Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI Close Season Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2008-09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Good news for the bitter Shels brigade. It is looking increasingly more likely that CCFC are going to be relegated as things stand at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

gimmick wrote: »
    Good news for the bitter Shels brigade. It is looking increasingly more likely that CCFC are going to be relegated as things stand at the moment.
    What makes you say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

CiaranC wrote: »
    What makes you say that?

Well for a start, the money they eventually paid to Matthews has cleared them out, and there are cheques bouncing all over the cross at the moment.

If Cork and Drogheda are relegated, justice will have been done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Was listenin to Dermo Keely and John Gill in the pub after the game last night and some of the stories about Cork, Athlone and the like were unbelievable. The league is such a sham it's ridiculous.

I've been away too long.

Its not all a sham. Some have actually learned lessons and put their house in order. Its a sham if those who havent are not being punished.

Ive been watching Cork sign player after player on full time contracts since they came out of administration, business as usual. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If Athlone get a licence then it makes a farce of the whole system tbh.

CiaranC wrote: »
    If Cork and Drogheda are relegated, justice will have been done.

You see, this is the problem, people should not lump Drogs situation in with Cork Citys situation. They are completely different. Drogs knew the money was not there, but continued to spend on in the hopes that the stadium would come good (even though it was known for a long time beofrehand that their proposal, rightly or wrongly, was rocky to say the least). They also felt that if they could crack Europe the money would flow in. Reminds me of another club in the not so distant past.

Cork City on the other hand were driven into an abyss by an investment group who now themselevs are in recievership.

The major difference is that Drogheda continued signing players on expensive deals right up to the last transfer window. Cork City, on the other hand, once trouble was seen, they tried to rectify the matter straight away by selling players, and trying to renegotiate contracts.

All the above is moot anyway, as it looks like we are going down. Honetsly cannot say I am too bothered...

You see, this is the problem, people should not lump Drogs situation in with Cork Citys situation. They are completely different. Drogs knew the money was not there, but continued to spend on in the hopes that the stadium would come good (even though it was known for a long time beofrehand that their proposal, rightly or wrongly, was rocky to say the least). They also felt that if they could crack Europe the money would flow in.
    Cork City on the other hand were driven into an abyss by an investment group who now themselevs are in recievership.
    Poppycock.

The owners of both clubs, it doesn't matter who those owners are or were, spent money is a reckless fashion.

It does not matter one jot if the owners were some rich american, an investment company or the fans, if the money was spent recklessly, the clubs should be punished. New owners or not.
    Reminds me of another club in the not so distant past.

And we were punished.

• Advertisement

There were no warning signs for City until it was too late. For certain other clubs the warning signs were there for all too see, but nothing was done, apart from spending more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pat's are playing a friendly next Wednesday against a Chelsea XI at Richmond Pk. They'll just be reserves and youth, i think!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Pat's are playing a friendly next Wednesday against a Chelsea XI at Richmond Pk. They'll just be reserves and youth, i think!!

What do you mean "you think" :D

Chelsea are hardly going to send a full strength team over to Dublin for a friendly at this stage of the season.

Actually, maybe Big Phil had plans to do exactly this, so they sacked his ass :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

There were no warning signs for City until it was too late. For certain other clubs the warning signs were there for all too see, but nothing was done, apart from spending more.

To be honest Gimmick, you might say that any club relying on speculative investment to keep the club in expensive full-time professionals on the back of near-terminal support levels (and that's even for Cork crowds) shouldn't need warning signs.

I like the fixtures with Cork, and think they bring a lot to the premier but clubs have to be stamped down on or the league is even more fucked.

You see, this is the problem, people should not lump Drogs situation in with Cork Citys situation. They are completely different. Drogs knew the money was not there, but continued to spend on in the hopes that the stadium would come good (even though it was known for a long time beofrehand that their proposal, rightly or wrongly, was rocky to say the least). They also felt that if they could crack Europe the money would flow in. Reminds me of another club in the not so distant past.

I see your point and its a valid one to an extent.

But if clubs can do whatever they want and get away with it, it makes them more attractive to the likes of Arkaga. Speculative investment in a club is much less likely in the face of harsh punishment if the speculation doesnt pay off.

Des wrote: »
    What do you mean "you think" :D

Chelsea are hardly going to send a full strength team over to Dublin for a friendly at this stage of the season.

Actually, maybe Big Phil had plans to do exactly this, so they sacked his ass :pac:

I meant, i think it's the youths as well and not just the reserves!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Since Arkaga have gone and Cork walked away from most of their debts, Cork have gone out and signed loads of players on full-time contracts and their cheques have apparently being bouncing.

Who's fault is that?????? :confused:

And there is nothing bitter in wanting all clubs treated equally, it's not just Shels fans who can see the blatant favouritism of the FAI......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/sport/soccer/1400-seats-to-replace-terrace-1636382.html?service=Print

How rediculous is that? They'll help Drogs obtain a licence but won't help Cobh:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

SantryRed wrote: »
    http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/sport/soccer/1400-seats-to-replace-terrace-1636382.html?service=Print

How rediculous is that? They'll help Drogs obtain a licence but won't help Cobh:rolleyes:
    You're not really comparing like-with-like. The FAI already own United Park, whereas Cobh were asking them to buy St. Colman's. There's a pretty big difference there.

I don't think so to be honest. They're actively helping Drogs obtain a licence. Why else would they want to put seats in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

SantryRed wrote: »
    I don't think so to be honest. They're actively helping Drogs obtain a licence. Why else would they want to put seats in?

Bit embarrasing for the FAI to own a stadium that doesnt meet their own criteria.

• Advertisement

Why didn't they do this years ago so?

It's rediculous. They just want to make sure the teams that should be in the Premier next year because of league positions are.

Regulations only came in 2 years ago when Drogheda were planning on moving, its only now that it makes sense to do the ground up. That said Im surprised Drogheda even want a prem license, surely rebuilding in the first division would make more sense.

The cheek of Bohs fans questioning Cork tbh :D

Pot, meet kettle. We both have feck all money.

In other news, allegedly Torpedo Franchise will be in the PD next year.

I, and many others, have suspected that they were told this months ago, hence their buying pattern this close season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

What are the estimates for the multiple by which Chelsea fans will outnumber Pat's supporters at the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

SectionF wrote: »
    What are the estimates for the multiple by which Chelsea fans will outnumber Pat's supporters at the game?

Its a bunch of kids vs ehh another bunch of kids :D

Season ticket holders in for free, if theres 2000 at i would be happy. Its 1500 more than would be at a pre season vs Wexford or UCD.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its a bunch of kids vs ehh another bunch of kids :D

Season ticket holders in for free, if theres 2000 at i would be happy. Its 1500 more than would be at a pre season vs Wexford or UCD.

Are they?? I didn't know that. I already rang up today and ordered my ticket. Ah, i suppose it's only a tenner!
    I'm really keeping the club in business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Are they?? I didn't know that. I already rang up today and ordered my ticket. Ah, i suppose it's only a tenner!
    I'm really keeping the club in business.

we have a website too ;)

http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2843

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

djpbarry wrote: »
    Richie Baker returns to Tolka - good move for Shels.

That's probably the most depressing thing I ever read.

Slash/ED wrote: »
    Happy_972.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

The first time I see Baker not trying he'll be getting so much abuse off me he'll be climbing into the stand to get me. Cannot stand him.

• Advertisement

The Crawley-Baker Axis reunited. God almighty I was almost loving going broke because we got rid of those people. This is a dark dark time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Had forgotten about Crawley. Despise the guy. Forsyth and Barrett are huge losses though. I'd worry for our chances now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

The Crawley-Baker Axis reunited. God almighty I was almost loving going broke because we got rid of those people. This is a dark dark time.

Fenlon ordered Creepy to play that ball all the time, if Dermo doesn't, we'll be be safe - from that passage of play at least! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

ah richie and dessie baker, dessie was the cloest ireland ever got to a league of ireland pinup boy.

Delighted, was terrified he was going to sign for Bohs there for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

anladmór wrote: »
    ah richie and dessie baker, dessie was the cloest ireland ever got to a league of ireland pinup boy.
    Don't think Robbie Doyle would agree with that!

The Crawley-Baker Axis reunited.
    Thanks for nicking my line :eek:
    SectionF wrote: »
    Don't think Robbie Doyle would agree with that!

:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

:D Happy to oblige.

Paul Cook has apparently returned to Sligo - good to hear, assuming associated problems have been resolved.

Thanks for nicking my line :eek:

Ah but I penned it originally in Red Inc a few years ago I'm fairly sure, must have subconsciously stuck with you ;)

• Advertisement

Just read on the Ultras forum that the 2009 fixture list is supposed to be out on Monday?

Football Association of Ireland

February 13th, 2009

League of Ireland fixture list to be released

The fixture list for the 2009 League of Ireland season will be released next Monday, February 16th.

The fixture list will be published on the official League of Ireland website, at 5pm.

Hey baby, it's a Georgie Porgie :rolleyes:

http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10365~1555921,00.html
    O'Callaghan's Contract Cancelled
    Posted on: Fri 13 Feb 2009

Tranmere Rovers have today cancelled the contract of midfielder George O'Callaghan by mutual consent.

O'Callaghan joined Rovers on a two year contract from Cork City last summer but made just six starts out of a possible 38 appearances for the First Team and has not been involved in the selection since October.

Manager Ronnie Moore said: "It hasn't worked out for George at Tranmere and this is the best outcome for everyone."

Back to Cork then.

What an absolute waster of a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lmao...waster is right

Manager Ronnie Moore said: "It hasn't worked out for George at Tranmere and this is the best outcome for everyone."

LOL. Manager-speak for sling your hook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

a return to leeside and a falling out with Paul Doolin in a matter of weeks is on the cards then.

The training ground has a new gate though, Doolin will have to show him where it is this time

Back to Cork then.

I would be shocked if he ever plays football for anyone again tbh.

And for once a bittyer Shels fan is correct, an absolute waster he is. Best player in the LOI in 2004/5, but never had the corrct attitude.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Just read on the Ultras forum that the 2009 fixture list is supposed to be out on Monday?

Football Association of Ireland

February 13th, 2009

League of Ireland fixture list to be released

The fixture list for the 2009 League of Ireland season will be released next Monday, February 16th.

The fixture list will be published on the official League of Ireland website, at 5pm.

More fúckwittery from the abbotstown circus, but I suppose we've come to expect it.

They haven't decided on licences yet ffs, how the fúck can these unctious idiots possibly draw up a fixture list, when the teams on the list are unknown?

Gobshítery of the highest order.

Once again, proof that they couldn't give a fiddlers fart about the league, and just treat it with utter contempt.

Imagine the outcry on this message board if the EPL acted like this?

Had a quick look at the FAI site to see where that may have come from, and can't find it. Looking at the front page of the site, you'd be hard pushed to realize there is any link between the FAI and the league.

stovelid wrote: »
    Had a quick look at the FAI site to see where that may have come from, and can't find it. Looking at the front page of the site, you'd be hard pushed to realize there is any link between the FAI and the league.

In a further act of wankery fúckism, the abbotstown circus official League site is still named after e****m.

Check out www.e****mloi.ie

look at the pitucre on the main page ffs

Dolan in a fúcking SPA Scarf, and Delaney in a Derry one :eek:

It's a fairly recent picture too, with the snow and all
    gpnbyzzxjtgp3d

edit : the announcement was sent as a media release - it's kosher, but don't expect it to appear on any circus related website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

They haven't decided on licences yet ffs, how the fúck can these unctious idiots possibly draw up a fixture list, when the teams on the list are unknown?

it almost indicates they have decided on the licences.....

it almost indicates they have decided on the licences.....

There are going to be appeals

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement