Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI Close Season Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2008-09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

stovelid wrote: »
    holyfc.jpg

:p

Funny and all as that is, I cannot fathom why supporters of other clubs are not up in arms over this?

Especially Rovers tbh.

I can understand fans of SPA, Fungal and others not making a peep, they'll hope to benefit from the arseholery in the FAI in the future when they run themselves into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Des wrote: »
    I can understand fans of SPA, Fungal and others not making a peep, they'll hope to benefit from the arseholery in the FAI in the future when they run themselves into the ground.

That's right yeah. . . . .

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Funny and all as that is, I cannot fathom why supporters of other clubs are not up in arms over this?

Especially Rovers tbh.

I was only poking fun, dude.

My previous posts vouch for the fact that I want a crackdown on clubs who cheat, break the cap and live beyond their means, too.

Sometimes we're a bit hard on the average fan though. If it's not a member's club, they often have little say in what the owners do, outside of boycotting the club or taking it over themselves. We're all in agreement that if some clubs refuse to reform, then the F.A.I need to overrule the errant clubs and provide the vision (and strict, across-the-board punishment) if any progress is to be made.

If we are being failed at the very top level, what chance is there of compliance below?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

And then Pats going over th 65% at the start of last season, what happened a €1,000 fine or something, when the FAI said there would be huge penalties.
    Huge penalties if they go over the wage cap over the course of a full season, no?
    How can you put Pats in the same category as Fingal? One has ‘cut their cloth’, the other is quite clearly fudging the 65% rule in some way.

Also, the Abbotstown Circus of Clowns hits back at G Farrelly

This is absolutely laughable by the way.

Just read it.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/1320/
    The FAI has hit back at claims made by former Cork City midfielder Gareth Farrelly in a national newspaper today that the association has failed to support him in his bid to recover unpaid wages from the Cork club.

Farrelly has initiated legal proceedings against Cork City after having his contract annulled by the club in October last year. The midfielder had not played for the club since the previous May after he was admitted to hospital with a life-threatening stomach injury. Farrelly, who is now back in full training, claims that the club stopped paying him on August 12 after the club applied for examinership. He is now taking Cork City to court, in a bid to have his wages paid up in full, arguing he is entitled to the money under the terms of his contract.

The former Bolton and Bohemians player claims in today's Irish Sun that he has not heard a word from City despite repeated letters from his solicitor. He also claims that the FAI has "refused to get involved", with Farrelly claiming that it falls under the FAI's remit through Club Licensing. The FAI has reacted to the claims by saying in a press release this afternoon that: "Gareth Farrelly’s claim that he could not trust the FAI to resolve the issue of his unpaid wages is unfounded. All players who were due outstanding monies by Cork City FC and followed the club licensing process have received payment in full accordance with the agreements reached between the players, the PFAI and the club. This outcome was achieved following insistence by the FAI club licensing department that Cork City FC deal with these matters."

The FAI statement also adds that: "Gareth Farrelly’s decision to take his dispute over the payment of wages by Cork City FC last season to a national legislative body precluded the Independent Club Licensing Committee from including his case in their decision to award a license to Cork City FC. (FIN 1.04, FAI Club licensing manual)."

The Irish Sun states that Farrelly complained to the Rights Commissioner last month after concluding that the FAI would not act. Farrelly is quoted by the newspaper as saying: “They stopped paying me on August 12 right until the end of my contract. I was let go because they classified me as a non-essential playing member, I had been sick. I wanted to play, I made three attempts to come back and each attempt was declined by the club. The examiner was saying: ‘you’re not being paid so you can’t come back’. When they went back to the High Court to come out of examinership, the examiner appeared to state that my case should be held and heard under the terms of the FAI, which resorted back to the licensing issue.

“Within the High Court, I was classified as a contingent creditor and that, I believe, should be looked upon and covered under the rules of the FAI. But the FAI have not acted on that. As far as I am aware, Cork have ignored all correspondence — they haven’t acknowledged it at all.”

The Irish Sun says Farrelly claims that Cork have stated the problem should be dealt with by the examiner.

Cork City were have been awarded a licence to compete in the Premier Division for the 2009 season - providing that the club pays back wages to three other players — not including Farrelly. Farrelly added to the Irish Sun: "From where I sit now, how can Cork be given a licence? I felt I couldn’t trust the FAI to get it right. And that’s why I had to look at possibly taking legal action.”

It's not known whether Cork City will make a statement with reference to the matter.

It's actually so unbelievable that I need to put it here twice, in case you missed the first time

The FAI statement also adds that: "Gareth Farrelly’s decision to take his dispute over the payment of wages by Cork City FC last season to a national legislative body precluded the Independent Club Licensing Committee from including his case in their decision to award a license to Cork City FC. (FIN 1.04, FAI Club licensing manual)."

What. The. Holy. Fúck?

He took it to court, so it doesn't count toward the licencing.

Are they for fúcking real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

That's just hilarious! Honestly whoever came up with that is a comedic genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

stephen odonnell didnt sign for dundalk , cork came in with a last minute deal and offered a two year contract

Sarge wrote: »
    stephen odonnell didnt sign for dundalk , cork came in with a last minute deal and offered a two year contract

Cork owe money to someone, but are allowed to sign more players?

fúcking shambles of a league lads.

absolute shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

And then Pats going over th 65% at the start of last season, what happened a €1,000 fine or something, when the FAI said there would be huge penalties.

Our owner can do whatever the fcuk he likes with his club and his own money, He can still go down to 125 every week and buy 5000 raffle tickets if he wants.

You may see it as cheating the system, he may see it whatever way he wants too its his club and money.

Not his fault the FAI have a rule for finance that doesnt include philantropy :D

THE IMPORTANT PART.

Fingal can do it too if they want, if they have the money,sorry i mean Gannon has. Its the teams that dont have the money that should be punished or entering into contracts with players and staff they know full well they cant commit too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Cork owe money to someone, but are allowed to sign more players?

fúcking shambles of a league lads.

absolute shambles.
    It really irks me watching Cork signing players to beat the band on fulltime contracts, so soon after examinership and with questions still hanging over what they owe.

How are clubs who are trying to play it right supposed to compete?

But nevermind, I predict Cork will next years biggest 'on the brink of extinction' story, well get to listen to their fans whine they they "had no idea what was going on" and "it was all out of their hands" all over again

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its the teams that don't have the money that should be punished or entering into contracts with players and staff they know full well they cant commit too.

You might say that any club that is using 'philanthropic' cash to pay wages that could never be supported by their actual income generation are entering into contracts that can't 100% guarantee, given the economy.

And that's without considering how clubs like SF can possibly be within the wage cap.

Of course, anybody who is still gambling just thumbs their nose at the other clubs who already taken their medicine. Until it goes pear-shaped and they're on here crying about being shafted.

You might say that any club that is using 'philanthropic' cash to pay wages that could never be supported by their actual income generation are entering into contracts that can't 100% guarantee, given the economy.

And that's without considering how clubs like SF can possibly be within the wage cap.

Of course, anybody who is still gambling just thumbs their nose at the other clubs who already taken their medicine. Until it goes pear-shaped and they're on here crying about being shafted.

I dont think you understand my point, Kelleher and Gannon are millionaires with very very large amounts off money to spend however they want. There is no mega milltown type land deal for either. Gannon has his other pet project in malahide which fair play to him he has done for football when he could have made more houses and a lot more money. Kelleher could have sold richer altho he wouldnt get what he paid for it. he wants to build "something"

I am aware they could both walk away anytime ala Arkaga after the Kerr fiasco i assumed Kelleher would, but he didnt and he is intent on doing what he set out to do with his money and St Pats. I wouldnt and doubt many here would do it with out money as we see it as "pissing money against a BOOKIES wall" to pay mercenaries to perform 6 games a season as there is a bigger bonus for those 6 games :mad:

Then to see what else is going on in the league would piss me right off and i would walkaway. These lads havent and actually put money into the EL. I dont think the FAI has the right to tell them how to spend their money. And i dont think they should be slated for still being here.

What is a problem is clubs that know full well they cannot pay their players from day 1 in the season. Rovers are reasonably safe they have projected attendances and a sound model but one little * or "incident" and that attendance could dwindle. kelleher could walk away leaving our club to the patrons to save. gannon could walk leaving ehh:o Sligo could blackmail their fans again. Drogs should be punished if they dont pay same as Cork etc:

A lot of ifs and buts, but for some there is less a chance of it happening. Rovers would be a prime example of how fans should run a club, but without success and fans will get pissed off. A free ground helps balance the books tho :D and thankfully an example has been set by SDCC , hopefully DCC will also see it as an example on march 15th ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Cork City really are a horrible football club. Whatever Shels have been through in the past, they've never treated their players in such a horrible manner. Why anyone is going to play for them is a mystery to me.

What. The. Holy. Fúck?

Might I just point out that Farrelly's interview was printed in The Sun? In other words, we don't really know what's going on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Also, the Abbotstown Circus of Clowns hits back at G Farrelly

This is absolutely laughable by the way.

Just read it.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/1320/

It's actually so unbelievable that I need to put it here twice, in case you missed the first time

What. The. Holy. Fúck?

wow, lolers:

[IMG][/img]lolcano.gif

The more you hear the less you want to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

As said by Anto McC in this thread (could be a different one) as the Shels song goes,

F*CK THEM ALL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

djpbarry wrote: »
    Might I just point out that Farrelly's interview was printed in The Sun? In other words, we don't really know what's going on here.

Of course we're only hearing his side of the story. He refused to take a pay cut like the rest of the players and the examiner had to let him go. AFAIK As he was let go by the examiner before Tom Coughlan came in he isn't obliged to pay him.

Had he taken the pay cut he could have stayed at the club and gotten the wages back when the club came out of examinership. Since he refused the examiner had no option but to let him go.

I'm not without sympathy for the guy but other players had to make a sacrifice as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Might i just point out that the story was to Owen Cowzer, one of the more reputable LoI journos around.

Anto McC wrote: »
    Might i just point out that the story was to Owen Cowzer, one of the more reputable LoI journos around.
    That's a matter of opinion. The point is, as pablomakaveli said, this is only Farrelly's side of the story. There is the possibility that he was acting the bollocks.

Seems everyone's in the humour to take a swipe at the FAI at every single opportunity, without actually considering all the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That's a matter of opinion. The point is, as pablomakaveli said, this is only Farrelly's side of the story. There is the possibility that he was acting the bollocks.

Seems everyone's in the humour to take a swipe at the FAI at every single opportunity, without actually considering all the facts.

So, if we had all the facts, do you think we would become satisfied that Cork and Drogheda should have been awarded Premier licenses and the FAI have actually provided a league that is competently run with a bright future?

I am aware they could both walk away anytime ala Arkaga after the Kerr fiasco i assumed Kelleher would, but he didnt and he is intent on doing what he set out to do with his money and St Pats.

If Kelleher is a millionaire with a very very large amount off money to spend however he wants, and is intent on doing what he set out to do with his money and St Pats, why are they going part-time in 2009?

Suggests to me that his benevolence is finite.

Rovers are reasonably safe they have projected attendances and a sound model but one little * or "incident" and that attendance could dwindle.

Rovers budget hasn't been upped for this season. And if the club survived when playing to very poor attendances last season, we'll hardly go bust if the same happens again. I honestly could not ever see them going lower than that in Tallaht, even in a worse case scenario.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So, if we had all the facts, do you think we would become satisfied that Cork and Drogheda should have been awarded Premier licenses and the FAI have actually provided a league that is competently run with a bright future?
    I'm just referring to this particular case involving Farrelly. I think Drogs and Cork were punished to the extent of the rules as they existed at the time. The rules have since been revised, stipulating 30 - 40 point penalties for clubs who enter examinership from this season onwards. Should a club enter the examinership process this season and they are not hit with this massive points deduction, then one would be quite right in stating that the FAI (or licensing body) is reneging on it's agreement with the other clubs.

Am I optimistic about the future of the FAI-run league? Not at this time, no, but that has as much to do with the clubs (like Fingal, who are clearly circumventing the wage cap) as it does the administration.

If Kelleher is a millionaire with a very very large amount off money to spend however he wants, and is intent on doing what he set out to do with his money and St Pats, why are they going part-time in 2009?

Suggests to me that his benevolence is finite.

We ain't actually part time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

We ain't actually part time

Maybe you could expand on this. Or some of the other Pat's lads. Not having a go or a challenge: I can only go by what I read on the net, media and from other fans. I just thought you had gone part-time from all those sources?

Maybe you could expand on this. Or some of the other Pat's lads. Not having a go or a challenge: I can only go by what I read on the net, media and from other fans. I just thought you had gone part-time from all those sources?

to get rid of johnny mac and certain players.

worked tbh!!

Players we have are training fulltime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Stephen O'Donnell has signed for Cork City on a two year contract

From corkcityfc.ie
    Cork City FC are delighted to announce the signing of Stephen O'Donnell. The Galway born midfielder, 23, has signed a two year contract and joins the Rebel Army having played for Bohemians, Falkirk and Arsenal.

Speaking at the club's training ground at Bishopstown shortly after O'Donnell put pen to paper, City boss Paul Doolin said: "Stephen is a quality player, and he is young as well. He's had good experience, he did well with Bohs last year and I think he is a good addition to the squad, as it gives us a bit of competition for places as well."

My understanding is that players took a pay-cut and training was moved to the evening to allow players to take a day-job, if they wished. I've no idea how many players are officially part-time or officially full-time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Someone has informed me that Georgie will sign for Derry in the next couple of days. Dundalk also tried to sign Georgie.

• Advertisement

I thought Kenny said he wasn't interested in signing Georgie but i could be wrong. He can't have that much money left after signing the 2 Liam Kearnys, can he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

CiaranC wrote: »
    But nevermind, I predict Cork will next years biggest 'on the brink of extinction' story, well get to listen to their fans whine they they "had no idea what was going on" and "it was all out of their hands" all over again

Utter Dublin based tosh again. The differences between our last owners and new are glaring for all to see. We all know exactly what is going on this time, and I fear we are staring into the abyss. I will be shocked if there is still a Cork City Football Club come the summer transfer window. And then all you dubs cn have a little party because ye were right all along.

Minnowism is alive and well.

gimmick wrote: »
    Utter Dublin based tosh again.
    And then all you dubs cn have a little party because ye were right all along.
    Please don't lump us all in with the Rovers fans.

Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Someone has informed me that Georgie will sign for Derry in the next couple of days. Dundalk also tried to sign Georgie.

I heard he signed for Dundalk this mornin.

St. Pat's sign Gints Friemanis:
    Latvia striker Gints Friemanis who scored for St Patrick’s Athletic in their mid-week friendly against Chelsea has today signed for the club.

Friemanis had previously played with FK Riga found himself without a club earlier this year when his move to Cork City failed to materialise...
    http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2862

Please don't lump us all in with the Rovers fans.

Ta.

Generalizations are all the rage don't you know.................
    St. Pat's sign Gints Friemanis:

Good player by all acounts. Most City fans I have spoken to seem baffled as to why Doolin didn't offer him a deal. Yet we sign Greg O Halloran and O Donnell, who despite being an excellent player is a player in a position where we are most plentiful.

George signs for Dundalk

http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/1336/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

gimmick wrote: »
    Most City fans I have spoken to seem baffled as to why Doolin didn't offer him a deal.
    Take your pick:
    Marked reluctance to spend much of his time inside 18 yards of his own goal?
    Repeated expression of desire for ball passed to feet?
    Perverse inclination to run at defenders?
    Dublin conspiracy?
    Latvian conspiracy?

Greg is back at Cork City?

lol

• Advertisement

^ You should look at our forum. Some are hoping eh suffers a career ending injury and intend on booing him if that does not happen. Not overjoyed by it myself, but am sure you will agree the former sentiments are a tad ott.
    SectionF wrote:
    Take your pick:
    Marked reluctance to spend much of his time inside 18 yards of his own goal?
    Repeated expression of desire for ball passed to feet?
    Perverse inclination to run at defenders?
    Dublin conspiracy?
    Latvian conspiracy?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Mark Leech to Pats is a rumour I heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Greg is back at Cork City?

lol

The Steve Claridge of the LOI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭DvB

He's been released along with Dave Tyrell anyway, no loss TBH.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

They already have a player playing for them who bets against him team, if he goes they'll have two and i'll have €50 on Pats getting hammered by Bray.

And Leech wasn't even any use in Division One. God knows what he'll be like against European teams.

• Advertisement

DSB wrote: »
    And Leech wasn't even any use in Division One. God knows what he'll be like against European team.

fixed that for you :(

Hey man don't worry, sign up Mark McCullogh and Matthew Etherington, and then theres always a safe bet.

Please god no :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Bennion

Shaun Kelly Burns Heary Rogers

O'Callaghan Collins Turner Singh

O'Brien Mansaram

There's your Premier division champions for 09/10 lads. Wonder who's gonna come second. Pigheads money is on Derry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Pighead wrote: »
    Bennion

Shaun Kelly Burns Heary Rogers

O'Callaghan Collins Turner Singh

O'Brien Mansaram

Have you ever seen Chris Turner play? No? Neither have I.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement