Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI Close Season Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2008-09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

So Ian Bermingham has signed for Rovers.

Also, two scottish lads, Gary Twigg, a striker (from Brechin City) and Greg Cameron a midfielder (on loan from Dundee United). Also goalkeeper Robert Duggan has resigned.

Twigg is full time according to the Brechin website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

SectionF wrote: »
    Have you ever seen Chris Turner play? No? Neither have I.
    Did you just ask me a question and then answer it for me? How rude! That's like me saying to you. Are you any good at making love? No you're rubbish.

Chris Turner has been seen by most Dundalk fans at this stage. He scored the winner against Sligo the other night. Cracking goal as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

If Connor can give George freedom and a bit of TLC you have the best player in the league on your hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I'm not sure about signing GOC because he can be a right cnut when it suits him. But he should be exciting to watch and i can see an increase in the number of season tickets being sold just to see him play week in week out.

Bit p'ssed off that season ticket holders still have to pay to see us beat Celtic on Sunday.

Not quite as optimistic as my porcine friend but there is no reason why we can't compete in the league this year especially with the problems at other so called top clubs. I would agree that Derry will be a big threat this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Pighead wrote: »
    Bennion

Shaun Kelly Burns Heary Rogers

O'Callaghan Collins Turner Singh

O'Brien Mansaram

There's your Premier division champions for 09/10 lads. Wonder who's gonna come second. Pigheads money is on Derry.

Not with George on the right ye wont. George plays best either just off the strikers, or a central midfield position. If he has his head straight ye are in for a treat
    ibh wrote:
    I'm not sure about signing GOC because he can be a right cnut when it suits him.

And thats why you will love him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'd give it a few months before Georgie has a bust up with Connor and scurries back to England to some League One team.

Great player to watch though and on that basis a good signing for Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Hearys a centre half now? Burns and Turner will be heavily overweight by the midpoint of the season although that wont affect Burns too much. Id expect Turner to be injured a lot, Collins to be suspended a lot. Mansaram cant head the ball and has a terrible touch, but he can score against Pats. Rogers? lol. Singh and Heary will be fighting for the best treatment table all season.
    Georgie, O'Brien and Burns are the only decent players there.

Really hope I can make it down for the opening day of the season, detest Burns and Connor, gonna be some atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Greg O'Halloran has officially signed with Cork City on a one year contract. Sean Kelly has gone on loan to Galway until the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Greg O'Halloran has officially signed with Cork City on a one year contract. While Sean Kelly has gone on loan to Galway until the Summer.

Galway can have Kelly. He's ****e anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

CiaranC wrote: »
    Greg Cameron a midfielder (on loan from Dundee United).

Very good signing, even if it is on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

If O'Halloran is even half as good in the Premier as he was in the First with us last season, then Cork are very lucky to have gotten him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Bennion

O'Brien Mansaram

There's your Premier division champions for 09/10 lads. Wonder who's gonna come second. Pigheads money is on Derry.

LMAO

Trilla wrote: »
    LMAO
    League Medals At Oriel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Quoted from fool.ie
    These are all confirmed signings:

Goalkeeper

Chris Bennion

Defenders

Thomas Heary (Captain)
    Liam Burns
    Shaun Kelly
    Dave Rogers
    Simon Kelly
    Michael McKerr

Midfielders

Harpal Singh
    Michael Daly
    George O'Callaghan
    Michael Collins
    Chris Turner

Strikers

Darren Mansaram
    Tiarnan Mulvenna
    Declan O'Brien

The following players are training with the club but haven't yet signed:

Neil Gallagher (Goalkeeper)
    Josh Maguire (Midfielder)
    Michael McGinlay (Midfield/Stirker)
    Dwight Barnett (Striker)

There's no way in this world that, that team is costing under €12,000 a week. Dundalk for the 2009 team to go bust along with Sporting Fingal and they're crook of a financial backer Gerry Gannon.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There's no way in this world that, that team is costing under €12,000 a week. Dundalk for the 2009 team to go bust along with Sporting Fingal and they're crook of a financial backer Gerry Gannon.:pac:

...and Shels got their best player.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Des wrote: »
    ...and Shels got their best player.

:D

1st division standard player Des. No loss for a team heading into the Prem Lge. I always maintained that this was the year to go up cause there were more teams relegated and hence more Prem Players looking to stay in the top flight.

Anyway, i don't think Crawley was our best player.

Whatever they are spending theyve a squad that should avoid relegation but not do much more

bohsman wrote: »
    Whatever they are spending theyve a squad that should avoid relegation but not do much more
    A lot will depend on O'Brien. If he can regain his form of a couple of seasons back we have a real chance of finishing top three.

The major problem is that Heary, Singh, Turner and O'Brien are injury prone, add to that the fact that Georgie, Turner, Collins and Rogers are headcases, theres definitely going to be 2-3 enforced changes every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

ibh wrote: »
    1st division standard player Des. No loss for a team heading into the Prem Lge. I always maintained that this was the year to go up cause there were more teams relegated and hence more Prem Players looking to stay in the top flight.

Anyway, i don't think Crawley was our best player.

Maybe i'm missing your sarcasm but Des is talking about Casso and he's certainly premier standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

bohsman wrote: »

Agreed. Far too many egos in that squad which could probably be contained by a good manager but fact is, the manager has the biggest ego of the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Mark Leech to Pats is a rumour I heard
    Apparently true. Pats squad in full:
    G Rogers
    B Clarke

N Haverty
    D Lynch
    D Partridge
    J Gavin
    J Harris
    S Maher
    D Ryan
    E Stevens

G Dempsey
    B Ryan
    R Guy
    J Lester
    A Cawley
    G Friemans

G Fitzpatrick
    A Haran
    M Quigley
    M Leech
    http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2868

Decent starting 11, but everything will rest on what Kenna can get out of the fringe players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Quoted from fool.ie

Why not? Few of those players wouldn't be on great money and others would be. It evens out.
    Anyway we released 23 players at the end of the season and signed 11. Smaller squad = more to spend on individual players. We will be using A-Team and youths for back up so if we hit any injuries we're in big trouble but we're still under the budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bennion

O'Brien Mansaram

Bennion can't kick snow off a rope and his distribution in general is awful.

Collins will spend more time on the sidelines through suspension than on the pitch so will have feck all impact.

Mansaram is always injured.

Take those three liabilities out and then you are struggling to get a good XI based on the lack of strength in depth. Midtable finish beckons.

On a side note, it was hilarious watching the penalties by Fabio and George last night. Horrible efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I heard George further endeared himself to the Drogs fans last night

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    I heard George further endeared himself to the Drogs fans last night
    Blown out of all proportion. He was just waving to them (with his fingers)

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Bennion can't kick snow off a rope and his distribution in general is awful.

Collins will spend more time on the sidelines through suspension than on the pitch so will have feck all impact.

Mansaram is always injured.

Take those three liabilities out and then you are struggling to get a good XI based on the lack of strength in depth. Midtable finish beckons.

On a side note, it was hilarious watching the penalties by Fabio and George last night. Horrible efforts.
    Bennions solid enough. He hasn't conceded a single gal in pre season! Collins is a head banger alright. He'll need to sort that out. Tiernan Mulvenna is the great white hope in Dundalk and could well step up to the plate this season if needs be for when Mansaram is injured. Yep cracking season ahead for Dundalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

If Dundalk win a league with that team it'll be the worst team ever to win the title. And that's not even looking at the subs.

Quint wrote: »
    If Dundalk win a league with that team it'll be the worst team ever to win the title. And that's not even looking at the subs.
    That may be so. But it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it will happen. Most of the teams in the league are in a mess. Derry apart there's no outstanding team this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Quint wrote: »

The team we had the last time we won the league in 1995 was rubbish. Dunno how we won it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Another signing for Rovers - Sean Webb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Blown out of all proportion. He was just waving to them (with his fingers)
    They don't like to be waved to, or smiled at, as Killian Brennan discovered last year. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Bermingham turned Final down? Do you mean to stay at UCD or move to Rovers?
    Turned Fingal down a couple of weeks before signing for Rovers.
    djpbarry wrote: »
    My understanding is that players took a pay-cut and training was moved to the evening to allow players to take a day-job, if they wished. I've no idea how many players are officially part-time or officially full-time.
    Were Pats not training in the morning since pre-season? Is that going to change then once the season starts? Full time is the country is a joke anyway, most of the clubs don't do anywhere near the amount of hours training to be considered full time.
    That may be so. But it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it will happen. Most of the teams in the league are in a mess. Derry apart there's no outstanding team this season.
    :confused: Bohs easily had the best team last season, seem to have a similar strength team this season. Everyone else is much weaker. Bohs will win it even easier than last season.

Bohs and Rovers will be wearing these when they play each other in the league:

http://www.umbro.ie/breast_cancer_support.html

Can see a lot of lads hastily donning their jackets before walking down to the Luas. :pac:

stovelid wrote: »
    Bohs and Rovers will be wearing these when they play each other in the league

When they play each other?

It'll get a bit confusing, no?

Fair play to the clubs though.

stovelid wrote: »
    Bohs and Rovers will be wearing these when they play each other in the league:

http://www.umbro.ie/breast_cancer_support.html

Can see a lot of lads hastily donning their jackets before walking down to the Luas. :pac:

joke, please tell me thats a joke?

I presume it will be the away team each time that wears them Des, at least I hope!

Trilla wrote: »
    joke, please tell me thats a joke?

It's for charity man.

It's also extremely

GHEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :p

When they play each other?

Nah, sorry. I think the away team wears the pink.

Clubs will be flogging some of the shirts to fans too.

:confused: Bohs easily had the best team last season, seem to have a similar strength team this season. Everyone else is much weaker. Bohs will win it even easier than last season.
    O'Donnell, Burns, Heary, Joxer, Mingus whatever his name is(Lithuanian lad) all gone. According to a few Bohs fans last season O'Donnell was one of their best players. They've brought in a washed up N'Do to replace him. Also there's the potential of points deducted if the finances aren't up to scratch. No chance for Bohs this year. They're I've said it!

• Advertisement

O'Donnell is a small loss but its Paul Keegan who is replacing him, leaves us with Rossiter, Keegan and Deegan all better defensive mids than odonnell. Burns is a loss but we've plenty of strength in depth, I expect Shelley to go right back with O Heary moving to centre half leaving Ken Oman on the bench, Oman is a far better player than T Heary.

T Heary is no loss whatsoever, wish hed left years ago. Joxer, no loss unfortunately, never lived up to the hype, one trick pony. Kalonas - super sub and great player, if Ndo gives 10% of what Kalonas offered hes a good replacement though.

Owen Heary is not a Centre Half.

If Fenlon plays him there I'd be extremely surprised.

They've brought in a washed up N'Do to replace him.

I'd not call Joe washed up. Whether he could give a shit is another thing, but if he feels like it, he's still a great player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

O'Donnell's a decent, passing player who can also tackle. Had big boots to fill and did ok. But he could be inconsistent and was wont at times to fade out of games. I'd rather have kept him: if he had stayed, he could have become a big name at Bohs. But he's not indispensable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

you can't call cork city "weaker", fair enough we've lost liam kearney (bit of a loss), mick devine (old) and lawrie dudfield (meh), but we've added Dan Connor, one of the most dependable goalkeepers in the league, Fahrudin Kudozovich who's going to set the league alight in a city shirt, Billy Dennehy, Stephen O'Donnell, Latvian international defender Robert Mezeckis, and Davin O'Neill who's a terrifically exciting prospect, add all those together with exisitng players like Colin Healy, Joe gamble and Dan Murray and you have a very strong team there

Doolin's assembling a decent team to be fair to him, let's just hope he plans to actually play a bit of football with the players he has, instead of booting it up forward and hoping for the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Were Pats not training in the morning since pre-season? Is that going to change then once the season starts?
    I don't really know to be honest.
    Full time is the country is a joke anyway, most of the clubs don't do anywhere near the amount of hours training to be considered full time.
    Well the way I see it is...

By all accounts, the Pats squad was very well paid last season. If the figures that were floating about in the media were in any way accurate, then a 30% pay cut is still going to leave many of those lads pretty well off. Unless they've got substantial debts to pay, a second source of income isn't really necessary. Besides, I can't imagine the likes of Quigley, Dempsey and Gavin would stick around at a club with a part-time ethos.

Didn't the Bohs squad take a similar cut, which I imagine would leave them in a similar position to Pats (in salary terms)? No talk of "part-time" in Phibsboro though. It's just a label at the end of the day - doesn't really mean anything.

Owen Heary is not a Centre Half.

If Fenlon plays him there I'd be extremely surprised.

He slotted in there well a couple of times last season, its the signing of Shelley that is confusing things, Hearys getting on a bit, his legs might last longer if he moves into the middle. We also have Rossiter that plays right back.

Let there be light!

main-1.jpg?t=1235694687

Those different coloured seats take the look off the place. imo.

• Advertisement

No doubt about it, they look awful.

But after 22 years homeless, i couldnt give a **** if they were all painted with union jacks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement