Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI Close Season Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2008-09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

gimmick wrote: »
    Ya, its a nonsense, but I think some of the posts here are very funny. If it were another club, I certainly would not be losing any sleep over it, let alone my temper.

Well personally I was pretty disgusted by the events in Cork , seen as they offered two players who agreed personal terms with Dundalk (but didnt sign anything) better contracts at the last minute. How can this be the case , seen as the season hasnt started and already there missing pay days. If the situation was reversed i have no doubt and im sure 90% of LOI posters here will agree that you would be the very one giving it "SOCKS"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Perhaps, but at this stage I have gone beyond caring about the club I support, so I can't imagine getting to bothered about what anyone else does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

It's not often i'll agree with Gimmick, actually i think it's the first time but his quote from the thread that was locked:
    Must say, I have never been so apatethic to a new season ever. So much so, it even seems more like a hindrance.

Is spot on and sums up my feeling towards the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It's very important that Cork City survive and fair play to the FAI for letting them into the Prem this year.

The League of Ireland needs a strong Cork City that doesn't pay its players and shafts its creditors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Sarge wrote: »
    Gimmick I don’t understand this perception that you have that it’s just Shelbourne fans that are negative about how things are run in cork/Fai. I think all LOI fans agree that Cork are a farce at this point and are getting away with irregularities in their finances and signing players they can’t afford , I for one am disgusted at this.
    Is it because Shels have an agenda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I've a huge agenda. It's enormous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

SectionF wrote: »

What agenda?

Shels wouldn't even gain a promotion if Cork City and Drogheda United were properly punished.

SectionF wrote: »

We do have an agenda.

That all clubs are treated equally.

Why did Shels not go into Examinserhip again and start off on - 10 points? Please remind me because I have completely forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Why did Shels not go into Examinserhip again and start off on - 10 points? Please remind me because I have completely forgotten.

We have an asset aka Tolka Park, whereas yourselves, Drogs and Rovers don't own your own stadiums, therefore there was no risk of losing them.

We paid every penny from players wages to revenue and got demoted for doing the right thing, yet clubs left, right and centre go into examinership and they get 10 points deducted.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

wahey, looks like ill be going to a few shamrock rovers games this year. me and my mate decided we might as well for the laugh. is it easy enough to sneak booze into the stadiums ?

why rovers? cos now that they are in tallaght they are amazingly the easiest to get to that are close to where i am. i could argue bray wanderers but its a cnut to get into town from there once the game is finished. red line luass ftw

Jazzy wrote: »
    wahey, looks like ill be going to a few shamrock rovers games this year. me and my mate decided we might as well for the laugh. is it easy enough to sneak booze into the stadiums ?

why rovers? cos now that they are in tallaght they are amazingly the easiest to get to that are close to where i am. i could argue bray wanderers but its a cnut to get into town from there once the game is finished. red line luass ftw

Congratulations, you have now moved up to a Level 6 at Football ;)

Mind you don't catch the bug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

i could argue bray wanderers but its a cnut to get into town from there once the game is finished. red line luass ftw

Surely the dart brings you right there!? Not that I'd ever advocate supporting Bray. Because I really really wouldn't.

We have an asset aka Tolka Park, whereas yourselves, Drogs and Rovers don't own your own stadiums, therefore there was no risk of losing them.

We paid every penny from players wages to revenue and got demoted for doing the right thing, yet clubs left, right and centre go into examinership and they get 10 points deducted.:rolleyes:

So you chose to be demoted? Once I have that straight.

Good luck getting tickets for Shams matches, well until the novelty goes from the non-season ticket holders. You won't get drink into Tallaght Stadium, now go up to Monaghan Utd and the steward up there doesn't mind one bit as long "as the kids don't see".
    So you chose to be demoted? Once I have that straight.

How did we chose to be demoted? We thought we done everything right e.g. pay the players wages in full, pay revenue in full, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Give me a PM before you go. There are biometric 'Football' detectors at the turnstiles, and the alarm goes off if you're level 6 or under. ;)

Seriously though, fair play. You may find it hard to get tickets for the first few home games, but give it a chance. Hope you enjoy it.

Ye had the choice of going into Examinership or being demoted? Am I wrong in saying that?

You own a lease on Tolka, right?

I'm not really as up on what happened as you all are, obviously, but do you mean that Shels would have taken the examinership route if it were not for Tolka?

• Advertisement

i am pretty good at sneaking drink into places tho :p
    aye i was thinking it might be hard enough to get a ticket for the first few games. bray is just irritating to get to and it takes ages to get into town from there... and im not a fan of p1ssing on the dart. the luas u can just hop off at any old stop ^^
    should be interesting tho. thinking about wearing my liverpool shirt to it aswell :pac: i dont know any of the players or anything so i might bone up on all that before hand just so i know exactly who im watching

Ye had the choice of going into Examinership or being demoted?

Where'd you get that from? :confused:

stovelid wrote: »
    You own a lease on Tolka, right?

Correct.
    I'm not really as up on what happened as you all are, obviously, but do you mean that Shels would have taken the examinership route if it were not for Tolka?

Well, if we didn't have the lease we never would have been able to run up those debts.

aye i was thinking it might be hard enough to get a ticket for the first few games.

As it's limited capacity, a lot of seats are gone to season ticket holders. Club members are then entitled to a few extra tickets, and the remaining tickets (if any) are going on general sale through the club office. You should get cracking though, because members and supporters will obviously snap up more tickets for friends as well.

If you don't get anything for Sligo or Derry, don't give up. Plenty of decent home games during the season - Bohs, Pats, Derry, etc.

sound will do. ill talk with my mate over the weekend and organise something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'm hearing rumours that Alan Matthews feels he is owed a substantial amount of cash by Cork and has initiated legal proceedings over an alleged breach of contract.

^ Not a rumour. he has started civil proceedings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mark Farren @4/1 to be top goalscorer in the league this season is a cracking bet I reckon. He's consistently hit 20+ goals each season since 05 and he's getting better each year. Derry are defo gonna be in the top 2 this season and I'll be surprised if Farren doesn't outscore Crowe, Byrne Quigley and Behan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pighead wrote: »
    Mark Farren @4/1 to be top goalscorer in the league this season is a cracking bet I reckon. He's consistently hit 20+ goals each season since 05 and he's getting better each year. Derry are defo gonna be in the top 2 this season and I'll be surprised if Farren doesn't outscore Crowe, Byrne Quigley and Behan.

lol

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol
    Ah yeah you can't beat a good old laugh out loud on a Friday. Glad to see you're kicking off your weekend with a loud laugh LuckyLloyd (Nice alliteration)

Anyway when you stop laughing out loudly LuckyLloyd let Pighead know what you think of his shrewd bet on Mark Farren becoming top goalscorer this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ah yeah you can't beat a good old laugh out loud on a Friday. Glad to see you're kicking off your weekend with a loud laugh LuckyLloyd (Nice alliteration)

Anyway when you stop laughing out loudly LuckyLloyd let Pighead know what you think of his shrewd bet on Mark Farren becoming top goalscorer this season.

Indeed, the weekend is here.

I'm not laughing at whether Farran has the best chance to be topscorer or not. But at the suggestion that a price of 4 / 1 on which individual player will score the most goals over the course of an entire season where mitigating factors like injuries / suspensions / general team form can play such a huge role can be termed a 'cracking bet'. The stuff bookies get away with on soccer trading is simply hilarious.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Indeed, the weekend is here.

I'm not laughing at whether Farran has the best chance to be topscorer or not. But at the suggestion that a price of 4 / 1 on which individual player will score the most goals over the course of an entire season where mitigating factors like injuries / suspensions / general team form can play such a huge role can be termed a 'cracking bet'. The stuff bookies get away with on soccer trading is simply hilarious.
    Since 2005 Farren has been virtually ever present. He has an excellent disciplanary record and is heading the 2nd favourites to win the league title. Of course there's a "chance" he'll get injured and be out for the season but thats all part of the gamble. Personally I think Farren is gonna be streets ahead of anybody else this season and thus 4/1 represents value.

Anyway enjoy your weekend laughing boy!

• Advertisement

I would say that Crowe, Byrne, Quigley and Behan will probably net at least 40 goals between them - can't see Farren beating that. I say keep your money.

I'll be surprised if Farren doesn't outscore ...............Behan.

Not only would I be surprised, I would be fúcking astounded if that lump Behan scores more than Farren. I hope he barely gets off the bench for the coming season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

djpbarry wrote: »
    I would say that Crowe, Byrne, Quigley and Behan will probably net at least 40 goals between them - can't see Farren beating that. I say keep your money.
    He doesn't have to outscore their combined total to win the bet though. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Since 2005 Farren has been virtually ever present. He has an excellent disciplanary record and is heading the 2nd favourites to win the league title. Of course there's a "chance" he'll get injured and be out for the season but thats all part of the gamble. Personally I think Farren is gonna be streets ahead of anybody else this season and thus 4/1 represents value.

Anyway enjoy your weekend laughing boy!

Indeed. So much so that he was suspended for game 1 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Indeed. So much so that he was suspended for game 1 ;)
    And still managed to score? :eek: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eirebhoy wrote: »
    And still managed to score? :eek: ;)

Ahhh I see what happened. For some reason his suspension from last season doesn't take place til April 1st. What's with that?
    The following are player suspensions outstanding from the 2008 season, to be served during the 2009 season.

First team effective as and from Wednesday, 4th March 2009

GARY DEMPSEY (St. Patrick’s Athletic) 2 MATCHES Rule 100 of FAI Rules

JAMIE HARRIS (St. Patrick’s Athletic) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

KEITH KEARNEY (Wexford Youths) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

WILLIE JOHN KIELY (Waterford United) 1 MATCH Additional Red Card Suspension

AIDAN O’KEEFFE (Bray Wanderers) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

DAVID PARTRIDGE (St. Patrick’s Athletic) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

PHILIP REILLY (Athlone Town) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

DAVID SCULLY (Monaghan United) 3 MATCHES Additional Red Card Suspension

Technical Officials

GRAHAM DOYLE (Monaghan United) 7 MATCHES

EDDIE JACKMAN (Waterford United) Until 1st MAY 2009

DERMOT O’NEILL (Bohemians) 2 MATCHES

First team effective as and from Wednesday, 11th March 2009

DAVID BREEN (Wexford Youths) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

BARRY CLANCY (Monaghan United) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

CLIVE DELANEY (Derry City) 2 MATCHES 12 Yellow Cards

PAT FLYNN (Shamrock Rovers) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

COLM JINKS (Longford Town) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

ALAN KEANE (Sligo Rovers) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

DARREN MEENAN (Shelbourne) 2 MATCHES 12 Yellow Cards

DAVID O’CONNELL (Kildare County) 5 MATCHES Additional Red Card Suspension

DANNY O’CONNOR (Shamrock Rovers) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

SEAN O’CONNOR (Shamrock Rovers) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

PAUL ROSSITER (Wexford Youths 2 MATCHES Additional Red Card Suspension

DAMIEN RUSHE (Longford Town) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

DAVID RYAN (Limerick) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

BEN WHELEHAN (Dundalk) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

First team effective as and from Wednesday, 18th March 2009

SEAN BRENNAN (Monaghan United) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

PAUL BYRNE (Bray Wanderers) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

GLEN FITZPATRICK (St. Patrick’s Athletic) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

LUKE FITZPATRICK (Waterford United) 2 MATCHES 12 Yellow Cards

OWEN HEARY (Bohemians) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

ERIC LAVINE (Athlone Town) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

DAMIAN LYNCH (St. Patrick’s Athletic) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

DAVID McGILL (Shelbourne) 2 MATCHES 12 Yellow Cards

BARRY MOLLOY (Derry City) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

AARON MOONEY (Monaghan United) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

PAT SULLIVAN (Cork City) 2 MATCHES 12 Yellow Cards

First team effective as and from Wednesday, 25th March 2009

RAFFAELE CRETARO (Sligo Rovers) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

SHANE DUGGAN (Cork City) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

KIERAN FITZGERALD (Waterford United) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

RONAN FRAWLEY (Longford Town) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

DES HOPE (Athlone Town) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

JASON HUGHES (Limerick) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

JOHN LESTER (St. Patrick’s Athletic) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

DAVID O’DOWD (Mervue United) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

ALAN O’RIORDAN (Longford Town) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

MARK ROSSITER (Bohemians) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

DEREK TYRRELL (Sporting Fingal) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

PETER WHITE (Wexford Youths) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

First team effective as and from Wednesday, 1st April 2009

GARY DEEGAN (Bohemians) 3 MATCHES 16 Yellow Cards

MARK FARREN (Derry City) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

JASON MOLLOY (Galway United) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

DAVID O’CONNELL (Kildare County) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

A Championship as and from FIRST match of the season

DANIEL ENNIS (Bohemians) 1 MATCH FIFA Automatic Suspension

BRIAN GERAGHTY (Salthill Devon) 3 MATCHES Additional Red Card Suspension

EUGENE GREANEY (Salthill Devon) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

ROBBIE RYAN (Bohemians) 1 MATCH FIFA Automatic Suspension

GARETH WHELAN (Sporting Fingal) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

A Championship effective as and from SECOND match of 2009 Season

KEVIN DUFFY (Tullamore Town) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

CIARAN GREENE (Sligo Rovers) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

WAYNE McBRIDE (Cobh Ramblers) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

A Championship Technical Official as and from SECOND match of 2009 Season

MICK DOOLIN (Tullamore Town) 4 MATCHES

A Championship effective as and from FOURTH match of 2009 Season

DANIEL ENNIS (Bohemians) 1 MATCH Additional Red Card Suspension

A Championship effective as and from FIFTH match of 2009 Season

RYNAL BROWNE (Mervue United) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

GARY TRAYNOR (Mervue United) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

Underage League effective as and from FIRST match of 2009 Season

JOHN DINEEN (U.C.D.) 1 MATCH FIFA Automatic Suspension

DAVID GRINCELL (Waterford United) 1 MATCH FIFA Automatic Suspension

Underage League Technical Official effective as and from FIRST match of 2009 Season

SEAMUS FINNEGAN (Monaghan United) 2 MATCHES

Underage League effective as and from SECOND match of 2009 Season

JAMIE DUFFY (Sporting Fingal) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

JOHN MEEHAN (St. Patrick’s Athletic) 2 MATCHES Additional Red Card Suspension

Underage League effective as and from THIRD match of 2009 Season

GAVIN KINSELLA (St. Patrick’s Athletic) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

ROSS McLOUGHLIN (Sligo Rovers) 1 MATCH Additional Red Card Suspension

JOSEPH MULCAHY (Waterford United) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

STEPHEN MURPHY (Drogheda United) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

Underage League effective as and from FIFTH match of 2009 Season

WILLIAM McDONAGH (Galway United) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

MARK NICELL (Derry City) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

Underage League effective as and from SIXTH match of 2009 Season

DEREK KIERANS (Drogheda United) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

Underage League effective as and from SEVENTH match of 2009 Season

JOEY WALSH (Kilkenny City) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

WILLIAM WOODS (Drogheda United) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

Underage League Technical Official effective as and from EIGHTH match of 2009 Season

TOM POWER (Salthill Devon) 3 MATCHES

Underage League effective as and from NINTH match of 2009 Season

COLIN O’BRIEN (Dundalk) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

Underage League effective as and from TENTH match of 2009 Season

ADAM BYRNE (FC Carlow) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

Underage League effective as and from ELEVENTH match of 2009 Season

MARTIN HAMILTON (Derry City) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

ALEX LEE (Mervue United) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

LUKE McCONNELL (Salthill Devon) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

Some list!

Rovers launch extensive Tallaght ad campaign:

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/55-features/533-rovers-latest-advertising-campaign

Luas one is the business.

Can't wait for Friday. 1800 season tickets now sold.

Rovers launch extensive Tallaght ad campaign:

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/55-features/533-rovers-latest-advertising-campaign

Luas one is the business.

Can't wait for Friday. 1800 season tickets now sold.

It's a genius of an idea all together. Any rough estimate on how much the whole advertising idea cost?

It's a genius of an idea all together. Any rough estimate on how much the whole advertising idea cost?

No clue yet. Will find out at the AGM in a few weeks time, I'm sure. I've no doubt it cost a fair bit, but it's the correct kind of high expenditure imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

A lot of volunteer input and Rovers connections used so it cost less than you would imagine.

• Advertisement

Sporting receive planning boost

Fingal County Council has approved planning permission for a state-of-the-art new municipal sports complex which will incorporate a home venue for League of Ireland club Sporting Fingal.
    The new complex at Lusk, a facility which will be available to the entire north County Dublin region, will include indoor, outdoor and all-weather playing pitches as well as a 4700-capacity arena which will become the home venue of Sporting Fingal.
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/loi/news.asp?n=36061

It seems everyone's favourite franchise might be around for a while after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

That could be interesting.

Then again, Lusk is a bit out of the way. They will need to find some way to really encourage people to attend the games. Currently a good crowd either walk or use Dublin bus to attend. Out in Lusk, they will need plenty of parking or some bus service.

Nice to see Fingal invest in the area though, and the facilities will have a much wider use.

Somewhere like Swords would have been more suitable. Lusk is pretty far out, as mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Looks like theres a new north east derby on the cards

Lusk is pretty far out

When did Lusk become a Hippy Commune then?

hippy3.jpg

Woooahhhhh...faaaarrrr oooouuuutttt duuuuude

:pac:

sound will do. ill talk with my mate over the weekend and organise something

From club site:

Wednesday, 11 March 2009 09:40

Shamrock Rovers FC has confirmed that all tickets have been sold for the first game in Tallaght against Sligo Rovers this Friday evening.

Following unprecedented demand for season tickets with circa 2,000 sold, the availability of matchday tickets for this game was limited. These have been on sale at the club office up until last Saturday and were suspended on Monday.

Following a full reconciliation the club can confirm that all 3,500 seats for the historic first match have been sold.

Paulw wrote: »
    Nice to see Fingal invest in the area though, and the facilities will have a much wider use.
    Call me cynical, but I have a feeling that John O'Brien may have used his position as a senior executive officer in FCC to good effect in securing planning permission. Surely that represents a conflict of interests?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Call me cynical, but I have a feeling that John O'Brien may have used his position as a senior executive officer in FCC to good effect in securing planning permission. Surely that represents a conflict of interests?

Your cynical:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Probably need a new LOI news thread, as it aint the close season any more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Who he?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement