Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closure of Breast Cancer Services

Options
  • 18-11-2008 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to make people aware that Tallaght Hospital is closing its Breast Cancer Clinic.

Anyone who has had any dealings with this clinic will know that it is a vital service. Tallaght hospital deals with 1400 new cancer cases each year, aswell as 12,000 day cases and 7,000 out patients.

My mother had breast cancer and had a masectomy, chemotherapy and radiotherapy, luckily enough for her she has had the all clear 2 years now, but as a precautionary measure she visits the Breast Clinic every three months for blood work and check ups aswell as every 6 months for mamograms. The women that work in the clinic give a service that's second to none.

Patients will now have to move to James's hospital or the Mater Hospital where services are already stretched to breaking point with waiting lists as long as your arm. Anyone who has been affected by cancer knows that time is a crucial factor in the early detection and treatment. Three months could mean the difference between surviving and it being terminal.

I've set up a petition to give to Mary Harney can you please take the time to sign your name to it. It is a vital service that people simply can't afford to lose.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/breastclinictallaght/

Thanks a million! It just makes me really angry that yet another service is going to be closed.

Advertisement