Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware Garmin GPS

Options
  • 18-11-2008 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Just to let you all know that I purchased a new Garmin 760 in CURRYS and I have found that the maps on it are not up to date. I went into the web to find that the GPS that I bought in August needs an update that will cost €79.99!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

What mapping version do you have at the moment ? You should be able to get the current maps for free, 2008 I think it is but I don't have my unit at hand to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Register the unit on the Garmin website, tell them that you bought it last week and they'll give you the update to the 2009 maps for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

This happened to me too.

I use a TomTom now, and prefer it - though the maps aren't that up-to-date on any of the brands of GPS.

TomTom's maps don't have the roads in shopping centres such as Liffey Valley, because "the deal is that the local council should notify us and they haven't bothered" (obviously they don't know about Google Earth), and they're a bit haphazard with one-way systems in the cities.

Still a lot better than th'oul compass, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

coylemj wrote: »
    Register the unit on the Garmin website, tell them that you bought it last week and they'll give you the update to the 2009 maps for free.

Will this work if I didn't buy directly from Garmin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kielym

Thanks All.
    I did register my Garmin 760, I have the 2008 map (doesn't recognise lights where roundabouts were and has no idea of the Athlone bypass) but when I went to download my maps (thinking as one of you has said, that I had free downloads for the year), I was asked to purchase the 2009 map (available now) for €79.99.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

luckat wrote: »
    TomTom's maps don't have the roads in shopping centres such as Liffey Valley, because "the deal is that the local council should notify us and they haven't bothered" (obviously they don't know about Google Earth), and they're a bit haphazard with one-way systems in the cities.

Still a lot better than th'oul compass, though.
    So your idea is for the GPS company to sit around using Google map to identify any new roads for all of Europe for their mapping program? You don't see a SLIGHT problem with that idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Nody wrote: »
    So your idea is for the GPS company to sit around using Google map to identify any new roads for all of Europe for their mapping program? You don't see a SLIGHT problem with that idea?

Not really. I'm sure Google would be open to a licensing deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I just bought a garmin and was advised that once I register it then I will be able to upgrade the maps free of charge.....

Did you try to contact garmin in any way? or were you just hoping they would see your thread here and contact you?

also how is this to do with Rip-off ireland... The only price I can see on the UK site is £79.99 so €79 is a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

kielym wrote: »
    Thanks All.
    I did register my Garmin 760, I have the 2008 map (doesn't recognise lights where roundabouts were and has no idea of the Athlone bypass) but when I went to download my maps (thinking as one of you has said, that I had free downloads for the year), I was asked to purchase the 2009 map (available now) for €79.99.

I have two major problems with your submission, first the Athlone bypass has been in the Garmin maps for several versions. I have Mapsource V7 maps on my laptop and the Athlone bypass is clearly visible, the 2008 maps are effectively V10 as what Garmin call the '2008' version followed on from V9.

Secondly it has already been pointed out to you that as you have just purchased the unit, as a newly registered unit it will qualify for a free upgrade to the 2009 maps. Garmin recognise that in order for retailers to shift older stock when new maps come out it's necessary to give the punter the new maps for free, otherwise the retailers would have to return all the older units in exchange for ones with the new maps which would cost Garmin plenty.

You should have no problem getting a free upgrade, lots of people submitting to the GPS forum have done it so rather than create a thread with the accusatory title, why don't you go over to the GPS forum and simply ask the question instead of making unfounded allegations as your first contribution to any thread on boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Telling Garmin that 'you bought the unit last week' doesnt work anymore .

The unit records the time when it takes its first fix from satellite and you have to connect unit to computer to register.

Look over on GPS forum and it is all explained.

Maybe OP means new M6 rather than Athlone bypass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

kielym wrote: »
    Thanks All.

The Athlone bypass was opened in 1992/3, the Garmin should have it on it

buzzard wrote: »
    The Athlone bypass was opened in 1992/3, the Garmin should have it on it

I still think OP means the new section of the M6 rather than the Athlone bypass.The bypass is on my v9 maps ( released 2006).

The cutoff date for being able to get the new maps free of charge is some time in August (early) .Can anybody confirm whether the new M6 Kinnegad /Athlone is on the 2009 maps?

neacy69 wrote: »
    I just bought a garmin and was advised that once I register it then I will be able to upgrade the maps free of charge.....

Did you try to contact garmin in any way? or were you just hoping they would see your thread here and contact you?

also how is this to do with Rip-off ireland... The only price I can see on the UK site is £79.99 so €79 is a bargain!

Not sure if you understand what 'rip-off' means but when I purchase goods in a store in Ireland and I find that they are out of date and require immediate update (without having been told by the vendor) then I consider this to be a rip off which takes place in Ireland - thus, 'Rip Off Ireland'!

coylemj wrote: »
    I have two major problems with your submission, first the Athlone bypass has been in the Garmin maps for several versions. I have Mapsource V7 maps on my laptop and the Athlone bypass is clearly visible, the 2008 maps are effectively V10 as what Garmin call the '2008' version followed on from V9.

Secondly it has already been pointed out to you that as you have just purchased the unit, as a newly registered unit it will qualify for a free upgrade to the 2009 maps. Garmin recognise that in order for retailers to shift older stock when new maps come out it's necessary to give the punter the new maps for free, otherwise the retailers would have to return all the older units in exchange for ones with the new maps which would cost Garmin plenty.

You should have no problem getting a free upgrade, lots of people submitting to the GPS forum have done it so rather than create a thread with the accusatory title, why don't you go over to the GPS forum and simply ask the question instead of making unfounded allegations as your first contribution to any thread on boards.ie?

Not sure if you're a rep but when I purchase a product I expect to be told, at the time of purchase, that it needs updating. Why don't the retailers keep it updated if they are happy to retain and sell older stock? I don't expect to purchase new and get second hand/inaccurate information.
    With regard to the Athlone bypass - I take your point, I should have said the M4 where my car was depicted as driving on fields for a considerable length of time!
    With regard to the foundations for my script - it is called experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

You bought it in Curry's...the staff probably don't even know what GPS stands for let alone any intricacies of updated maps and such. It's really up to the buyer to be aware of any issues surrounding a product they're about to buy and in this day and age there are loads of resources availablto anyone with a web connection to research this before they buy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

all these consumer "sat nav" units are a huge rip off with proprietary maps and software. but wait a few years and it should all be free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Got my Garmin nuvi 320 in 2007.

When I registered the unit on my computer I qualified for free upgrade to 2008 maps. Not sure how I did it at the time. They actually sent me out a new disc and I got the code by registering. There is a cut-off date from time of first use.

Garmin uses Navteq maps which in my experience are the best for Ireland.

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

I got a Nuvi 760 too last week. Yes, it was loaded with the 2008 maps but I didn't expect the '09 version on it anyway. Hooked it straight up to the PC and got it updated to '09 straight away and get this, free of charge! The op should surely have realised that was the case. I mean, if you buy a brand new laptop tomorrow for example, do you seriously think it would have every possible Microsoft update or patch already installed? No software 'off the shelf' can be expected to be fully up to date, and I've yet to come across anythat was. Methinks your just being 'finnickey!!!!

Oh and the M6 motorway isn't on this version yet, time to call the lawyers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

How much is the 760 in brick and mortar shops at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Niall0 wrote: »
    How much is the 760 in brick and mortar shops at the moment?

Sorry, won mine in a comp, but Bradshaws Newbridge have them at 330 yoyos

• Advertisement

Snaggerman wrote: »
    I got a Nuvi 760 too last week. Yes, it was loaded with the 2008 maps but I didn't expect the '09 version on it anyway. Hooked it straight up to the PC and got it updated to '09 straight away and get this, free of charge! The op should surely have realised that was the case. I mean, if you buy a brand new laptop tomorrow for example, do you seriously think it would have every possible Microsoft update or patch already installed? No software 'off the shelf' can be expected to be fully up to date, and I've yet to come across anythat was. Methinks your just being 'finnickey!!!!

Oh and the M6 motorway isn't on this version yet, time to call the lawyers

You haven't read my message properly - I was not offered a free update!!! When I purchased the laptop (as I did) then I expected to be able to get the updates and I did! There is nothing finnickey about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

I dont know why you actually think you should get free update to 2009 maps for a GPS you bought in August. I do think there is a cut-off date. Like say a new version of the maps comes out a month or two after you buy, you would get them free.

You state it 'needs' an update. Garmins Navateq maps have every little back road in Ireland installed for yer. The only difference fro 2008 to 2009 maps would be a few new motorways and re-alignment of roundabouts etc. The Dundalk part of the M1 would not be on the old version (hardly a problem).

Try using some of the Tele atlas maps that come with inbuilt Sat Navs in new cars and you will see how good your garmin is.

The actual software/firmware updates are free forever. The new maps are what you have to pay for.

Boo

Boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Givagivagiva Gah-Min!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭ALFIET

Ok so i want to buy my hubbie one for his birthday in January so which version and make should i look at without breaking the bank or being caught by the issues already raised in this thread nor relying on the oul compass!

ALFIET wrote: »
    Ok so i want to buy my hubbie one for his birthday in January so which version and make should i look at without breaking the bank or being caught by the issues already raised in this thread nor relying on the oul compass!

Look in here all the info you need http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=889

And some people who know what they are talking about

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Garmin GPS units are pretty good, but we are being absolutely fleeced here on price.

I got one recently from a UK based co. Brand new, updated maps and less then half the price of that being charged in good old Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

mysatnav.ie

check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Hooked it straight up to the PC

What cable would I need to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Snaggerman wrote: »
    I mean, if you buy a brand new laptop tomorrow for example, do you seriously think it would have every possible Microsoft update or patch already installed? No software 'off the shelf' can be expected to be fully up to date, and I've yet to come across anythat was.

Have you ever worked in Tech Support? You don't believe the amount of people that buy stock from the shelf and expect it up-to-date with the latest firmware versions! I always used to ask them to explain me how that Voodoo should work...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

okidoki987 wrote: »
    What cable would I need to do that?

There should have been a usb cable in the box, along with a Garmin CD with the relevant program to install on your pc.

Advertisement