Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medion GoPal E3230 in Aldi - Some questions

Options
  • 18-11-2008 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have some quick questiosn about the Medion GoPal E3230 in Aldi this Thursday.

My parents are looking for a SatNav and have asked me about this model.

I have a a Garmin and find it OK, but I really don't like the fact you have to enter a full address in a specific format. I have seen the Route 66 software and I much prefer the way you can just enter a partial address and it will give you all possible matches for that address (maybe you can do this with Garmin, but I can't figure out how to do it).

Anyhow, 3 questions :
    (1) Is the Medion any good ? I see it has NavTeq maps, so I presume they are pretty good.
    (2) Is the GoPal software easy to use as it will be my parents who will be using it and they are not very tech-savvy ?
    (3) Given the €130 price - is there something else I should be looking at in a bricks and mortar shop (maybe a TomTom in Halfords) ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

At that price I would buy a Garmin 200. The risk with Aldi/Lidl models is that you may never be able to upgrade the maps, I know they're Navteq but the maps need to be massaged to go into each manufacturers units so even if Navteq are around for the next 100 years, you could be left high and dry and unable to upgrade the maps on this unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I think a Garminis out, as I showed mine to my parents and they couldn't get their head around they stupid way you are forced to enter an address.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

deadl0ck wrote: »

Check in your local Tescos, they had the TomTom One at €79 for the UK & Irl model and €99 for the full European model, pretty sure someone on Boards mentioned getting on in the new store in Maynooth last week.

Oh and map updates for the Medion are available from medionshop.co.uk or cheaper on the German Medion website if you can speak the lingo (or use google translate) No reason to believe that Medion will disappear before Garmin....

invest4deepvalue.com

Excellent !
    I'll take a look there also !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 RYR154

I just picked up on of the Aldi SatNav's this morning for the wife. A great little device. Lots in the box.

If you can still get one you should.

I have a Garmin 760T with a bigger screen. Its a great device but over the top for what the wife wants it for!

For your Mam and Dad the Aldi device is a perfect choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭djb85

What about this?

Looks good - who does the Navman maps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Looks good - who does the Navman maps ?

Tele Atlas!

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »

I've put in an Irish address and still only charges £7.99 for shipping.
    How are Tele Atlas for Irish maps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 paddykelly6

The Navman s50 looks pretty decent.

I'dm looking to purchase one myself but I emailed lemon digital (twice) to confirm it had Irish maps and that i can get the free 2009 map upgrade.

According to thier website:

"FREE 2009 Map Update Worth £69.95 On All Navman S Series Sat Nav Purchase's Made Now Untill The End OF January 2009"

The reply i got from lemon digital was:

1st email
    "These come with Irish mapping but cannot be updated free"

2nd email
    "This has no upgrade feature at all - this is only on the v2 s series"

Can anyone make sense of that??????

Paddy,

I emailed Lemon Digital and asked them to confirm that the Navman S50 comes with a free upgrade when 2009 maps become available.

Got an email back from 'Neil' and he confirmed this.

Derek.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paddykelly6

Sounds good Derek, I must have confused him somehow with my email.

I shall be purchaseing one of these now so.

Paddy

Advertisement