to fair out poorly on FM radio's as they expect you to spend more time using other features.

Good point, hadn't considered that. I've bought boosters and a new aerial and none are any better, so i think i'll try and get a refund for my nice radio. Balls, was liking all the gadgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It can also depened on the aerial. I have an Audi which has no visible aerial and the reception is belting.

I had a Passat with an aerial and in Limerick can pick up corks red fm.

I then had a laguna without a visible aerial. I believe the reception was drawn in through something related to the rear window but it was useless and was factory original. I could barely get 2fm or today fm and local radio was difficult at times. I sent it in during the 12 months warranty and Renault said there was nothing wrong. Just another issue with renault so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I drive regularly from Kilkenny to Limerick and back and recently installed in a new radio in my car.

On the Kilkenny - Limerick trip I lose 2fm from Cashel to just outside Limerick.

On the Limerick - Kilkenny trip I lose 2fm from Tipperary to Urlingford.

I mention 2fm as it's the only station I listen to but in Tipperary town I lose all reception. I can't get any station at all but upon leaving I can get a broken signal for RedFM, Spin Southwest, Today FM, and Beat in Waterford. Once the reception goes though, I flick to a CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I had a Toyota with a factory fit upgraded Sony stereo and it was shyte. Very poor reception. Not a great radio anyway, apart from asthetics. The Bose one in the Mazda is excellent however.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Anyone else notice that RDS traffic alerts haven't worked in Ireland for years? I was driving in the UK recently and was pretty shocked when the music went off and a traffic alert at a higher volume was picked up by the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Kenwood radios are excellent, I replaced a Sony CD player out of my car with one and am now able to get a good few extra Dublin, imdlands and south east channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Anyone else notice that RDS traffic alerts haven't worked in Ireland for years? I was driving in the UK recently and was pretty shocked when the music went off and a traffic alert at a higher volume was picked up by the radio.

Ya, pure sham. Typical RTE. "we have a good serivce here, lets get rid of it".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, it's pathetic. They (RTE) can't even organise themselves to a) keep the RDS time signal synchronized to any kind of reference time (it drifts like crazy), and b) it always seems to take 2 weeks or so before they realise the clocks have gone forward / back and (presumably) set it right again by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I've got them a couple of times from Limerick Live 95FM. I'm not sure if I have to have it on that station for it to work or what though, because it has only happened twice in two years and I leave TA on most the time.

I get a great reception with the crappy Ford stereo in my '98 Fiesta - I can usually pick up Radio Kerry, Clare FM and some of the Cork stations in Limerick city. One evening I was messing around with medium wave and was able to get BBC Radio Ulster, BBC Radio Scotland, Manx Radio and a lot of foreign stuff quite clearly... until I started the engine, then it was all alternator noise :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I recently changed the radio in my 98 avensis. The factory model would turn on and off by itself and jump to 98fm when you hit the volume button sometimes....a tad annoying. The car is ancient so I just wanted *anything* for noise and bought a €80 BEAT-100 job off ebay. It was useless, couldnt get anything to tune in properly (in Dublin city)

Sent it back and bought a cheapo argos one for €70. Has USB and SDCard and tunes in far more than the original ever did.

Just goes to show....something I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

Ive noticed this also, ive a rip speed dvd player radio in my car and unless im driving in the city center the signal is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I changed my aerial from a bee sting to a sharkfin. Its perfect in urban areas and good to bad in rural areas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Yup i replaced the factory standard radio/cd in my car for a sony and its rubbish! seriously considering putting the old one back in!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

good to know its not just me then, cant believe you can spend so much on a radio that does so much, but they feck up the simple part.

Advertisement