Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower in freestanding bath help!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

That shower hose should fit an electric shower - I'm no plumber- but I assume shower hose are standard.

Maybe bring the shower hose with you to ensure it fits a showroom tap and then it will fit vice versa!

Shower curtains tend to stick to the body, when wet! Can be abit of a struggle.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭JuJuBean

RKQ wrote: »
    That shower hose should fit an electric shower - I'm no plumber- but I assume shower hose are standard.

Maybe bring the shower hose with you to ensure it fits a showroom tap and then it will fit vice versa!

Shower curtains tend to stick to the body, when wet! Can be abit of a struggle.:)

Cheers for your reply. I am not sure what you mean, I haven't bought the shower head/ extending arm yet, or the electric shower unit. I was hoping it would work.
    Regards the clinging shower curtain - I am well aware of this and to try and avoid it I've picked out a fairly big shower curtain rail, hopefully it will work - Have a look:
    http://www.byretech.com/acatalog/shower-curtain-rails.html#a24. I've also seen these sort of suction clips on ebay that you can use to stick the curtain to the bath while you are showering. A big effort just to have a nice bath but it will really work well in our house, it’s a Victorian cottage so I am trying to keep the theme. The builders main concern is that the shower will be over the bath and the bath will not be sealed/ tiled around the wall, so I am thinking this long shower rail will give maximum coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Maybe a helpful Sales assistant will let you try out the shower head on an electric shower, in the store! Then you can buy their shower head and their electric shower unit!

Is there no where you could fit a proper shower unit? 900 x 900mm or 800 x 800mm. Well worth the extra comfort, plus no curtain over your attractive free-standing bath!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

Electric showers have the outlet connection pointing downwards. So you'll have to fit an elbow to turn the hose horizontal, then a small piece of pipe to run it off to one side (to clear the edge of the power shower) , then another elbow to turn the pipe vertically upwards. Might look a bit naff, but you won't have any problems getting pipe fittings, though you might want them in stainless or chrome to match the shower head, and this might be a problem.

One word of caution, the capacity of the shower head needs to match the output of the shower itself. If the shower head is too small (capacity wise) then it will restrict the flow, you'll have to run around the shower to get wet, and the temperature of the water will tend to be on the high side. It's more likely that the capacity of the shower head will be too big, and you won't get sufficient 'back pressure' to get a nice spray of water. This is the problem matching a shower head to a shower that are not originally designed to go together. It may work, but don't be surprised if it doesn't.

Also, the higher you put the shower head the lower the outlet pressure will be. It's amazing how a few inches in height affects the water pressure.

If possible try to confirm the output capacity of the shower (in litres/min) with the capacity of the shower head. Or get the head, and before you go to the hassle of installing it, connect it to the shower with a flexi hose and see if you can get a nice flow (at the required height).

Advertisement