Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI Close Season Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2008-09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

According to 11-a-side Alan Reynolds is to be the next Drogs manager.:eek:

According to 11-a-side Alan Reynolds is to be the next Drogs manager.:eek:

According to todays Mirror; Alan Reynolds, Pat Scully, Jim Crawford and Paul Cook are in the running, with one of them to be announced as manager on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Joey Ndo signed, will fill straight in for T.Heary on the treatment table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Rediculous signing.

I cannot wait til yous go bust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Ian Bermingham to Pats/Galway/Fingal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

From RTE
    Cook could be set for Rovers return
    Sunday, 1 February 2009

Sligo Rovers fans have launched an ambitious scheme to boost the club's budget for the 2009 season that could see Paul Cook return as manager of the club.

Cook resigned last Friday after a meeting with the Sligo management committee with financial constraints highlighted as the factor behind his decision.

The club's original budget for the year was rejected by the FAI over worries it could leave the Bit o'Red in financial difficulties over the season.

Rovers then proposed a new budget, which was accepted by the FAI, but left Cook with only 14 senior players and without sufficient funds to sign more.

With his team facing a league, European and Setanta Sports Cup campaign, the 41-year-old decided he couldn't work under the conditions.

However, talks in the last 48 hours between Cook and the club look to have changed the situation. The Sligo supporters have mounted a campaign to raise €60,000 by 14 February to increase the money available to the Liverpudlian.

The FAI have agreed that any money added before the start of the season can be accommodated in the team budget and subsequently would allow Cook to secure more players for his squad.

It remains to be seen if the supporters can reach the target that could see Cook return.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Rediculous signing.

I cannot wait til yous go bust.

We are bust. Truly wish you had gone out of business a few years ago.

As far as the Ndo signing goes I refuse to believe that he is on more than 6-800 a week at most which if Fenlon can get the most out of him will be a bargain considering it was 2k+ he was looking for to leave Pats. Also the FAI have toughened up on licensing so it would appear we are below the 65% wage cap.

Shamrock Rovers defender Barry Ferguson has been forced to retire from playing due to a serious hip injury.

Sligo Rovers Seamus Coleman has completed a medical at Everton and is expected to sign tomorrow.

http://www.extratime.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

bohsman wrote: »
    Joey Ndo signed, will fill straight in for T.Heary on the treatment table.

I've been told by a few people that his work permit ran out at the end of the season.

Do you know what the story is there, bohsman?

a) its easy to get a work permit for sport in Ireland so may just have been renewned
    b) hes been here 5 years so qualifies for citizenship so may have applied for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

bohsman wrote: »
    a) its easy to get a work permit for sport in Ireland so may just have been renewned
    b) hes been here 5 years so qualifies for citizenship so may have applied for that.

Correct.

He was on 1200 a week with pats and apartment and use of club car.

Best player in the league by a mile when arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Alan Matthews Still not paid :rolleyes:

http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/02/03/LOI-Cork-set-to-finalise-Matthews-case/gnid-38492/

Cork City are on the verge of ending the drawn-out saga of paying compensation to former manager Alan Matthews.

According to the Evening Echo, a settlement fee has been agreed and it is now just a matter of the funds being wired through to the Dubliner.

Matthews was in charge of The Leesiders for one year, during which time he won the Setanta Sports Cup, reached the semi-finals of the eircom League of Ireland Cup, and finished fifth in the Premier Division.

The club entered examinership in the second part of last season and major cut-backs were needed with some of their best players moving on, but Matthews stayed in his role during that difficult period.

Tom Coughlan then came in to buy the club and it looked as though a new era would start with Matthews leading it before he lost his job. Since then he has been seeking compensation and that looks to be on its way to being resolved.

"I have given an instruction to our bank to make the cash transfer," Coughlan is quoted as saying in the Echo.

Also, er, wtf?
    The ambitious chairman also confirmed that three Brazilian youngsters will be arriving this week for a 10-day trial and a chance to impress manager Paul Doolin.

Mathias Kullstrom, Gunter Silagallis, and Levis Reid have all been recently training with the Munster side with the hope of winning a contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Wow, it was in the Echo, so their timeframe must be accurate. Neil Mellor is in Cork for talks as well did you hear?

Re the second part, we had Brazilians on trial as well a few years ago. Turns out the two of them worked in a meat rendering plant in Co Galway, so its a complete non story for now.

Alan Matthews to be announced as Drogs manager tomorrow, got a text off a very reliable source with links to Drogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Alan Matthews to be announced as Drogs manager tomorrow, got a text off a very reliable source with links to Drogs.

He'll have to put a squad together fairly fast. Do Drogheda still have any players from last season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

coleman excellent player. will be ireland full back by the next campaign imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

gimmick wrote: »
    Re the second part, we had Brazilians on trial as well a few years ago. Turns out the two of them worked in a meat rendering plant in Co Galway, so its a complete non story for now.
    They've quite a few lads on trial at the moment, apparently:
    Doolin told Cork’s official website: “We have two Latvians, an English player, a Finnish player and an Austrian player training with us at the moment. There are two central defenders, two midfielders and a striker in at the moment, and we have another right sided wide player coming in tomorrow as well.

“One of the players is a current full international for his country, and he has been playing a good standard of football up to now.

“We also have the three Brazilians coming in tomorrow; a defender, a midfielder and a striker, one of whom has been capped many times at a number of underage levels for Brazil.

“It’s hard to know until you get to see them in action, as this league might be different to what they are used to, but they come with a good pedigree and I am looking forward to seeing them in training.”
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/eircomleague/news.asp?n=35744

John Murphy leaves Pats. :D

He'll have to put a squad together fairly fast. Do Drogheda still have any players from last season?

At least my source was right.:cool: Not sure if they do, actually they should be all on free as Drogheda Utd breached their contracts afaik. Most likely going to be a team of youths, with a lad I know most likely going from 3rd choice keeper at United Park to 1st choice this season.

• Advertisement

from the Indo:

City cough up for Mathews

THE long-running battle between Cork City and Alan Mathews over owed monies appears to have ended after the club's chairman, Tom Coughlan, stated that he has paid the former City boss in full, including a €50,000 bonus for winning the Setanta Cup, WRITES NEIL AHERN.

It is unclear whether the back-payment was paid or agreed upon before the January 31 licensing deadline, but Cork have now paid all owed wages and bonuses.

"I have given an instruction to our bank to make the cash transfer," confirmed Coughlan. "The settlement... will be paid up."

-

©Independent.ie

According to the Bohs forum, in todays Irish Mail:
    It states that no wage cuts have been finalised by the players yet.
    Their budget has been rejected by the FAI twice and the auditors haven't signed off on last years accounts.
    He also states that there is unrest between players/management and the board. Plus a loan of €3.2million to be paid.

Good news all round.:p

Apparently Turners Cross is now the first all seater stadium in Ireland. I have my doubts. I think what he may have meant is the first fully roofed all seater?

One way or other, the ground is looking great, and easily the best ground in the LOI today.

More Cork propaganda.

Tolka Park is fully seated.

Apparently Turners Cross is now the first all seater stadium in Ireland. I have my doubts. I think what he may have meant is the first fully roofed all seater?
    Possibly. But then inaccurate statements such as the above are par for the course as far as the Echo is concerned.

It does look pretty impressive alright – hopefully we’ll see more of the same around the rest of the country in the coming years (I won’t be holding my breath though).

If rumours are true, and City are moving out of Turners Cross in the medium term, then the MFA are left with a white elephant. It would eb a great day for football in Munster if that shower disappeared off the edge of the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

that will be Gort - it was only a matter of time before soccer clubs went sniffing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Des wrote: »
    More Cork propaganda.

Tolka Park is fully seated.

Hate to say it but your right.

Heres a link to a list of stadiums in ireland. There are a few all seaters in the list.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/europe/countries/ireland.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Mail saying Fenlon still wants to keep Burns, O'Donnell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

relatively happy with the appointment of matthews altough i have a feeling it will be Deja Vu regarding the style of football.

also vincent hoey has stepped down as charmain, handing the reins to jim mcArdle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Best player in the league by a mile when arsed.

Yeah and it's not even close. In his last season for Shels he was the best player I've seen in the LOI

Coleman's move to Everton has been confirmed:
    Everton manager David Moyes has confirmed the low-key acquisition of Republic of Ireland under-21 right back Seamus Coleman from Sligo Rovers.

Coleman had been linked with West Ham United, Birmingham City and Ipswich Town since the League of Ireland season ended in November.
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/news.asp?n=35763

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=4775&headline=St

Pats to sign 2 loanees with a view to permanent move.

We like a real club now using that loophole in the transfer rules to get players in, i feel so warm.

2 more loanees to join by end of week, pesch using his contacts seemingly.

Btw pesch is now his offical (i cant spell his full) name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Cristian Nuñez López* on trial at BFC. http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/1234/

Sounds like the kind of name everyone should know :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Drogs sign Steve Williams and Alan McNally.

Also linked with Ian Bermingham, Conor Kenna and Brian King.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Stevie Williams will always be an absolute hero, hope he does well at Drogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

redzerdrog wrote: »
    relatively happy with the appointment of matthews altough i have a feeling it will be Deja Vu regarding the style of football.

also vincent hoey has stepped down as charmain, handing the reins to jim mcArdle.

And, according to the club website, we have a 9 year old wunderkid in the Drogs senior squad: http://droghedaunited.ie/player/index/id/62 :D

2009 promises to be an interesting year for us.

Slash/ED wrote: »
    Stevie Williams will always be an absolute hero, hope he does well at Drogs
    Apart in games directly affecting Shels, which will be every game next season hopefully, because if Drogheda end up in the PD, I'll never darken the doorway of another LoI ground again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Apart in games directly affecting Shels, which will be every game next season hopefully, because if Drogheda end up in the PD, I'll never darken the doorway of another LoI ground again.
    You've done it now Des, they're going to do everything possible to keep them up now...! :D

Pre-season starts this evening for Shels :)

Friendly against Phoenix FC in Finglas tonight at 8

Can't wait to see the Reds again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Rovers play Newry City tonight up there. Im not going :(

Will most definitely be popping along to the game away v Wexford Youths, Sat Feb 21st kick off 6pm

Waterford beat CCFC on Saturday 0-1 in Bishopstown. City had a mostly trialist side playing. Mick Devine captained Waterford and will continue to do so for the season.

Can't wait to see the Reds again.

Don't get too attached to them.

Just in case Drogs get a premier license, like. :p

stovelid wrote: »
    Don't get too attached to them.

Just in case Drogs get a premier license, like. :p

I know :mad:

We're due to play them up in Drogheda in a friendly, the fúck am I going to that giving them my money.

Dave Rogers, Mickey Collins and Michael Daly all signed for Dundalk.

Richie Baker returns to Tolka - good move for Shels.

In other news, Pat Dolan's been talking again:
    Who is responsible for marketing [the League]. Who is responsible for running it? Everyone is comfortable to go back to the old LOI and say ’oh let’s be part-time’, in a modern world when no one is going to take football like that seriously.
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/loi/news.asp?n=35805

Maybe Pat would like to explain where the money can come from to support a full-time set-up?

djpbarry wrote: »
    Dave Rogers
    My contempt for that excuse for a man is unbelievable.
    Maybe Pat would like to explain where the money can come from to support a full-time set-up?

In fairness to him, WHO IS marketing the league, WHO IS running it?

Clowns, from what I can tell.

Incompetent clowns, in a permanent circus in Abbotstown, but shure a win tomorrow will gloss over all the problems shure to be shure.

shure a win tomorrow will gloss over all the problems shure to be shure.

STFU Des, you're wrecking my buzz.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Richie Baker returns to Tolka - good move for Shels.

Yeh, I look forward to his petulance again. :rolleyes:

For once Dolan is talking a bit of sence. If Drogheda and/or Cork get into the Prem this season, the league is once and for all the jokeshop every barstooler has labelled it as. :mad:

The deadline for licences was meant to be 30 November, then it was 31 January, then Drogheda got an extra week and it seems Athlone and Sligo still haven't sorted out their problems. :rolleyes:

Why the fvck do we bother? :mad:

Then Delaney is saying he's brought in new rules to deal with clubs skiving off in to examinership when the FAI already have all the powers in the world to punish them as they see fit. :rolleyes:

A complete and utter shambles compounded by Delaney and Gavin's lies......

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Then Delaney is saying he's brought in new rules to deal with clubs skiving off in to examinership when the FAI already have all the powers in the world to punish them as they see fit. :rolleyes:
    I'm not sure about that; as far as I am aware, they have to stick to the rules of the participation agreement. Otherwise they could punish clubs in any way they see fit for absolutely anything they like.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Yeh, I look forward to his petulance again. :rolleyes:

For once Dolan is talking a bit of sence. If Drogheda and/or Cork get into the Prem this season, the league is once and for all the jokeshop every barstooler has labelled it as. :mad:

The deadline for licences was meant to be 30 November, then it was 31 January, then Drogheda got an extra week and it seems Athlone and Sligo still haven't sorted out their problems. :rolleyes:

Why the fvck do we bother? :mad:

A complete and utter shambles compounded by Delaney and Gavin's lies......

His rant started on how Doyle was the last and best player to ever come out of the EL. Noone else will ever come out etc and its all the FAIs fault.

Best to let the Cork lads explain how Doyle got out of ireland ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement