Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to Return?

Options
  • 18-11-2008 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi

I'am seriously thinking about going back to college for 4 years, only thing is I already have a degree of the same level so I cannot avail of any grants, free fees etc what I would like to know is if it is possible or am I just dreaming.

Providing they don't increase (which they will) tuition fees will be €2319/yr, Reg fees will be €1500/yr, Rent is likely to be around €3800/yr and the cost of living is estimated at between €10000 and €12000/yr.

I would obviously work part time incl full time over the summer but I'm on my own basically no help from family. I own a car at the moment and am willing to sell that but would only get around €3000-€4000 for it. I have €15000 in savings incl €2000 in the credit union. So is it possible?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 soccerchick

Go for it..I'm all for doing anything that is positive and will change your life for the better!

I am in 2nd year of a health science degree course. I have a degree and post grad done already with 8 years work experience behind so I pay full fees of 7,500 a year which are going up to 8k next year thanks to the friggin budget! I had a bit of money saved, a similar amount to you. I work a part time job, 3 days a week and I worked 2 jobs last summer so that I managed to save half my fees this year and go on holidays for a week. Now, I don't get to go out as much as I used to and I don't buy clothes except at Xmas when my parents will give me money or my bf. I don't get any help from anyone, but Bank of Ireland offer an interest free loan which you can pay back with 9mths. That could be just for certain degree courses but check with the different banks to see what they offer.

It has been one of the best decisions I ever made but it is tough at times especially as its coming up to exam time!! Make sure you are sure of what you want to do and I got some work experience loads of advice about the course I am doing. Also www.daycourses.com the forum there is excellent.
    Best of luck and you will be well able to manage if you are careful with money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 soccerchick

Sorry I forgot to say that I also pay rent and run a car which I only kept as I need it for the part time job I do but I cycle every where during the week so save petrol money...I sound like a tight wad now!

Advertisement