Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What are his rights?

Options
  • 18-11-2008 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

My boyfriend's timing belt snapped on his 99 punto about a month ago (in the middle of nowhere of course). So he then got it towed to the nearest garage and did not have the chance to shop around as he was miles from home and it would have been expensive to tow it back. So the guy recommends a new engine. This "engine" cost him 600quid. Last night his car wouldn't start and he rang me and said there were tears in the timing belt and it looked like it was going to snap. What are his rights in relation to the garage? What's a cheap option of solving this as he's a student in his final year so part time work is not an option and he needs the car as he has to drive 1 hour to college.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

did he take the cover off to see the timing belt ?? or was it the auxiliary belts he was seeing ?? ie for alternator/ steering pump

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Nic'name

I don't have a clue, I'll tel him to post on this thread when he gets up and he can tell you exactly what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What engine was in it? A timing belt snap on the default Punto engine - a 1.2 8v petrol - should never require a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

These are almost certainly aux belts but any decent garage would have replaced the timing belt in the process of the engine change. It seems your BF is in the process of finding out the value of regular maintenance...

Advertisement