Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Living in Ireland Vs UK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

jett wrote: »
    Most cities in England are awful.
    Wrong
    House prices here are cheaper and the quality here is much better.
    Wrong
    The air is better, the sea is better, the people are nicer ( whatever their nationality) in Ireland.
    Wrong

Bull**** of the highest, most moronic order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

blackberer wrote: »
    Which goods are you checing for?
    If you can post something that can convince me
    that"it is more expensive for most goods"in Ireland
    then I will buy you a pint,
    but I am 99% sure you wont find anything!!
    ANYTHING,from a tin of beans to a Mercedes Benz!

Well it would be cheaper to buy the pint in the UK than in Ireland for a start. It's no wonder pubs in Ireland aren't doing well with the rip off prices they charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Bob Cratchet

I went to buy a small pressure washer last week. Exact same model in exact same chain of stores only 30mins apart was €100 in NI and € 121 in the south. That's a big percentage in a small purchase. €21 would buy you a nice meal. Most things I price in the north are cheaper. The range is often larger, the products are often the newer model etc. and I find the service better as well. Greed and a general take it or leave it attitude to customer service in the republic is rampant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 blackberer

Was in Bristol today..not London ok.
    Internet cafe for 30 mins £5..
    equivalent in Dub €1,50-€2
    Went into library as I forgot to print something..
    Cost to join Library=£0..cost to use computer for 20 mins=£1.50(print per page 40pence)
    Library in Dublin=€0 to join,€0 computer access(€0.20 per print)
    Bus from Bristol Airport to centre=£6(15 min journey)
    Dub Bus to centre/Dublin Bus=€2.20,Airlink=€6,Aircoach=€7
    Lunch=£14.95(pretty basic Lunch in a pub chain)
    Pint of Guiness=£3.90/Guinness in Dublin if you know where to go=€3.50
    Picked up a Lidl brochure to compere prices..
    Everything more expensive in Bristol
    Wine up to 20% more expensive in Bristol.
    I could not believe the price of fuel as I passed by all the stations(on the bus)
    (you can see how exciting is my life!)
    At the airport confirmed charge per day to use long-term car park at£32.Picked my car up at Bewelys Dub airport at a daily charge of €4
    (advertised at €4.95)with the discount on-line!
    Boy,was I glad to get home.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    There's only one "t" in that.

Well,No,actually there are two T s depending on your definition..
    ****T for brains!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

News item today suggests that british families will need an extra £900 this year just to stand still with soaring food and fuel prices outstriping wages .

I think London and Dublin have more in common price wise and going on my own expierence of living in UK , you will find it slightly cheaper in northern England to get a taxi and buy stuff like beer were local economy has a big influence and dictates prices .

However , whenever I have travelled down to London by bus I make sure to pack a lunch and large bottle of water to avoid the crazy prices they charge in stop off service stations .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,251 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Was in Bristol today..not London ok.
    Internet cafe for 30 mins £5..
    equivalent in Dub €1,50-€2
    Went into library as I forgot to print something..
    Cost to join Library=£0..cost to use computer for 20 mins=£1.50(print per page 40pence)
    Library in Dublin=€0 to join,€0 computer access(€0.20 per print)
    Bus from Bristol Airport to centre=£6(15 min journey)
    Dub Bus to centre/Dublin Bus=€2.20,Airlink=€6,Aircoach=€7
    Lunch=£14.95(pretty basic Lunch in a pub chain)
    Pint of Guiness=£3.90/Guinness in Dublin if you know where to go=€3.50
    Picked up a Lidl brochure to compere prices..
    Everything more expensive in Bristol
    Wine up to 20% more expensive in Bristol.
    I could not believe the price of fuel as I passed by all the stations(on the bus)
    (you can see how exciting is my life!)
    At the airport confirmed charge per day to use long-term car park at£32.Picked my car up at Bewelys Dub airport at a daily charge of €4
    (advertised at €4.95)with the discount on-line!
    Boy,was I glad to get home.

Seems like you like comparing walk up / don't what I am doing prices in Bristol to I am prepared and know what I am doing prices in Dublin.

Tell me how much you can get a Archos 101 16Gb in Dublin for as my brother phoned me yesterday to get him one this week to bring over next weekend. I want to see if he will be wasting his money buying it here

Wrong

Wrong

Wrong

Oh yeah,and just to top my day..some big fat English tart
    accused me of trying to jump the queue at customs in Dublin..
    I would have ignored her but for the fact that she did it in that
    arrogant,obnoxious attitude SOME English people love to display
    in Public..you would'nt happen to be English ejmaztec,would you??

Seems like you like comparing walk up / don't what I am doing prices in Bristol to I am prepared and know what I am doing prices in Dublin.

Tell me how much you can get a Archos 101 16Gb in Dublin for as my brother phoned me yesterday to get him one this week to bring over next weekend.

Dont know what the **** is an Archos..but if your on about modems
    and if not,thanks for reminding me..
    Pay as you go 3 mobile UK £25
    Pay as you go 3 mobile Ire €25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

****T for brains!

Enough with the abuse on this thread please. Infraction for TommyTippee and ban for blackberer for not heading his infraction only half an hour ago.

• Advertisement

Dont know what the **** is an Archos..but if your on about modems
    and if not,thanks for reminding me..
    Pay as you go 3 mobile UK £25
    Pay as you go 3 mobile Ire €25

http://www.archos.com/store/psearch.html?country=ie&lang=en&prod_id=archos101it

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Well it would be cheaper to buy the pint in the UK than in Ireland for a start. It's no wonder pubs in Ireland aren't doing well with the rip off prices they charge

I dunno. The ordinary pub in the street seems to be charging on a par with Ireland. The Wetherspoons seem to have dirt cheap offers but it seems to be hard to find pubs that charge the same prices as Corrie - two pints and a hotpot for tuppence'hapenny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

I don't know what your agenda is and I would ask you to explain rather than saying wrong, wrong,wrong.
    I moved to Ireland beacause the quality of life here is superior to whats left in England.
    I did a lot research.
    I know England intimately.
    I have 7 years experience of living in rural Ireland.
    What is your qualification and experience.
    I love England and its Englishness but I find that Ireland is more English than Ireland seems to have become.
    I doubt if you will understand this.
    Please explain your reasoning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

I left Stanstead under a Brit passport and a perfectly polite security man at customs turfed out my bag because I had a mobile phone in it and it looked like a device, my coat had a similar moblie in it and they were not bothered.
    So what, if it stopped me for 5 minutes.
    At the same time my 76 year old mother had her bag turfed out because of a bit of underarm deoderant classed as a liquid and had to stick it in a £1 bag.
    Big deal.
    I once had an attempted body search at Stanstead by a middle east operative who could not speak English, at a time of high alert. I was right as it was later proved that many such persons had no security clearance.
    Every time I go to England ny coach I quote the Anglo Irish agreement of 1948 ( free and easy passage between both countries) I am looked on as an idjit by the Irish who do not understand their own rights.
    Now recentley superseeded by the prevention of terrorism act which covers just about everything and means nothing as nearly every car goes through without a check.
    All I will say is stick together and avoid political and racial divisivness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

According to this site - overall the UK is 12% cheaper than Ireland
    But It also has figures saying that Dublin is cheaper than London .

http://ireland-living.blogspot.com/2011/06/cost-of-living-in-ireland-compared-to.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Ogham wrote: »
    According to this site - overall the UK is 12% cheaper than Ireland
    But It also has figures saying that Dublin is cheaper than London .

http://ireland-living.blogspot.com/2011/06/cost-of-living-in-ireland-compared-to.html

As usual with these surveys, they are 12 - 15months out of date when they are published.

"In March 2010 a comparison of the cost of living in 214 major cities across the world was carried out by a company called Mercer "

Overall, the UK probably is cheaper, but with a worse work / life balance, lower pay and higher taxes, you need to work a lot more to enjoy the standard of living most people enjoy over here.

It also says that UK earnings are 16% below Irish earnings. - So in theory, on that survey, we are 4% better off then UK.

I agree - the wages and dole are higher here and balance out the higher costs. I was just pointing out some actual figures to stop others picking on random items to compare prices.

12% cheaper isn't much - I thought it would have been more to be honest.
    I don't know if they included council tax and water rates - which add a big figure to costs over there.

(The figures from the OECD are produced every month - so are probably fairly up to date? )

• Registered Users Posts: 4 donegal bay

[font=Times New Roman","serif]I don t know about London. I am Irish, single, early retired, looking at moving from Scotland (non city), to Sligo or Leitrim in Ireland. I set up an Excel sheet and for me personally it came out at e360 per month dearer in Ireland than Scotland, based on a current rate of about 1.19. That s about 37% more expensive for me (but those coming home to a job may have a much lower factor of difference). The biggest single factors were car insurance about 3x greater, VHI (Aviva actually) costing e800, so total medical expenses estimated well over e1000 a year more than in Scotland. I treated water+bins+LPT (Ireland) together and found this the one category considerably cheaper in Ireland when compared to my council tax which has a 25% single person discount. All other categories and items were dearer or much dearer in Ireland. I used actual quotes as far as practicable, on both sides, and included all significant categories of expenditure. To save on queries, yes I really did try to include everything, and yes, I am totally shocked at how bad it is. Consumer choices will differ so each person would need to enter their own figures and choices in a spreadsheet or tot it up. For me this cost is beyond practicable, so I will look to buy a house in NI as near to the area in RoI I want to be in as possible. Of course we don t know what s going to happen when UK leaves Europe, this may be a downside of my strategy, but I could move again, as a last resort, if that became a bad problem. I don t know how people living in Ireland manage, I can only assume those working are on high enough incomes to pay for it, and the others are doing without the more expensive things. People often say to me that I ve got the benefit of the exchange rate (even at present level) but the fact is that it doesn t do more than slightly ameliorate the much higher cost of living in Ireland. Those returning to work in ireland will be able to offset the cost with presumably higher income there. But not for those of us retiring home, even on a decent private pension from the UK.[/font]

You don't "need" health insurance. It just helps you jump the queue . Even if you do get seriously ill in Ireland without insurance - the very most you will have to pay in a year for any kind of treatment/operations/scans is 750 . That is 75 per night in hospital - capped at 750 a year. In my opinion - it's not worth paying for insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Council tax does not cover water in the UK - you pay a water firm separately. In Scotland this is still state-owned; and the average bill is about £350 a year.

In NI they get zeroed out bills as currently the bills are paid by the DRD from central funds, but that will end and they'll be paying direct.

• Advertisement

My council tax bill including water & sewage charges is below

Total: £1,863.77
    made up of
    Council Tax: £1,345.67
    Water Charge (Scottish Water): £278.30
    Sewage Charge (Scottish Water): £239.80

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

I went into my local Centra today to buy a Crunchie. It was priced at €1.55. WTF? I decided not to buy it at such an over inflated price and walked out as I refuse to pay that crazy price! That is £1.22 in old Irish punts. What a rip-off!

I bought a Cadbury Crunchie in July in Newry for 57p. They are usually around 59p & 60p in England too. Better off sticking to the multi-packs of 3's or 4's which are on offer a €1.00, €1.50, or €2.00!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

EIRE1922 wrote: »
    I went into my local Centra today to buy a Crunchie. It was priced at €1.55. WTF? I decided not to buy it at such an over inflated price and walked out as I refuse to pay that crazy price! That is £1.22 in old Irish punts. What a rip-off!

I bought a Cadbury Crunchie in July in Newry for 57p. They are usually around 59p & 60p in England too. Better off sticking to the multi-packs of 3's or 4's which are on offer a €1.00, €1.50, or €2.00!
    Probably in the same centra, a multi pack of 4 was €2.

Its convenience you are paying for. And its not just here, WH Smith was £1.65 for 500ml bottle of coke in Coventry last month and standard size choc bars were £1.15 - £1.30.

Even at 85p exchange (at that time) I found it to be quite expensive - worst was £5.50 for 25ml spit of black bush. My local here charges €4 for a 35ml shot.

Eating out in any half decent place is expensive too. Over £80 for Indian meal for two.

Groceries were cheaper, but it was the cheaper processed stuff that was cheaper. Good meat and more premium goods were no cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Looking at a TV today in power city . Liked it as its what I want the LG 43LH590V. Anyway came home had a look at curry's Ireland prices was the same price 489 . I then checked curry's UK 349 pounds . Converted over it's 387 Euro . Over 20% on one item . While I accept where a small country 20% on a big ticket item like this . I know where I'll be heading to buy it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

castle2012 wrote: »
    Looking at a TV today in power city . Liked it as its what I want the LG 43LH590V. Anyway came home had a look at curry's Ireland prices was the same price 489 . I then checked curry's UK 349 pounds . Converted over it's 387 Euro . Over 20% on one item . While I accept where a small country 20% on a big ticket item like this . I know where I'll be heading to buy it .

Exchange rate? Same sterling price would have been more expensive than here a year ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Currys uk have it on special offer reduced from 399.00 (about €455 at consumer exchange rate)

I never understand why people compare special offer prices with standard prices and then say "rip off"

Yes its cheaper and you get advantage of a special offer, but considering the exchange rate was 1.38 less than 4 months ago, its a bit rich saying ripoff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Curry's Ireland also have it on offer at 489

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Curry's Ireland also have it on offer at 489

But you do understand that the exchange rate has dramatically changed in the last 6 months making uk prices cheaper when converting from euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

UK consumer prices are going to rise, drastically, over the next while. Making comparisons in the strange bubble we're in now isn't very valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Walter2016 wrote: »
    Probably in the same centra, a multi pack of 4 was €2.

Its convenience you are paying for. And its not just here, WH Smith was £1.65 for 500ml bottle of coke in Coventry last month and standard size choc bars were £1.15 - £1.30.
    I'm amazed so many people still buy single bars and small bottles of coke. Even if I was a billionaire it would sicken me to hand over that sort of money for them.

Advertisement