Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI Close Season Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2008-09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I may be alone in this, but I love Georgie. Always great entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

stovelid wrote: »
    Had a quick look at the FAI site to see where that may have come from, and can't find it.
    It was in a press release.
    Looking at the front page of the site, you'd be hard pushed to realize there is any link between the FAI and the league.

Just as when looking at an international on television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Slash/ED wrote: »
    I may be alone in this, but I love Georgie. Always great entertainment.

Id love to see him at Bohs, took the banter thrown his way during the Bohs Cork game in Dalymount brilliantly last season applauding the Bohs fans at the end.

bohsman wrote: »
    Id love to see him at Bohs, took the banter thrown his way during the Bohs Cork game in Dalymount brilliantly last season applauding the Bohs fans at the end.
    That's right. And there's not too many opposition players you can say that about!
    I've always had a sneaking regard for George. Nice to see a player who can turn on a bit of magic now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Both Cork City and Drogheda will be playing in the premier next season I am told. While obviously I am delighted about CCFC if true, it is a bit of a farce that the 2 worst run clubs in the division last year hold their status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

then that's me finished with this league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Des wrote: »

There's always the Leinster Senior League Des! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gimmick wrote: »
    Both Cork City and Drogheda will be playing in the premier next season I am told. While obviously I am delighted about CCFC if true, it is a bit of a farce that the 2 worst run clubs in the division last year hold their status.

Mmm, an understatement there methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

We took our 10 point deduction.

We have paid pack all arrears to players AFAIK.

What more do you want Shylock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

gimmick wrote: »
    Both Cork City and Drogheda will be playing in the premier next season I am told.

Jesus. I give up at this stage, I really do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Bye.

Pragmatic decision. Two big clubs the league can ill-afford to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

SectionF wrote: »
    Whats big about Drogheda? They could have gone bust and noone would have notice. A nothing club who went on a spending spree to oblivion and got away with it. Theres already a proper football club in that area - Dundalk.

If true, its ridiculous that these two clubs are playing in the premier next season.

How far is Dundalk from Drogheda?

How far is Dundalk from Drogheda?

Google is your friend

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Google is your friend

One of the main reasons given for people not following the league is that there are no clubs on their doorsteps, unfortunately google wont bring them any closer.

One of the main reasons given for people not following the league is that there are no clubs on their doorsteps, unfortunately google wont bring them any closer.

True, that excuse is bandied about a little bit.

I dunno though, losing one of two clubs that are within a half hour's drive of one another (and both inhabiting a total catchment area of 140k people) wouldn't be a bad thing from a business perspective - if full professionalism is the aim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

All due respect, Drogs are not a big club. Successful recently unquestionably....big club, not at all.

True, that excuse is bandied about a little bit.

I dunno though, losing one of two clubs that are within a half hour's drive of one another (and both inhabiting a total catchment area of 140k people) wouldn't be a bad thing from a business perspective - if full professionalism is the aim.
    Good derby rivals.
    It's not as if they're Sporting Franchise, or UCD.

• Advertisement

I would have thought rivalries between Dundalk and Drogheda go beyond football, theres just no way you can lump them together and claim you have a bigger catchment area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

We took our 10 point deduction.

We have paid pack all arrears to players AFAIK.

What more do you want Shylock?
    To have settled the arrears by November 31st 2008 as it was part of the rules, failure to adhere to would see demotion. Or so the rules went...

Good derby rivals.
    It's not as if they're Sporting Franchise, or UCD.
    I would have thought rivalries between Dundalk and Drogheda go beyond football, theres just no way you can lump them together and claim you have a bigger catchment area.

Well, first of all this discussion has kicked off because it seems the powers that be will not be enforcing rules which supposedly demanded the non appearance of Drogheda in the top division for this season.

I have no problem with the fact that the two clubs represent different communities and enjoy a healthy rivalry etc, etc. HOWEVER, my point is simply that it should not be too surprising to have seen both clubs struggle in different ways over the past few years, as the numbers don't add up in terms of population when what is being attempted is the running of two professional football clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Well, first of all this discussion has kicked off because it seems the powers that be will not be enforcing rules which supposedly demanded the non appearance of Drogheda in the top division for this season.
    Where is it written that Drogs should be demoted (genuinely curious, if anyone can answer)?
    HOWEVER, my point is simply that it should not be too surprising to have seen both clubs struggle in different ways over the past few years, as the numbers don't add up in terms of population when what is being attempted is the running of two professional football clubs.
    A catchment area of 140k should be well capable of supporting two clubs.

djpbarry wrote: »
    A catchment area of 140k should be well capable of supporting two clubs.

Aye, the catchment area argument is slightly bogus - as is the too many clubs for Dublin argument - or at least the four historical clubs.

The reason that clubs shouldn't currently go professional is because of the paucity of fans in said areas.

Obviously, this sounds like splitting hairs, but when the issue is to do with a lack of fans, clubs could stop blowing money on stupid wages and try (with the F.A.I) to build up crowds /attract junior fans long-term in their community; the population argument, however, is more final and pessimistic, as in you are saying that Dublin or Louth could never support more than one club which isn't strictly true.

Some of the Dublin clubs have had very big gates in the past, even as recently as the 90's and 00s. Clearly the problem is the lack of interest in the game and not the size of the catchment area.

Shelbourne attain PD Licence

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=1119

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Good luck lads. All the best.

I guess this means you might keep following the league, DES;)

Good luck lads. All the best.

I guess this means you might keep following the league, DES;)

What?

It doesn't mean Shels are going to be in the PD.

I'm sure your little franchise got a PD Licence too.

Fifteen clubs got them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Fingal only got a FD licence. Minnows

stovelid wrote: »
    Obviously, this sounds like splitting hairs, but when the issue is to do with a lack of fans, clubs could stop blowing money on stupid wages and try (with the F.A.I) to build up crowds /attract junior fans long-term in their community; the population argument, however, is more final and pessimistic, as in you are saying that Dublin or Louth could never support more than one club which isn't strictly true.
    Absolutely; agree 100%. I've argued in the past that a city the size of Dublin could quite easily support a number of clubs. I presented some figures on a similar subject here, for the purpose of comparison.

What?

It doesn't mean Shels are going to be in the PD.

I'm sure your little franchise got a PD Licence too.

Fifteen clubs got them.

Just realising that now. Excuse the newbie.:o

• Advertisement

The full list:
    List of FAI Club Licenses:

Premier
    Bohemians
    Bray Wanderers
    Cork City
    Derry City
    Drogheda United
    Dundalk
    Finn Harps
    Galway United
    Monaghan United
    Shamrock Rovers
    Shelbourne
    Sligo Rovers
    St Patrick’s Athletic
    UCD
    Waterford United

First
    Athlone Town
    Kildare County
    Limerick FC
    Longford Town
    Mervue United
    Sporting Fingal
    Wexford Youths

Newstalk ‘A’ Championship
    Cobh Ramblers
    Salthill Devon
    Tullamore Town
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/loi/news.asp?n=35873

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Töpher wrote: »
    To have settled the arrears by November 31st 2008 as it was part of the rules, failure to adhere to would see demotion. Or so the rules went...

They actually changed it to the 31st January this year, hence why the licenses and fixtures are so late this year.;)

lol, why did torpedo only get a FD Licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

No. It means the ground is of the standard to play in the premier division. IT's just really the name of the licence

One look at all the lists should be enough to convince everybody that the name of your license has zero bearing on the actual league you should be playing in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Ok thanks ... just saw 15 teams getting the premier licence and thought they were resizing the league or something ... Shels will have to battle it out in the first again this year so ... on a side note how come drogheda are not being regulated based on the financial troubles they got into ... not too dissimilar to what happened to shels who were demoted ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Maybe they only applied for that one?

I dont know, you try and build bridges but i guess shelscrashnburn dont have it in their hearts:(

Ger O Brien gone to Derry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

CiaranC wrote: »
    Ger O Brien gone to Derry

That's a surprise, didn't he play near 100 matches for Rovers over a couple of seasons?

That's a surprise, didn't he play near 100 matches for Rovers over a couple of seasons?
    Yeah, hes a big loss for us. Word is that we have 2 or more trialists from Scotland atm who play at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

So does this mean that Kildare and Cobh swap divisions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

George O'Callaghan to Dundalk?:eek:

George O'Callaghan to Dundalk?:eek:

Is this true?

lol

A spoofer signs a spoofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

We signed Liam burns as well :) not a bad team at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

O'Donnell also very close to signing for Dundalk. We could have a very strong team this year. Should avoid the play-offs and maybe with a bit of luck push on.

Dundalk with a manager and team that replicates Bohs 2007, the dullest year in Dalymount recent history (though O'Donnell is nice to watch and we should have kept him). Enjoy!

Dundalk with a manager and team that replicates Bohs 2008, the dullest year in Dalymount recent history. Enjoy!

Bohs won the league in 2008.

Dull?

• Advertisement

Thanks Des. 2007. See... I'm glad you stuck around!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement