Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI Close Season Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2008-09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Seaneh wrote: »
    About 80% of the Athlone town squad to move on.

The club owe players about 18 grand apparently.
    If a Premier Division club owes employees money after November 30th they get demoted (whether the FAI abide by this is another story), what happens to First Division clubs? A-Championship? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

what happens to First Division clubs? A-Championship? :eek:

Must be.

Although, I doubt any of the clubs will actually be demoted, their names don't begin with S, have a H, E, L or a B, an O a U, an R an N or another E in them.

Oh and lol at us getting any of them SPA players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2757

Lance Friesz
    John Frost
    Stephen Brennan
    Stephen Paisley
    Glen Fitzpatrick
    Jaraslow Bialek
    Gary O'Neill
    Dave Rogers
    Alan Kirby

All released.
    Surprised they let Paisley go. Can't argue with the rest of the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

djpbarry wrote: »
    Was offered reduced wages and turned down the offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Des wrote: »
    Must be.

Although, I doubt any of the clubs will actually be demoted, their names don't begin with S, have a H, E, L or a B, an O a U, an R an N or another E in them.

That cross you Shels fans must get heavy at time. Its painful to listen to ye about it like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

djpbarry wrote: »

Slightly surprised about Kirby as well. I think he's a decent squad player to have. He changed a couple of matches last season when coming on and he's better than Derek O' Brien.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Slightly surprised about Kirby as well. I think he's a decent squad player to have. He changed a couple of matches last season when coming on and he's better than Derek O' Brien.
    I was never a big fan of Kirby - he's too light-weight. He was shown up in the UEFA cup games (in my opinion).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm surprised to see Pats release so many players. I rate Kirby, O'Neill and Paisley pretty highly and can imagine a few clubs being in for them.

Btw, I'll be sick if Fahey ends up at Celtic.

I'm surprised to see Pats release so many players.

Obviously a signal of the intentions of "Special" K.
    I rate Kirby, O'Neill and Paisley pretty highly and can imagine a few clubs being in for them.
    Clubs in England no doubt.

I reckon a few LoI players will be making the magic flight this close season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Keely is staying on at Shels, Joe Casey announced at the End Of Season Party thingy last night. Keely has some sense of humour along with Collie O'Neill.:D

Mervue up to the First Division, and the Kildare franchise down to the "A" division.

I'm surprised to see Pats release so many players. I rate Kirby, O'Neill and Paisley pretty highly and can imagine a few clubs being in for them.
    O'Neill seems to be very injury-prone. Apart from Paisley, Brennan would be the only one I'd be slightly disappointed to see leave. He had a good season in 2007 but never really got going this year. There were some questionable signings (O'Cearuill, Partridge) brought in ahead of him.
    Obviously a signal of the intentions of "Special" K.
    I'd rather see them cut their cloth to measure now rather than see them do a Drogs.
    Clubs in England no doubt.

I reckon a few LoI players will be making the magic flight this close season.
    Probably. Everybody seems to be cutting their playing budgets so there's going to be a lot of free agents floating about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Mervue up to the First Division, and the Kildare franchise down to the "A" division.

Congrats to Mervue.I wonder where the'll play home games next season, i think all league sides have to have a stand to participate . maybe the'll have to share Terryland Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I can't see County continuing if they have to play in the "A" League, pity we were a few minutes away from promotion in our first year, things could have been so different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I hope they get a new name for that division.

• Advertisement

2 teams in Galway? FFS they can hardly keep one going. That being said, its good to see another non Leinster club into the league.

What happened Kildare. is there automatic relegation from the first division now or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

gimmick wrote: »
    2 teams in Galway? FFS they can hardly keep one going.
    The same could be said for Cork and Louth.
    gimmick wrote:
    What happened Kildare. is there automatic relegation from the first division now or what?
    Lost 5-2 in a playoff to Mervue.

Managerial Merry-Go-Round:

Dave Rogers to Cobh (Player/Manager)

Doolin from Drogs to Rovers

Cronin to Drogs

Monday November 24 2008

Kildare County were relegated from the League of Ireland First Division on Friday night -- but have been told by the FAI to submit licence forms for that level next year due to suspicions a vacancy might arise, WRITES DANIEL MCDONNELL.

Mervue United from Galway, who beat the Thoroughbreds in the promotion/relegation playoff, are still mulling over whether to make the jump to league level from the 'A' League.

Meanwhile, there is also speculation that Cobh Ramblers are again contemplating the prospect of dropping out of senior football and back into the Munster Senior League.

The Rams mulled over the option during the season after a turbulent period but decided at an EGM to pursue sticking in the senior game.

However, after their relegation from the Premier Division and the departure of boss Stephen Henderson, there have been rumours that they could yet go down that road.

Either way, the FAI has told Kildare to be on alert. Mervue chairman George Guest believes they have some thinking to do.

"There'll be a little bit of soul-searching done. It has to be right," he said. "We'll have to plan it, look at it, sit down with our people and the FAI and work out how we go about it. We won't rush it. We'll sit down and talk about it sensibly."

ffs.

Another badge to kiss.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Mervue chairman George Guest believes they have some thinking to do.

"There'll be a little bit of soul-searching done. It has to be right," he said. "We'll have to plan it, look at it, sit down with our people and the FAI and work out how we go about it. We won't rush it. We'll sit down and talk about it sensibly."
    Surely that's the sort of thing that should have been decided upon BEFORE they went into the play-off with Kildare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Looks like Brian Murphy will be leaving the league aswell. Hibs have offered £100k but apparently 3 more clubs interested.

bohsman wrote: »
    Looks like Brian Murphy will be leaving the league aswell. Hibs have offered £100k but apparently 3 more clubs interested.
    The Magic Flight.

The rumour mill down these parts has gone nuts. Apparently City are looking at signing the following

Alan Kirby
    Owen Morrison
    Some Polish dude from SPA
    John Fitzgerald,
    Eamon Zayed

Contract negotiations are ongoing with Healy, Gamble and Dan Murray (who I think has been offered a deal by Leeds, but he wants to stay with CCFC for some reason).

If all this is true, which I suspect its not, it looks like no lessons will have been learned from our recent past.

Some Polish dude from SPA.

Jaraslow Bialek

Thats the guy. Never heard of him. Did he get any game time with SPA this season? What is his position?

Thats the guy. Never heard of him. Did he get any game time with SPA this season? What is his position?

The bloke is terribe, to be honest. Really bad. He's a midfielder (allegedly!!). He played in some games, was only signed in August, but he's sh!te. I'm delighted he's gone.

Not too sure, know he played with us in one game in pre-season as a favour to Pats for the friendly, didn't look anything special.

Contract negotiations are ongoing with Healy, Gamble and Dan Murray (who I think has been offered a deal by Leeds, but he wants to stay with CCFC for some reason).
    This is from the Echo (copied from foot.ie so no link):

tonight's Echo

Murray returns from week-long trial at Leeds

by Noel Spillane

CORK CITY skipper, Dan Murray was back on Leeside yesterday after a week’s trial with Leeds United at Elland Road.

The Cambridge-born centre-half played one game for the Leeds reserves in a 2-0 win over Lincoln City in mid-week. Murray, who led Cork to the Setanta Cup for the first time this year, was one of four other trialists to play for the reserve team at Leeds training ground at Thorpe Arch.

“I got to play the full 90 minutes and I was pleased with that and we won the game as well. I got to play at centre-half and I had lads like Peter Sweeney, Peter Huntington and an Irish lad Alan Sheehan who was at Leicester City in the team with me. I think if they were going to sign me up they would have made a move by now,” said Murray.

The City skipper, who is keen to stay on Leeside, is hoping to meet club chairman Tom Coughlan this week to begin talks on a new contract.

Murray said it was “a good experience” to go on trial to Leeds where he worked with manager Gary McAllister and Academy director Neil Thompson, one of six coaches at the club.

Murray returns from week-long trial at Leeds[/B]
    by Noel Spillane

The very fact its written by Spillane means it must be taken with a dollop of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

bohsman wrote: »

he is the 1 player that will leave the league on the "magic flight" and become a success, absolute class act imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Managerial Merry-Go-Round:

Doolin from Drogs to Rovers

Cronin to Drogs

No chance whatsoever. None. Zero. PM if you want more.

West Brom in for Kalounas according to The S*n

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/droghedautd/news.asp?n=35046

Shane Robinson to joing Reading for a weesk trial. Good player him, though not sure is he quite top championship standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

The very fact its written by Spillane means it must be taken with a dollop of salt.

Dollop. There isnt enough salt in the sea!

This man is more noted as a Seanachaí than for his actual reporting.

So many fairytales...

Neil Mellor was apparently signing for City
    Rovers fans demolishing the Tory Top pub at Turners Cross.
    Cork City fans giving Mark Rutherford Monkey Chants

Neil Mellor was apparently signing for City

Thank you Dave Rogers and Greg O Halloran :D
    Rovers fans demolishing the Tory Top pub at Turners Cross.

That was exaggerated as a number of their fans and a few of our own morons did kick off up there and the was a paddywagon called.

Cork City fans giving Mark Rutherford Monkey Chants

I am afraid to say that this actually happened, in the Shed by a couple of the pre pubescent twits who gathered there. However, this story was again exaggerated as Rutherford was being booed later on in the game for something like a dive or a bad tackle.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/eircom-league/saints-to-net-8364600000-bonanza-from-faheys-birmingham-move-1554720.html

Daniel McDonnell

Thursday November 27 2008

ST PATRICK'S ATHLETIC have agreed terms with Birmingham City for the transfer of star midfielder Keith Fahey in a deal which could net the League of Ireland side a figure close to €600,000.

Fahey, the PFAI Player of the Year after an excellent campaign for the Inchicore club, is set to put pen to paper with Birmingham once he agrees personal terms and passes a medical.

Should everything go to plan, the 25-year-old will sign for the Championship promotion chasers for a fee of €355,000 (£300,000) up front, which will rise to a potential worth of €592,000 (£500,000) after appearances.

Birmingham have been tracking the player for several months and manager Alex McLeish admitted last week that he was an admirer of the Tallaght native, who has also attracted the attention of Celtic, West Ham and Sunderland.

Their first bid, worth in the region of €200,000 up front, with further clauses inserted, was rejected, but they came back with another offer and negotiations concluded successfully yesterday afternoon.

McLeish believes that Fahey will bring badly needed creativity to their midfield. Birmingham currently sit second in the Championship table, six points behind leaders Wolves and six ahead of third placed Reading.

Add-ons

One of the add-ons included in the deal with Pat's is a bonus if Birmingham are promoted back to the Premier League and Fahey is involved in 60pc of the games from when he arrives in January.

The move gives Fahey a second chance in England. Highly rated as a teenager with Arsenal, he failed to settle there and moved onto Aston Villa for a fee of £250,000 in 1999.

However, he was unable to mature into a first team player there and returned home to St Pat's before linking up with Drogheda. However, his stint there ended due to disciplinary issues and a fall-out with manager Paul Doolin.

In his second stint with St Patrick's Athletic, he has proved to be a resounding success and his performances, both domestically and in Europe, this year have propelled him to a new level and attracted the interest which has resulted in his return to England.

- Daniel McDonnell

He plays across the middle - seemed to spend a tremendous amount of time throwing himself on the ground. Methinks he's a graduate of the Dave Wilson school of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Gamble signs new 3 year deal
    Cork City Football Club is delighted to announce that Joe Gamble has agreed a new three year contract with the club.

Gamble, 26, has been with the club since the summer of 2004, and speaking to CorkCityFC.ie this afternoon, Gamble said he was pleased to have renegotiated his contract with the Rebel Army and to commit himself to the club for another three years: "Having spoken to the chairman Tom Coughlan I am convinced that his ambitions for the club match my own. I am very happy to commit myself to the club for another three years. Basically I want to stay at the club for as long as possible because I know there are a lot more trophies to be won with this team."

Everybody at the club is thrilled to have somebody of Joe Gamble's calibre on board for the next three years. We hope the people of Cork will show their appreciation next season for the efforts and sacrifices the players and staff made last season to ensure the existence of Cork City FC. It is our intention to strengthen the squad in the off-season and we expect to be challenging for every major trophy next year. If we can earn the belief of the Cork sporting public then there is a bright future ahead for Cork City FC.

• Advertisement

More good news to follow I am led to believe. I just hope and pray the new owner is not living outside his means.

Stephen Henderson has apparently turned down an offer from Dundalk to be their new manager?

Only source on this is the Echo in Cork so there is a good chance this is not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Stephen Henderson has apparently turned down an offer from Dundalk to be their new manager?

Only source on this is the Echo in Cork so there is a good chance this is not true.

It's not true at all Gimmick , the Dundalk board have drawn up a list of 12 applicants and the last of the first round of interviews took place last night. Dundalk expected to announce a manager on Monday or Tuesday.There seems to be a lot of talk around Sean Connor at the moment but again that could just be hearsay.

Either way we will know next week.

Sean Connor?

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Sean Connor?

lol

I bet you look forward to another exciting year of football under Dermot Keely* next year Des ?

*i want dermot back :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Behan Agrees New 2 Year Contract

http://www.corkcityfc.ie/main.php

• Advertisement

Darren Quigley transfer listed by Derry. Best keeper in the league imo after Brian Murphy.

Cork were after him last winter, I'm sure they'll be after him again. Pats also looking for a new keeper and probably Bohs when Murphy goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Do you think Sean Connor has Steve Bruce as a reference on his CV?

Darren Quigley transfer listed by Derry. Best keeper in the league imo after Brian Murphy.

Cork were after him last winter, I'm sure they'll be after him again. Pats also looking for a new keeper and probably Bohs when Murphy goes.

I really hope we make a go for him. Devin has seen better days and I hate saying that he should not be our number 1 any more because he was the best keeper in the league a few years ago. McNulty is a decent back up, but if we have any serious intentions of challenging next season, he cannot be our first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

I really hope we make a go for him. Devin has seen better days and I hate saying that he should not be our number 1 any more because he was the best keeper in the league a few years ago. McNulty is a decent back up, but if we have any serious intentions of challenging next season, he cannot be our first choice.

He would be a much welcomed signing, surprised he didn't play more when he came back from injury. Wasn't Devine retiring last season but decided to stay on and now he is offering the same again this season :eek:. Nults would be a handy back up, or even Philpott.

More rumours in the Echo (Spillane again) today that City are looking into trying to sign Billy Clarke (currently on load at Darlington), as well as Kevin Murray and Davin O' Neill from Cobh, both on a part time basis. Would like to see O' Neill sign, have heard that he wasn't interested in moving to City before, but maybe with the way things seem to be going for Ramblers at the minute, he might have a change of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Hoggy Signs Up For Another Year

http://www.corkcityfc.ie/main.php

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement