Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI Close Season Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2008-09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

*Cough* Crawley *Cough*:pac:

:D

Hooooooooooooooffffffffffffffffffffff

Can't wait for next season!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Pure Cork wrote: »

That's brilliant news.

He's a brilliant player.

I honestly thought he'd leave city after one season but fair play to him for staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

On TV3 News, they were on about Doolin having his second meeting with Coughlan this evening and that he would be confirmed as manager later tonight. More about it on Sports Tonight later.

Delighted that Healy is staying on with City! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

djpbarry wrote: »
    Cobh propose to sell St. Colman's Park to the FAI:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0112/cobh.html

Very foolish, short-sighted move, in my opinion.

Might be quite a good move for them IMO, considering their situation. The way I'm reading the above though, is that they're essentially only leasing the ground to the FAI for 10 years and receiving €500k for it, then renting it from them annually for say €60k, and then after 10 years they (Cobh) own the stadium again (?).

Obviously they'll have to try to hold on to the income from bars etc. as part of the conditions of the "sale". But it's a quite simple yet clever (if somewhat drastic) measure to get them out of their current difficulties.

And re Sporting Franchise... they must have heard they're getting into the Premier or something... they have an incredible squad if all the above signings have actually went through :eek:.

• Advertisement

From the examiner
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cork City set to appoint Doolin as new boss

By John Riordan
    PAUL DOOLIN will be unveiled as the new Cork City boss tomorrow, ending a six-week search for the club’s 13th manager.

He will sign a two-year contract with the League of Ireland outfit later today.

The former Drogheda United manager emerged as a contender to succeed Alan Mathews in the Rebel Army hotseat over the weekend but spent most of yesterday denying links with the vacant position.

However he was in Cork all day yesterday for talks and a source at the club told the Irish Examiner last night that only paperwork issues stood in the way of sealing the deal.

Doolin reached a settlement with the Boynesiders in the last few days that paved the way for Cork chairman Tom Coughlan to begin talks with the Dubliner.

In denying an approach by the club, Doolin yesterday added: “Cork City is a big club in a big city but I think any manager would only be tempted by it if the club stays with a full-time set-up.”

A former Shamrock Rovers and Shelbourne player, he won a league in 2007 with Drogs having also garnered an FAI Cup against his new club (2005) and two Setanta Cups (2006, 2007) — one of those successful finals also against Cork.

Doolin will receive an early boost with confirmation last night that key midfielder and former Republic of Ireland international Colin Healy has signed a new two-year contract at the club.

Healy said: “I’m delighted to have signed for Cork City for the next two years. I’m looking forward to the season ahead, and hopefully we can push on from last season and enjoy further success in 2009.”

Meanwhile, Pete Mahon yesterday left relegated UCD by mutual consent.

Mahon had been at the helm of the College club for five and a half years, succeeding Doolin in September of 2003.

Club Secretary Dick Shakespere said, “Pete has made an enormous contribution to the development and stability of this club over the last five years or so. We were unable to agree with Pete’s plans for this season and regrettably we agreed to part company. We thank him for his contribution and we are very sorry that he will no longer be with us.

“We also respect Pete’s decision and will continue to have an excellent relationship with him.”

Pete Mahon said, “I am disappointed to leave UCD. It is a club with great foundations and I am happy to have played my role in the development of young players at the club. I wish them every success for the future.” Former Manchester United and St Patrick’s Athletic midfielder Martin Russell has been appointed as caretaker manager.

Mahon to SPA seems likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

On TV3 News, they were on about Doolin having his second meeting with Coughlan this evening and that he would be confirmed as manager later tonight. More about it on Sports Tonight later.

Get ready for your defenders to spend most of next season playing the back pass to the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Des wrote: »

We can only hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

gimmick wrote: »
    Mathews backpay is sorted.

Oh, dear......

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/doolin-coy-over-cork-job-amid-confusion-1599579.html
    An added difficulty for Cork was the lodgement of a file on former Cork boss Alan Mathews' contract with the FAI Licensing Committee by the Football Managers Association of Ireland.

FMAI officer Dermot Keely said Mathews is owed money by City, and their licence to operate in the league this season could be blocked unless they pay up Mathews' contract.

"Sorted"? Or more media lies? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Publin wrote: »
    Might be quite a good move for them IMO, considering their situation. The way I'm reading the above though, is that they're essentially only leasing the ground to the FAI for 10 years and receiving €500k for it, then renting it from them annually for say €60k, and then after 10 years they (Cobh) own the stadium again (?).
    That’s not how I understand it. A conventional sale and leaseback agreement is generally used to free up capital but retain use of an asset. So Cobh sell St. Colman’s to the FAI for €500k and then they are guaranteed to be the sole tenants for 10 years, or whatever the agreed term is. After that time, the FAI retain ownership. Now, they can lease it to Cobh for another 10 years if they want at that time, but Cobh do not regain ownership of the ground, unless of course they buy it back. I could be wrong on this, but that’s my understanding of the situation.
    Publin wrote: »
    And re Sporting Franchise... they must have heard they're getting into the Premier or something... they have an incredible squad if all the above signings have actually went through :eek:.
    Absolutely – I think the 65% wage cap is 165% in their case.

Des wrote: »
    A distinct possibility alright – he’d certainly be one of my preferred candidates.
    PDN wrote: »
    Get ready for your defenders to spend most of next season playing the back pass to the keeper.
    Hmm, that would be a very ambitious brand of football for Paul Doolin.

Gill linked with the vacant manager's position at Drogs (assuming they'll need one next season).

Jeff Kenna linked with Pats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The reason Kenna turned down Cork Citys offer is because CCFC wanted him to move permanently to Cork, and not commute from the UK. Would SPA allow this, or will Kenna be moving to Dublin?

gimmick wrote: »
    The reason Kenna turned down Cork Citys offer is because CCFC wanted him to move permanently to Cork, and not commute from the UK. Would SPA allow this, or will Kenna be moving to Dublin?
    I remember Paul Keegan used to commute from the UK when he was on Pats' books in 06/07. I'm not sure if they'd be keen on a similar situation with a manager, but, like most normal people, Jeff might be a bit more enthusiastic about a move to Dublin than Cork ;).

And it's official:
    14/01/2009 [15:16]
    ST PATS APPOINT NEW MANAGER
    St Patrick's Athletic FC are delighted to announce the appointment of Jeff Kenna as first team manager.

Kenna, who guided Galway United to safety in the Premier Division last season will officially take charge of the team when they return for pre-season training on Jan 21st.

'Jeff brings a great deal of football experience, knowledge and enthusiasm to the role and everyone at the club is looking forward to working with him over the coming season', said Pat's CEO Richard Sadlier.

Meanwhile, Ian Foster has been appointed manager of Galway and has signed Derek O'Brien from Pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Damn. Sad to see Kenna go.

And it's official:
    :) We'll take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

And it's official:

Meanwhile, Ian Foster has been appointed manager of Galway and has signed Derek O'Brien from Pats.

That God for that. O' Brien is awful!!

That Kenna deal was done rather quick. I think i'm happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

After Kenna pledged his future to Galway just a week or 2 ago, I hope he gos tits up at Pats and not even Galway want him anymore. He won't stop applying for jobs until he has gotten that move to England he so greatly desires.

Can you blame him?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Can you blame him?

Yes. If he doesn't think Galway is good enough for him, he shouldn't have told them that he was staying for this season.

I was asking could you blame him for wanting a move to England?

DSB wrote: »
    If he doesn't think Galway is good enough for him, he shouldn't have told them that he was staying for this season.
    In fairness, the Pats job wasn't available at the time. Keith Fahey had committed himself to Pats for 2009, but I can't say I blame him for wanting to go to Birmingham!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Why the feck did he pledge to stay with Galway only a few weeks ago. I hope he signed a contract so he can be sued.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

aren't they going part-time?

In fairness, the Pats job wasn't available at the time. Keith Fahey had committed himself to Pats for 2009, but I can't say I blame him for wanting to go to Birmingham!

Granted, but Keith Fahey hadn't pimped himself out to every other club that would have him, then pledge his future (presumably because no1 else would have him) and then leave anyway. The words I could use to describe this man would result in me being banned from this forum so I'll hold my tongue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Meaths Brendan Murphy (Goalkeeper) signs for Longford Town:cool:....and he'll train whenever he feels like it goddamnit!:pac:
    http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=105598
    (apparently he would prefer to train 1night per week in these (recession) straining times)

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    That God for that. O' Brien is awful!!
    That's the one bit of good news for Galway tbh. Best player they have.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Why the feck did he pledge to stay with Galway only a few weeks ago. I hope he signed a contract so he can be sued.:mad:
    Compensation was agreed between the clubs – Derek O’Brien may have been part of the deal.
    DSB wrote: »
    Granted, but Keith Fahey hadn't pimped himself out to every other club that would have him, then pledge his future (presumably because no1 else would have him) and then leave anyway.
    I admit that the circumstances are slightly unusual, but it seems the two clubs have sorted things out between themselves. I can understand why Galway fans would be pissed off, but the guy is just taking what he sees as a great opportunity (which wasn’t available when he committed to Galway). There may also be some personal reason behind why he decided to move. These things happen all the time in football.

Sherifu wrote: »
    That's the one bit of good news for Galway tbh. Best player they have.

Well, if they're happy to have him and he does well back at Galway, then fair enough. But he did nothing at Pat's. I think he beat his player about twice, the few months he was there.

Bobby Ryan seems to be the only left sided player left at Pat's. O'Brien, Kirby and Byrne are all gone!!

Bobby Ryan seems to be the only left sided player left at Pat's.
    I'm pretty sure Jeff played on the left-hand side at some point during his career ;).

Looks like Mervue will be in this season's first division:
    Galway side Mervue United are expected to take up the chance of League of Ireland football after reaching an agreement to make Terryland Park its temporary home.

Mervue usually play their games at Fahy’s Field, which is likely to have failed the infrastructure criterion within the FAI’s licensing regulations.

But Terryland – owned by the Galway Football Association and home to Premier Division Galway United – will act as temporary home for Mervue’s debut season in senior football.
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/eircomleague/news.asp?n=35520

Well, if they're happy to have him and he does well back at Galway, then fair enough. But he did nothing at Pat's. I think he beat his player about twice, the few months he was there.
    It's strange to hear that 'cause that's the one thing he did very well for Galway. He beat his man time and time again and created lots of chances. Either he got worse as a player or had some instructions from the bench. Kinda strange anyway.

• Advertisement

Looks like Mervue will be in this season's first division:

Great news.

Can't beat a trip to Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Nice to see Mervue go up but i wonder can Galway support two teams in the league.

Still it's good that teams have a route into the league rather than no relegation for the bottom team of the First Division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Nice to see Mervue go up but i wonder can Galway support two teams in the league.

It can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ger Rowe supposely trained with Bohs yesterday.

Hopefully Mervue will be playing Saturdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ger Rowe supposely trained with Bohs yesterday.

I can just picture the welcome in Tallaght this season, if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Paul Peschisolido new st pats assitant.

I realise both of them are at pats to try get a move to a job in england, kenna is heading the right direction geography wise :D

To do that both have to be succesful so its win win for us, dont understand the mad galway fans foaming at the mouth over kennas departure, they let him talk to other clubs then are shocked when one offers him a job :confused:

Aware he agreed a verbal contract with them and they got O brien and some monies for their troubles, i think we just gave them money to take o brien back :D

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Paul Peschisolido new st pats assitant.

I realise both of them are at pats to try get a move to a job in england, kenna is heading the right direction geography wise :D

To do that both have to be succesful so its win win for us, dont understand the mad galway fans foaming at the mouth over kennas departure, they let him talk to other clubs then are shocked when one offers him a job :confused:

Aware he agreed a verbal contract with them and they got O brien and some monies for their troubles, i think we just gave them money to take o brien back :D

Is he the fella married to Karen Brady??

Is he the fella married to Karen Brady??

yup

Wonder if he knows jeff clarke :p

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/Football/2009/1/15/LOI-Peschisolido-takes-Pats-job/gnid-35584/

/aware i posted about curtis fleming before but but but but but sadlier said it was him at the patrons meeting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Ex Celtic legend Joe miller announced new assistant manager at Dundalk

Dundalk also sign Fabio O'brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shams sign Ollie Cahill and Stephen Bradley.

Sarge wrote: »
    Ex Celtic legend

How can you be an ex legend?

heh, edit:

by working for Dundalk :D

Sporting fingal sign Paisley :(

Rumoured to be premier league bound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Sorry if this has been covered before, but where are Sporting Franchise getting the money from? Is it all from the Council?

SectionF wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been covered before, but where are Sporting Franchise getting the money from? Is it all from the Council?

Jim Gannon who owns Gannon homes/properties.

He owns the ground malahide play on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

SectionF wrote: »

Council doesn't pay wages of footballers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement