Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI Close Season Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2008-09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Shane Robinsons signed for Rovers. Yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

CiaranC wrote: »

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Does anyone know where in England Paul Marney is gone to?
    Will Dermo sign a replacement for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Does anyone know where in England Paul Marney is gone to?
    Will Dermo sign a replacement for him?

Well he's from London so I'd say he's moving back there as supposely it's a family matter.

Say Dermo will, he has money freed up so I'd say he'll use it, especially with Sporting Feckall signing players left, right and centre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

CiaranC wrote: »

Robinson---Rice---Bradley/DOC---Cahill/SOC

Amond--??

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Say Dermo will, he has money freed up so I'd say he'll use it, especially with Sporting Feckall signing players left, right and centre.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Liam Burns training with Dundalk :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can't blame the chap.

Mick Devine (Cork) Gary Dunphy, Kevin Murray (Cobh), John Kearney (Cobh) and Graham Cummins (CObh) all signed by Waterford Utd with John Hayes leaving.

Cork have signed Dan Connor from Drogs.

Stephen O'Donnell (Bohs) is off to Gillingham and Liam Burns (Bohs) is off to Dundalk, after both of them rejected new deals.

Ger Rowe, who has also been training with Bohs over the past week, is reported to be weighing up offers from Sporting Fingal and St Patrick's Athletic.

http://www.extratime.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Mick Devine (Cork) Gary Dunphy, Kevin Murray (Cobh), John Kearney (Cobh) and Graham Cummins (CObh) all signed by Waterford Utd with John Hayes leaving.

Cork have signed Dan Connor from Drogs.

Dan Connor is a geebag though. He's got a habit of getting on the bad side of city fans every time iv seen him at the cross.

Shame to see Devine go as he's given great service to the club for the last few years but he just was'nt up to standard last season.

I had to laugh reading the Mirror this morning which said George o' Callaghan might be returning to Cork.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Dan Connor is a geebag though.

Charming. :rolleyes:
    He's got a habit of getting on the bad side of city fans every time iv seen him at the cross.

Yeah cos all those racist Cork fans who love chanting "I'd rather be a Paki than a Dub" are so innocent.... :rolleyes:
    I had to laugh reading the Mirror this morning which said George o' Callaghan might be returning to Cork.:D

And that's funny because? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Have Cork not learnt their lesson with that tosser...twice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Would love to see Georgie playing for Bohs.

Zebra3 wrote: »

Yeah cos all those racist Cork fans who love chanting "I'd rather be a Paki than a Dub" are so innocent.... :rolleyes:

Ah yes Dublin. That wonderful city that is so welcoming of outsiders.:rolleyes:

Have Cork not learnt their lesson with that tosser...twice?

I would'nt take much notice. It was in the Mirror after all.;)

Given that he fell out with Damien Richardson the first time it was a bit understandable to think that things would've been different the second time with a different manager. Any other player than george and that might be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

According to Sky, he's only made 8 appearances for Tranmere since joining them in the summer.

Also, found this cracking quote from the Brighton manager when he joined them.
    "George is a strong character who will take responsibility and we are hoping he will bring a rhythm to our game."

I hope he never comes back to Ireland. He's a joke of a professional and I believe the league is better off for not having gob****es like him populating the teams.

• Advertisement

Ah yes Dublin. That wonderful city that is so welcoming of outsiders.

True and true. :)
    I hope he never comes back to Ireland. He's a joke of a professional and I believe the league is better off for not having gob****es like him populating the teams.

Plus side of him back in Ireland:Boost to struggling drinks trade. :)

Down side of him back in Ireland:Another drunk driver on the streets. :(

I think we should start a pool to guess when he'll fall out with his teamates/manager at Tranmere. I'd give him til the end of the season in England.;)

To be fair though he was a good player but his attitude is very poor. I don't think any club here would want him now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Paisley confirmed to Sporting. Got a scholarship to DCU or IT Blanch as a clincher apparently.
    Now got Zayed, Maher and Williams of Drogs
    O Neill off Pats and Quigley from Derry on loan. Pretty impressive for a div 1 team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Paisley confirmed to Sporting. Got a scholarship to DCU or IT Blanch as a clincher apparently.
    O Neill off Pats and Quigley from Derry on loan. Pretty impressive for a div 1 team.

Yes, if they get them fit and playing together well at all they will walk it. Thats better than a lot of premier teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Tomthepost wrote: »

Must be expecting bumper crowds to pay for that squad, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Surely Fingal are gonna walk that division. That's pretty much a top league team playing in the first division!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Can see Shels being right up there in the thick of it at the end. Doubt Fingal will be walking anything. Waterford could well be up there too. In the end we're all playing the same poor teams ie. Wexford, Athlone, probably Mervue and Kildare and all will be expected to put those away. Longford, Monaghan and Limerick could go any way, but it'll be down to how the teams perform against each other ie. Shels, Fingal, UCD, Harps, Waterford and Cobh (minus whichever 1 ends up in the Premier next year) that decide it. Would you put Fingal as a given to come to Tolka and get a result? I don't. And I don't think they'll fancy trips to the likes of Harps, Cobh and Waterford. The best squad on paper doesn't really mean anything if they aren't up for it, and I can't imagine the likes of Zayed and O'Neill really being up for it down in the graveyard.

Gareth37 wrote: »
    Yes, if they get them fit and playing together well at all they will walk it. Thats better than a lot of premier teams.

The club has gone fulltime. This will help greatly with gelling the players together and we will also have much better fitness levels than the majority of the division. I guess we are willing to gamble this year in order to get out of the division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Who is paying for these players?

Is this money from waste disposal etc.

The club has gone fulltime. This will help greatly with gelling the players together and we will also have much better fitness levels than the majority of the division. I guess we are willing to gamble this year in order to get out of the division.
    Haha, thats paid off bigtime for other clubs recently. Great to hear!

Who is paying for these players?

Is this money from waste disposal

No, it's money from outside the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I thought they were funded by Fingal CC

I thought they were funded by Fingal CC

No. Its outside sponsorship

How's Jim Roddy getting on at Bohs these days?

All those nice cheques he's been picking up over the Xmas/NY period, he must be itching to get stuck in with loads of new ideas and the licensing deadline next week..... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Dave Hill is the new manager at Cobh Ramblers.
    Hill, who had a spell at Saint Colman’s Park in the past, will have joint assistant managers Darragh Burke and Alan O’Sullivan, and with Simon Burke and Peter Rowe on the coaching staff.

Dave Hill, who is a highly regarded figure amongst the football community of Cobh, said he is looking forward to working and managing the rebuilding project that Cobh Ramblers will experience in the time ahead. He said he will not spare any effort to have Cobh promoted back to the Premier Division as soon as possible.

Hill said full team training will recommence at the club in the coming days as part of its preparations for the 2009 season.

• Advertisement

Darren Forsyth is staying with Shels for the 2009 season.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

So Newstalk are the new league sponsor? Good news if you ask me.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0122/loi.html

Newstalk named new League of Ireland sponsor
    Thursday, 22 January 2009 15:08
    The Football Association of Ireland today unveiled Newstalk 106-108 fm, Ireland's independent national talk radio broadcaster, as top tier sponsor of the League of Ireland in an agreement that will last three years starting in March 2009.

Under the agreement, Newstalk will also become title sponsor of the Newstalk A Championship which is played by 16 clubs country-wide under the Premier and First divisions.

From next season, the League of Ireland is being offered to the market under a new multi-sponsor format, and with today's three year deal, Newstalk will benefit from signage, marketing and promotional rights associated with the League of Ireland and the Newstalk A Championship.

With the addition of Newstalk as a top tier sponsor, the FAI will now be in a position to provide an increase in prize funding and subsidies for League of Ireland clubs next year.

Welcoming the announcement, John Delaney, chief executive of the FAI, said: 'I am very happy that Newstalk will be one of the League of Ireland's top tier sponsors in 2009.

'Under next season's multi sponsor format, the League and its clubs will benefit from increased prize funding.

'The quality of football played by Irish clubs has improved consistently and with Newstalk's proven record for quality sports broadcasting, they will be an excellent partner who will assist us in showcasing the quality and drama of League of Ireland football.'

Announcing Newstalk's sponsorship deal, chief executive Elaine Geraghty said: 'Newstalk is delighted to announce our sponsorship of the League of Ireland.

'The partnership of Ireland's national commercial talk radio station with the League reflects Newstalk's commitment to the sport and our commitment to provide unrivalled coverage of Irish sport at both national and local level.

'The sports team at Newstalk, delivering over 26 hours of sport weekly, are dedicated to providing coverage that entertains and informs our listeners all over the country.

'We are confident that this new sponsorship with the League of Ireland and the Newstalk A championship will help build domestic soccer and ensure both Newstalk and the FAI build their presence among new and existing supporters.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Newstalk are a new sponsor, theyre not going with one main sponsor this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

bohsman wrote: »
    Newstalk are a new sponsor, theyre not going with one main sponsor this year.

Hmm, probably not a bad thing, get more names on board.

Would have been funny hearing RTE LW reporting on the Newstalk League of Ireland all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Ah right, "top tier" sponsor. Probably should have read it fully! Hopefully the give it a decent slot on off the ball and get rid of that joke Roddy

http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/1/23/LOI-Exclusive-Delaney-on-LOI/gnid-36642/

John Delaney has confirmed to setanta.com that Finn Harps would be next in line if a Premier Division place opens up.

The FAI Chief Executive was speaking at the announcement of Newstalk becoming a sponsor of the League of Ireland on Thursday when he explained the structure of the new ten-team Premier Division.

While the licensing committee still have time to make their final decision on who will make the grade for the top flight, a number of clubs have already applied for one of those ten spots.

Drogheda United are still in court trying to free themselves from examinership and settle outstanding debts, but their long-term future in the league has been igniting much debate recently.

If The Boynesiders fail to meet the demands of the licensing committee, then they could drop down to either the First Division or the Newstalk A Championship.

However, the team that would replace them would be the last relegated club from the Premier Division, which is Finn Harps - depending on whether they are granted a licence themselves.

"Some clubs have applied for a Premier Division licence, but I think a lot of them are waiting to see what happens with the Drogheda situation," Delaney told setanta.com in an exclusive interview.

"Drogheda will discover over the next couple of days what the court's decision is and then they will have to see if they meet the criteria set out by the licensing committee to stay in the Premier Division.

"If they don't, and that is a if at the moment, various clubs are waiting to see if they can become a representative of the Premier Division instead.

"If any of the clubs that are currently in the Premier Division don't make it through, then the first offer will go to the last relegated club, who would be Finn Harps.

"Obviously if Finn Harps don't meet the requirements set out by the licensing committee, then it would be offered down again to the next club. Any First Division club that have applied for a Premier Division will have to wait for the relegated clubs to be sorted out first."

Des wrote: »
    http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/1/23/LOI-Exclusive-Delaney-on-LOI/gnid-36642/

John Delaney has confirmed to setanta.com that Finn Harps would be next in line if a Premier Division place opens up.

The FAI Chief Executive was speaking at the announcement of Newstalk becoming a sponsor of the League of Ireland on Thursday when he explained the structure of the new ten-team Premier Division.

While the licensing committee still have time to make their final decision on who will make the grade for the top flight, a number of clubs have already applied for one of those ten spots.

Drogheda United are still in court trying to free themselves from examinership and settle outstanding debts, but their long-term future in the league has been igniting much debate recently.

If The Boynesiders fail to meet the demands of the licensing committee, then they could drop down to either the First Division or the Newstalk A Championship.

However, the team that would replace them would be the last relegated club from the Premier Division, which is Finn Harps - depending on whether they are granted a licence themselves.

"Some clubs have applied for a Premier Division licence, but I think a lot of them are waiting to see what happens with the Drogheda situation," Delaney told setanta.com in an exclusive interview.

"Drogheda will discover over the next couple of days what the court's decision is and then they will have to see if they meet the criteria set out by the licensing committee to stay in the Premier Division.

"If they don't, and that is a if at the moment, various clubs are waiting to see if they can become a representative of the Premier Division instead.

"If any of the clubs that are currently in the Premier Division don't make it through, then the first offer will go to the last relegated club, who would be Finn Harps.

"Obviously if Finn Harps don't meet the requirements set out by the licensing committee, then it would be offered down again to the next club. Any First Division club that have applied for a Premier Division will have to wait for the relegated clubs to be sorted out first."
    I love Finn Harps I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

have Mervue been accepted into the league instead of Kildare or are 1st Division licenses being sorted out?

if a team is not given a licence then Kildare will stay in the division as long as they are granted one themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pat's have signed Jack Lester from Galway Utd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

monkey9 wrote: »
    Pat's have signed Jack Lester from Galway Utd

To fill the large gap created by Mikey Keanes exit.

http://www.corkcityfc.ie/main.php

Mark McNulty resigns with city.:)

Colin O' Brien is retiring though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Trilla wrote: »
    Heard a rumour that Keegan from Drogs could be on his way to Bohs (their status permitting)

No longer a rumour. Signed along with Shelley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Faz Kuduzuzuzuzzuic is signing for CCFC today. I'll be back later with the bells and whistles.

One good thing about this though is that it will piss off the bitter Shels brigade all the more :)

What will? The fact that you are signing players and management from Drogheda? A club you all hated so much....

Give my regards to Connor..... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Whens the league starting up again? any links to fixtures lads? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Licenses will need to be awarded first. I reckon fictures to be announced about 15 february ish.

Licences are being doled out on 18th February.

Fixtures? Sure no panic is there? :rolleyes:

FAI reject Cobh's ground selling plan

Monday, 26 January 2009 22:12
    Cobh Ramblers have been handed a blow with the news that the FAI have rejected their plan to sell St Colman's Park to the organisation, who would then lease it back to the club.
    The club's members had voted to put the proposal to the FAI in order to help them clear their debts and attain financial stability, but the FAI have been unable to assist.
    The FAI's board came to the decision that it could not provide financial assistance to any club involved in the League of Ireland as it could assist them in obtaining a license.

However, - they did agree to look at a financial solution to keep the club in football post the licensing process.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0126/cobh.html

Looks like Cobh plan for survival has fallen through. I hope they'll pull through though.

The FAI's board came to the decision that it could not provide financial assistance to any club involved in the League of Ireland as it could assist them in obtaining a license

:eek:

Fúcking hypocritical cúnting geefúcks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Trilla wrote: »
    Whens the league starting up again? any links to fixtures lads? thanks

www.extratime.ie has preseason friendly fixtures listed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement