Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get Comics online?

Options
  • 18-11-2008 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Where the best place to buy comics online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Depends what you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

i would buy a lot of graphic novels Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, Alan grant, Neil Gaiman etc

But is it cheaper to buy from amazon, books direct or ebay or to get them from the US? Where are good comics Stores from the US?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The resources thread has a couple of links in the first page that may be of use to you. This thread from a few months back may also be of use.

TBH buying direct from the US will mean you either wait ages for cheap delivery or pay through the nose for faster delivery, effectively negating any advantage you get on the price. (Though as ztoical has mentioned in the past, if you can get the seller to send them using Media Mail you might be able to get a significant reduction on the postage costs...)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

i've used http://www.bookdepository.co.uk a few times recently, it's cheaper than amazon and the shipping is free. fyi though is that it's not tracked shipping, the stuff is put in regular packages and airmailed so you've got no definite date of arrival from leaving the uk and arriving here.

i bought my friend sentences: the life of mf grimm for his birthday and it was shipped in less than a week and the hardback was shrink-wrapped, sooo i reckon i'll use them from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I also recommend the book depository. It's a great sight and you'll save a few euro. I've bought loads of books and a few graphic novels off them. Delivery has always been lightening quick unless it was stipulated that it might take a few days to ship. Great selection, great value.

• Advertisement

Is it cheaper to buy comics online? I'm looking for a good few Batman or Superman comics for a Christmas present. We have The Gathering here in Limerick but they're a little expensive and it wouldn't matter if the comics weren't new. I know nothing about them I have to admit. Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Looking for the Ultimate Sandman collection but can only find it in http://www.play.com

This,for example: http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/3443760/Absolute-Sandman/Product.html?cur=258

But Im wondering if anyone knows some better sites to get them from.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sysbase

I find most of my comics on Amazon or Ebay but would like to find a better spot that would cool...There's gotta be a better place then those... I dunnobanghead.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

26pigs is good,mainly for british comics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 halite

I stayed away from TFAW because I always thought that they were too expensive, especially when you take into account the postage.

the best online store I have come accross is http://www.milehighcomics.com/, they are based in Colorado but the postage is very reasonable (€12 up to 10lb in weight). I have bought hundreds of comics there, they have a hugh stock (they estimate 8m comics) and an easy inventory system that you can search. They also grade all the comics so you know what condition they are in. They also run good discount offers through their email newsletter, and with the discount I spend on average about 1.50 - 2 euro on each comic.

Fantastic site for filling the gaps in your collection.

Merged & edited by Fysh:

Please don't post the same comment to more than one thread, particularly not if the second thread has been inactive for several months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

I use mycomicshop.com and midtowncomics.com on a fairly regular basis and have found both to be good. Midtown Comics have a nice set up where if you buy 10 comics or less they stick them into an envelope and do a flat posting charge. Works out quite cheap.

Given the enormous price differential in comics prices between the US and here (a $3.99 comic costs €6.75 in the Forbidden Planet at the moment) I'm thinking about doing all my subscriptions online and living with the 10 day time differential.

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spikegomez

I think mycomicshop.com and midtowncomics.com is better...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

halite wrote: »
    I stayed away from TFAW because I always thought that they were too expensive, especially when you take into account the postage.

the best online store I have come accross is http://www.milehighcomics.com/, they are based in Colorado but the postage is very reasonable (€12 up to 10lb in weight). I have bought hundreds of comics there, they have a hugh stock (they estimate 8m comics) and an easy inventory system that you can search. They also grade all the comics so you know what condition they are in. They also run good discount offers through their email newsletter, and with the discount I spend on average about 1.50 - 2 euro on each comic.

Fantastic site for filling the gaps in your collection.

Merged & edited by Fysh:

Please don't post the same comment to more than one thread, particularly not if the second thread has been inactive for several months.

I got some 70's and 80's era Jack Kirby comics from Mile High recently and they were fairly reasonable....although the boxed did get dinged a fair bit in postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 thepotrovk

You can get any comics you want by paying for them like a good little child of unspecified gender.

Fysh Sez: As per the charter, no discussion of where to get pirate comics thank you. I don't care if you do it, but it's against the law so we won't be talking about how you or anyone else does it on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Cambo Dustman

Bob Z wrote: »
    Where the best place to buy comics online?

Not sure about online but my brother and me have been getting our comics sent to our house in Cambridge for years.

1950-user_icon.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TickingOrange

I started buying from mid-town comics at Christmas. On an order of 12 comics it cost about 35 euros (thats including popstage with free bags and boards) the same comics would have cost about 60 euros in Dublin. As for the wait if you order before the Wednesday (when comics are released in the States) you will generally have them by the Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mezzomix

my only fear, ordering from the U.S. are additional custom fees.

i plan to subscribe to several dc, marvel and dark horse comics plus the usual backcatalog stuff

do you have any experience how many comics/which amount of the delivery maes it through customs w/o a hitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 stanlee

What are the custom fees like?

Advertisement