Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI Close Season Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2008-09

• 18-11-2008 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like McGill will be back at Rovers from Shels.

Quality midfielder.

We'll lose a shedload anyway.

God knows who we'll get/can afford.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Dan Murray is on a weeks trial with Leeds. St Johnston also interested.

Gamble to MK Franchise

Behan to Linfield

Healy to Hearts

Neal Horgan to quit altogether

Kearney to Heerenveen (again)

Danny Murphy to Millwall I think.

Bizarely, Neale Fenn is being linked with a move back to City, but I assume that is nonsense. Also Alan Bennett is being linked with a loan move back in June. Rumours also stating that CCFC will be taking Davin O Neill, Shane Guthrie and Kevin Murray all away from Cobh. I would like to see us make a move for Ross Gaynor as well. Looks a decent player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Heard a rumour that Keegan from Drogs could be on his way to Bohs (their status permitting)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Trilla wrote: »
    Heard a rumour that Keegan from Drogs could be on his way to Bohs (their status permitting)

heard 5 or 6 drogs lads linked with bohs:(

dont rate keegan at all by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Deegan and Kalonas will probably get big moves on frees. Fenlon said before the court case that theyd be cutting 5k a week or so off the wage bill so hopefully no big name signings. S Byrne as a coach, Keegan and Gary O'Neill have been rumoured for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Where will Keith Fahey go? Have Pats money to buy good players, they badly need a top class striker.

Deegan, Kalonas and Brennan are players coveted abroad but Bohs need to keep them in order to challenge in Europe, Fenlon would be better off losing Jason Byrne or Crowe if he needs to reduce the wage bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Where will Keith Fahey go?
    Magic flight to England probably.
    Have Pats money to buy good players, they badly need a top class striker.
    In theory, yes.

But their sugar daddy is getting cold feet and wants out.

Pat's will be next season's Bohs and Drogs and Cork.
    Fenlon would be better off losing Jason Byrne or Crowe if he needs to reduce the wage bill.
    They'll need to get rid of a lot more than Crowe and Byrne, imo.

Depressing alright.

Crowe and Byrne are under contract, Deegan and Kalonas arent.

Messed up there, so they will more than likely leave then?

Getting Kalonas and Deegan in were fantastic bits of business. We've complained enough about big money 3 year contracts being thrown around. This meant the 2 of them and McGill also on a 6 month contract would have half a season to prove their worth and also a chance for a budget rethink after the courtcase. Doubt Kalonas would have agreed to a longer contract, Seville scouts were watching him last week - he really is far too good for this league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Des wrote: »
    Magic flight to England probably.

Can you name one player whoever actually transferred to England from an LOI club and instantly made the international first team squad?

I don't think this mythical person exists although going on his European performances so far, Fahey could be this man eventually.

It will be very interesting to see what happens Shels in this close season, their squad could be broken up completely if they can't afford to turn down offers for some of their better players. The Bohs situation is mental, hard to discuss any transfers if the champions aren't even sure what position they are negotiating from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Draupnir wrote: »
    The Bohs situation is mental, hard to discuss any transfers if the champions aren't even sure what position they are negotiating from.

LOL, If Pat's won't take Ndo back, Bohs (or anybody else) probably won't have the money to sign him. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Doolin to Dundalk followed by half the Drogs lads. RUMOUR.
    Apparently there was a board meeting last night about Gill's future. No word yet about what was said/offered.

Scully to Dundalk is what I've heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Been told by a journo from Waterford it's Cronin is off up to Dundalk.

Well John Gill is officially gone from Dundalk FC now. We are Real Madrid. Club are advertising the post this week if anybody here is interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pighead wrote: »
    Well John Gill is officially gone from Dundalk FC now. We are Real Madrid. Club are advertising the post this week if anybody here is interested.

Des??

Madness.

Spends years getting you lot up, and when he does, you sack him.

Perhaps he'll come to Shels if Keely calls it a day.
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Des??

Nah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

where'd you hear that?

that he's officially gone?

event wrote: »
    where'd you hear that?

Don't question Pighead. :rolleyes::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭horsebokks

Been told by a journo from Waterford it's Cronin is off up to Dundalk.
    not good enough to manage in the premier division yet.....when the going gets tough he'll publicly blame everyone but himself... he wont get away with that in a premier division dressing room.

event wrote: »
    where'd you hear that?

LMFM. The radio station that never lies.
    Don't question LMFM.
    Madness.

Spends years getting you lot up, and when he does, you sack him.
    In fairness there's been rumblings of discontent all season long amongst the faithful. Players not fit enough, questionable tactics, Gill losing the head with lads on a message board etc. He didn't even turn up on Saturday night to Oriel Park with the trophy. (Everybody else did)

To be fair he's had the biggest budget in the division for the past 3 years so we he was due winning the division. Also his last stint in the top division didn't go to well. Personally I think the bloke deserved a shot in the top division but I'll hold back until I find out who the board are bringing in to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

LMFM. The radio station that never lies.
    Don't question LMFM.

aye just heard it after i posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Pete Mahon looks to be on his way out of UCD. I'd say he will definitely apply for the Dundalk job. I'd say he would also be interested in going to Shels if/when Keely leaves.

A good chunk of our starting XI will more than likely leave the club. Kenna, McNally, Bermingham, McFaul, Finn will all more than likely have plenty of suitors. Gregg and King will probably be in demand too.

Bermingham looks like he's going to Pats. Kenna will probably to Dundalk if Scully goes there.

Mahon was extremely close to taking the Shels job 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It's starting to look like the leagues going to lose a lot of the most exciting players this close season and more than likely the clubs will get feck all money for them as well.

Bizarre going ons up in Oriel. Here's a statement from our chairman Gerry Matthews.

“There are no hard and fast rules saying that you have to employ the same manager in the Premier Division as in the First.
    “We are a very progressive club and we want to see who is out there who might contribute in different ways to the club.
    “We have no problem with John – he did the business and he did it well. “ But we want to see if there is anyone out there who can contribute in different ways to Dundalk.”

Gill insisted that last night that he had not resigned as manager of the Oriel Park outfit.
    “Categorically I want to say I have not resigned said the former Dublin City Manager.
    “I want to manage in the Premier Division. But the club is making sure they want to look at their options and I have no problem with that.

I can't get my head around that last quote from Gill. He says he has no problem with Matthews looking for a replacement for his job. I would have thought Gill would be well within his rights to tell Matthews to stick his job up his jacksie. Strange.

Wednesday November 19 2008 Independent.ie

CELTIC are lining up a bid for St Patrick's Athletic midfielder Keith Fahey after Birmingham had a first offer for the 25-year-old rejected yesterday, WRITES DANIEL McDONNELL.

The Championship promotion contenders were willing to part with a figure close to €200,000, with a further €90,000 in add-ons, but that does not meet the valuation of the Inchicore club.

Birmingham have been impressed by the PFAI Player of the Year after watching him in action in recent weeks, feeling that he would offer badly needed creativity in the centre of the park, and are expected to come back with another bid after their initial approach was rebuffed by St Pat's.

However, they are not the only suitors, with SPL giants Celtic monitoring the situation. Scout John Park watched Fahey in the UEFA Cup tie with Hertha Berlin at the RDS in September, and they requested further DVDs of the Tallaght native in action.

Earlier this year, the Glasgow club made a foray into the League of Ireland market to take Paddy McCourt from Derry City -- and he has eventually broken into the first team picture in recent weeks.

Celtic aren't the only SPL outfit to be keeping an eye on the uncertain financial situation in Ireland at the moment, with Drogheda pair Brian Shelley and Eamon Zayed set to play a trial match for Hamilton Academicals today.

As revealed in the Irish Independent last Thursday, Zayed has also been in Korea, along with Adam Hughes, looking to impress enough to find new employment. He received two contract offers after his time there, but will see how things go with Hamilton before assessing his options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

monkey9 wrote: »
    The Championship promotion contenders were willing to part with a figure close to €200,000, with a further €90,000 in add-ons, but that does not meet the valuation of the Inchicore club.
    €200k is an absolutely insulting offer. West Ham also rumoured to be interested, but Fahey's thought to favour a move to a Championship club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I know for a fact that Pat scully will not be appointed the next Dundalk manager. They are looking for a young man to take the team on and there seems to be a lot of eyes on Gareth Cronin. Now my preferred option would be Pete Mahon.

Talking to the same board member and told him i wanted Keely back he laughed and said not going to happen ( he hinted that it was due to the treatment of gill )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Sarge wrote: »
    I know for a fact that Pat scully will not be appointed the next Dundalk manager. They are looking for a young man to take the team on and there seems to be a lot of eyes on Gareth Cronin. Now my preferred option would be Pete Mahon.

Talking to the same board member and told him i wanted Keely back he laughed and said not going to happen ( he hinted that it was due to the treatment of gill )

But Scully is younger than Gareth Cronin... :confused:

But Scully is younger than Gareth Cronin... :confused:
    No he's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

No he's not.

You sure?

Regardless, both are in their 30's. Going with one because he is a 'young man' over the other is a touch strange.

You sure?

Regardless, both are in their 30's. Going with one because he is a 'young man' over the other is a touch strange.
    Yeah Scully's five years older than Cronin. Anyway you're right, both are young men. I very much doubt they're ruling out Scully because he's "not a young man"
    My money's still on Doolin.

djpbarry wrote: »
    €200k is an absolutely insulting offer. West Ham also rumoured to be interested, but Fahey's thought to favour a move to a Championship club.

Tell me about it, i honestly think he should be closer to a million. But certainly well over 500,000 grand in any case

• Advertisement

Five hundred thousand grand?

That's Five million right?

Are you serious?

Are you serious?
    It's actually 500 000 000. And to be honest I think that's about right for a player of his quality.

Are you serious?

em.....yeah, that's....eh exactly what i meant. I really rate him.

D'OH!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Are you serious?
    The least we can accept is €150 BILLION!

Sarge wrote: »

Said that a few days ago in this thread.;)

• Advertisement

Said that a few days ago in this thread.;)
    And it was ignored as you said you heard it from a journalist. Journalists are full of shit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

And it was ignored as you said you heard it from a journalist. Journalists are full of shit!

As might Sarge be :D

True.:D

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/eircomleague/news.asp?n=34997
    Drogs endure further instability as wages cease

November 21, 2008

Drogheda United’s position in the Premier Division is becoming increasingly unstable following revelations that contracted players would not receive wages this week.

Key links:
    Messageboard login
    View forum index
    Start new thread
    The club must honour outstanding debts to players before a November 30th deadline or face the prospect of losing their Premier licence and demotion to the First Division for next season.

And revelations in Friday’s Irish Daily Mirror that eight players and staff who remain under contract were informed – via text message – they would not be paid this week brings that possibility into stark focus.

The report claims the text message read: “To all players and staff. We are sorry to inform you that due to cash flow difficulties the club is unable to pay salaries this week.”

Drogheda already faced the break-up of the squad which brought the club to League of Ireland, FAI Cup and dual Setanta Sports Cup success over the past three years, with players scattered all over the world – Eamon Zayed and Adam Hughes have travelled to South Korea – in search of new clubs.

Now, however, the very existence of the club is under threat, with no reports of investors keen to take over the running of the club from the court-appointed examiner.

Going down, going down, going down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

*reserves room in the Villa Rose in Ballybofey for next season*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Id be great if Harps stayed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

CiaranC wrote: »
    Id be great if Harps stayed up

You're already great! *hugs*

:D

http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2757

Lance Friesz
    John Frost
    Stephen Brennan
    Stephen Paisley
    Glen Fitzpatrick
    Jaraslow Bialek
    Gary O'Neill
    Dave Rogers
    Alan Kirby

All released.

If we had the money I'd take Fitzer (just because of that night in Lansdowne against Lille and the fact Fenlon never gave him a chance), O'Neill and Kirby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

No Frost? I'd've taken him when we were at the top!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

About 80% of the Athlone town squad to move on.

The club owe players about 18 grand apparently.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement