Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who fancy's teaching me how to play online cash games?

Options
  • 18-11-2008 6:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Who fancy's teaching me how to play online NL cash games?

The truth is I am brutal at this game.

I only play online STT's, MTT'S, a bit of live cash and the very rare live tournament.

Poker tracker is something I have never used and wouldn't know where to start. I presume this is useful if not essential for online cash.

Its a bit embarrassing really but I have never tried to improve my online cash game, the truth is I never play it anymore and have not done so properly for over a year.

Is it easy to be a winning player playing online cash? I don't think so personally but maybe it is!

I think I'm an ok player, love playing the game and always willing and wanting to improve but don't play cards as much as I used to as I cant seem to find the time.

Nevertheless I still play a bit and maybe some winning players can PM me with some useful info.

It would be much appreciated, cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

pm Twinksno1flan - he's very helpful!

^^^ That's a joke, please don't pm him.
    I only play online STT's, MTT'S, a bit of live cash and the very rare live tournament.

Are you good a SNGs & MTTS and bad at cash?
    Poker tracker is something I have never used and wouldn't know where to start. I presume this is useful if not essential for online cash.

I'd say it's useful, maybe the higher the stakes the more benifit you'd get from it. Not essential.
    Is it easy to be a winning player playing online cash? I don't think so personally but maybe it is!

No you're right, it's not. But it is possible.
    I think I'm an ok player, love playing the game and always willing and wanting to improve but don't play cards as much as I used to as I cant seem to find the time.

Good attitude, it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

gl to you, but is Poker Tracker is essential is you are in a anyway serious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

http://www.pokerswat.com/

Training videos are what you need, they are the new having talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I disagree, PT/Holdem manager are Completely essential. Especially if you aren't a winning player already, it can help you plug so many leaks and turn that around as well as the Hud benefits. Get HEM if you want to have a real shot at online cash, without a shadow of a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

HEM is vital. You can assume most guys you will be playing against have it so you are simply giving them an edge by not getting it.

Is the cousin not forthcoming with help????!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Flipz4Rollz

All the video training sites are v.good for getting you started

HM is essential IMO if you're multi-tabling and its not that costly

Also looking in the 2plus2 small stakes NL is very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

hotspur wrote: »
    http://www.pokerswat.com/

Training videos are what you need, they are the new having talent.

If people on the golf forum were watching golf instructional DVDs, would you start saying golf instructional DVDs were the new having talent?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

OP, what you are looking for is called "coaching". I have been lead to believe you can acquire it on the open market in the form of a commercial transaction whereby you (the "student") pays a second party (the "coach") some money (€/$/£) in return for aforementioned "coaching".

• Advertisement

I really don't think PT or HM are essential. It's not impossible to win without them.

No doubt they are valuable tools and beneficial to ones game, I just think essential is a bit too strong a word. Am I just being pedantic?

As stated above they are relatively cheap & would be a good investment if taking this serious and trying move up through the levels.

1-tabling 20nl => I wouldn't bother
    4-tabling 100nl+ => No brainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Even one tabling 20nl I'd buy HEM. Not so much for the HUD in that case, but for being able to analyse your own game and plug your own leaks. Afterall if anything at 20nl it's the best time to do that before you develop habbits and before you're playing high enough for the leaks to cost alot of money

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

If you don't wanna download PT/HEM, play on Cake poker. They're not allowed there, so you're on a level playing field to everyone else.

I 8 table .5/1 there. EZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm surprised there's even 8 tables going on cake! I found it hard to get 4 $50NL tables running at once while I was there.
    I really don't think PT or HM are essential. It's not impossible to win without them.

True, it's not impossible to win without them, but at the same time you want to try and maximise your edge. By passing on a nominal initial investment, you are pretty much just pissing value away!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Hosef

AdMMM wrote: »
    I'm surprised there's even 8 tables going on cake! I found it hard to get 4 $50NL tables running at once while I was there.

Used to get 4 tables of 100NL running fairly easily a few months back.
    True, you don't have the same amount of choice, but the standard is poor enough that game selection isn't as big a priority as on iPoker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Tight Ted wrote: »
    I 8 table .5/1 there. EZ.

smells.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Hud is probably very necessary for grinding on lots of tables. At 2/4 I prefer to play less tables without a hud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Kamaldihnio

I've been in bed all day as I am working nights this week so I am only getting back now.

The game I have a problem with is online cash, I suppose I could improve on live tournaments but the fact I've only ever played around 3 would prob have something to do with that. I'm definitely not saying I am brilliant at MTT'S, STT's or live cash but I feel I can hold my own. Online cash always ends in tears, 80% of the time anyway.

To answer your question Tommy Gunne, No! I teach him how to play Tiger Woods golf on the PS3 and that's the only teaching going on between us. If he is reading this he is brooooootal and pays for my lunch every week with his tenners and scores. He doesn't play poker anymore or so he says anyway.

Lads I don't know what HUD is, HM is holdem manager I presume and HEM is HM?

Was wondering what software do I need? Surely not 3 different kinds or do I? Because I honestly don't know. How much is this software?

Is there a special strategy people use for online cash games? This is prob my most important question.

Any books out there that are good and specifically teach you about online cash?

Nobody has pm'd me anyway but I still appreciate the feedback.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I notice very few videos have HUDs in them, maybe they don't want to be shown to support a particular product or something, but its weird since the sites have discount agreements.

The full HEM is $80, or $50 for small stakes (you can upgrade later).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Hosef

Lads I don't know what HUD is, HM is holdem manager I presume and HEM is HM?

Was wondering what software do I need? Surely not 3 different kinds or do I? Because I honestly don't know. How much is this software?

HUD = Heads Up Display
    Programs like Poker Tracker (PT) and Hold'em Manager (HM / HEM) store all your hand history files in a database on your PC.
    The HUD overlays statistics from this database onto the table you are playing on for the other players in the hand.

This is where stats like 24/17/3 that are referred to in the theory forum come from. They are used to give an insight into other players tendencies.

Both Pt and HM have built in HUDs, so you do not need to purchase separately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

Kamaldihnio,

you've received replies letting you know all you need to become a competent poker player. Why look for pm's? when you get the time, spend it looking at forums, posting hand histories and learning from the replies and reading some strategy articles. Its the same as with most things, there is no quick fix. If you work on it, then there are benefits to be had from it. Try using whichever of the tools described to you that suits you best. Good luck

..... I'm definitely not saying I am brilliant at MTT'S, STT's or live cash but I feel I can hold my own. Online cash always ends in tears, 80% of the time anyway.....

......Is there a special strategy people use for online cash games? This is prob my most important question.........

I wouldn't really say there's a special strategy for cash, where you can just click your fingers & start winning regularly. It takes time & effort.

There are a few differences between tournaments & cash. Some people find cash boring and more of a grind. It can get repetitive. Obviously the blinds don't increase, so you don't usually end up in push or fold situations as often. Average stacks are ~100BB, therefore more play happens post flop and so more skill is required.

Two things I found that I needed when moving to cash, maybe you're the same, was more patience & better tilt control. If I suffered a badbeat in a MTT and got knocked out I could just stop playing and chill. It's like meh, I just lost $20 or whatever and got a couple of hours play for it. In cash games, even playing 20nl, you can lose the same amount in one hand. Just an example, I have no idea what level you're playing at.

Every time you lose a big pot, it can affect you (especially if you're not rolled) and then you top up and keep playing while tilted. So it's important you play at a level you're rolled for, so any beats don't affect you as much.

If you suffer from boredom try and find something to alleviate it. I find listening to music helps. For improving your play read, watch videos and post hands or specific questions in the theory section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mits2006

Use your money setting up a cardrunners or pokerswat account.Hundreds of videos which should help u a lot:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Join cardrunners imo. Study brystmar's SSNL series, aswell as the other vids on micro stakes. Adhere to the 6-max hand chart. Purchase poker tracker or HEM, and get grinding at the micro limits. If you study the game, apply good bankroll management, and are motivated, you should move up over time. Coaching sites are definitely the way to go and I don't think that personal coaching is required to learn to beat micro-small stakes. It is more for players who are progressing on to the mid stakes games. I have not had the pleasure of checking out pokerswat yet but I am sure this is a fine coaching site also.
    Good Luck!

Interesting replies.

What's better poker tracker or holdem manager?

I would like to start playing 100NL.

What kind of bankroll should I have to play this?

How many tables would you recommend to be playing at once?

Would you say play 6 tables and only play strong hands? Or would you play 2 tables and from time to time play any 2 cards in position and try and outplay your opponent? Which way of playing is more profitable for online cash? What is the best strategy to use when you do not know your opponent and cant get reads from them?

For example if I go to a card club and play live I generally know after an hour or two who is good and bad and who I am going to make my money off, I have not been to any live game without players like this in my life and have been playing for years. But online, you rarely find these players as most people are serious about their poker. Is this not a fair statement? I know you do find maniacs and its great when it happens, you just wait to get a hand against them but this is not always the case.

How are you making your money when you play 6 players who know how to play the game, all are on poker forums and understand the concept of position, outs and know the strength of their hands pre and post flop? Are you just relying on good cards? If you get good cards its very rare you are getting paid unless you get AA against KK or QQ (just an example) but this can also happen to you, which it does I am sure, so where are we making money?

I genuinely thought there was a strategy to online cash games which is different to live cash games. Maybe I was wrong.

One person pm'd me and said he would show me the ropes, the worrying thing is he only has 20 odd posts but I will take a chance and listen to him. Without sounding ungrateful or a ge*bag, was kinda hoping some recognised boards players I hear about beating 100nl and 200nl to pm me and tell me their strategy. Probably a bit too much info to ask for.

Eitherway PM's are not essential, you are right, I need to put my own work into it. I do appreciate them though.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

A couple of years ago trolls were so amateurish and only wrote short posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

recognised boards players I hear about beating 100nl and 200nl and could programme bots to beat it, to pm me and tell me their strategy. Probably a bit too much info to ask for.

Sorry, what?

AdMMM wrote: »
    Sorry, what?

Is this not the case? Maybe I got that wrong too. Honestly looking for advice rather than one liner sorry whats? If I said something which isnt correct, fair enough, these are things I assumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

I assume you have $3000 bankroll if you are going to be playing 100NL???

• Advertisement

DeadMoney wrote: »
    I assume you have $3000 bankroll if you are going to be playing 100NL???

Yeah I could swing that. Why what do you reccomend? 50NL and a 1500$ bankroll?

Advertisement